Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

lol. dude, with all due respect, that's highly illogical to think that the dees are coughing up 2 top 10's for Houston. At the moment we have pick 6. That is far too high for a 28 yr old back flanker. But I do think you're right in that Tim Lamb obviously showed interested in Houston so he clearly doesnt care about the future.
Take it up with Tom Morris

Take it up with Tom Morris
Tom Morris didn't say 2 x top 10's, you did. There's just no way. Even if we gave up this year's first rounder, and next years F1, we'd be getting ports F1 back. Regardless, Melbourne can count their lucky stars that we're not getting Houston but Tim Lamb should probably be immediately sacked for even contemplating it.

Houston has the runs on the board and is elite / AA for his position.
Pickett still has to take that next jump up, jury is still out

Why is he part of the convo? Port will want something substantial, he fits our needs and is a south Aussie. Would expect port to get into his ear

So worth more than Jason Horne Francis, interesting.

You are aware that there are players that play in different positions on the ground aren’t you? And that being elite in one position doesn’t mean that you are a better player than one that is elite in another position.
When you talk about elite players, you talk about elite players of the competition. Gawn is elite and not just elite in his ruck position.

When you talk about elite players, you talk about elite players of the competition. Gawn is elite and not just elite in his ruck position.
He was third in our b and f last year behind those two you mentioned. Looking a decent chance to receive a second consecutive all aus blazer and will be a top 4 finisher in our b and f this year. He isn’t max Gawn, but if that isn’t “elite” then it’s a pretty tough standard to measure up to. Seems like a standard that can really only apply to full time mids

Tom Morris didn't say 2 x top 10's, you did. There's just no way. Even if we gave up this year's first rounder, and next years F1, we'd be getting ports F1 back. Regardless, Melbourne can count their lucky stars that we're not getting Houston but Tim Lamb should probably be immediately sacked for even contemplating it.
Look, I don't know why you got so antsy, I think I've always been more open to discussion with you than most but without continuing to round in circles, I agree it was insane move by the people in charge and I'd be pretty angry as a supporter. Feels like people in charge looking after themselves rather than the club.

I'm not sure how that relates to Houston though. There would have to be 100 better players running around in the AFL. That's not to mention all of the other players who would have more value based on potential, age or position.

Port Power have done really well if they can turn Houston into anything better than pick 10. Credit to them for giving it a go.

Yeah definitely 100 better players than arguably the best half back in the comp, best kick in the comp and rated as the 10th best player in the comp by Champion Data as well as the best General Defender in the league 😅

This thread takes me back to a few years ago when rumors were flying about Georgiadies wanting a trade, and West Coast and Melbourne fans were convinced he was only worth a third-round pick—even though his stats in his first two years compared favorably with most elite key forwards of the last decade.

Now, with Dan on the brink of back-to-back All-Australian selections, a spot in the leadership group, and a contract for the next three years, he’s getting the same kind of undervaluation.

Let’s lock this thread and only reopen it when a trade actually happens, because it’s clear that most posters here have no clue what they’re talking about.

Last edited:
Yeah definitely 100 better players than arguably the best half back in the comp, best kick in the comp and rated as the 10th best player in the comp by Champion Data as well as the best General Defender in the league 😅
I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious. Most sides would have at least 5 or 6 players better than Houston which takes him out of the top 100. That doesn't make him a bad player by any stretch, but if he is worth 2 first round picks then so are a whole lot of others, to the point where it doesn't really make sense.

I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious. Most sides would have at least 5 or 6 players better than Houston which takes him out of the top 100. That doesn't make him a bad player by any stretch, but if he is worth 2 first round picks then so are a whole lot of others, to the point where it doesn't really make sense.

Pretty clear you’re trolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty clear you’re trolling.
I can assure you that I am not. Clearly we differ in our rating of Houston but I am staggered that you would disagree so vehemently. I can't think of one club in which Houston would be a top three player. That would make him outside the top 60 players in the AFL. Suggesting that there would be at least another 40 players better than him is not outlandish. You may disagree but calling it trolling is being either unfair or ingenuine.

I can assure you that I am not. Clearly we differ in our rating of Houston but I am staggered that you would disagree so vehemently. I can't think of one club in which Houston would be a top three player. That would make him outside the top 60 players in the AFL. Suggesting that there would be at least another 40 players better than him is not outlandish. You may disagree but calling it trolling is being either unfair or ingenuine.
What clubs would Houston be a top 3 player at in your opinion? I could maybe see Hawthorn being one now that I look at it.

I've been unimpressed with his last 2 week. Stats inflated by chippy chip and kickins. Not worth a top 10 pick for a club like Melbourne. Maybe for a top 4 team who is in the premiership window.

What clubs would Houston be a top 3 player at in your opinion? I could maybe see Hawthorn being one now that I look at it.
Your team to start the list. Arguably your best player is playing the position he's playing atm. Houston would play that position 10 times better than dawson, so dawson can go back to playing his best football in his preferred position.

Your team to start the list. Arguably your best player is playing the position he's playing atm. Houston would play that position 10 times better than dawson, so dawson can go back to playing his best football in his preferred position.
I won't compare him to Adelaide players because I'm sure that I'm too biased to do that honestly. The fact that you think he is 10x better than who you consider Adelaide's best player shows that you are probably also not capable of doing that. So I don't think we should count that one.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back