Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett is 4 years older than Sheezel and 2 years older than Darcy, who is a KPP, as we know generally take longer to develop too. Saying that both Sheezel and Darcy have performed far better than Pickett this year

Pickett is the #4 rated general forward in the comp by CD.

He's also the youngest in the top 10.

He's one of the absolute best forward half pressure players in the league also.

No list manager in the league would trade Pickett for Houston straight up, let alone throw a top 10 pick in addition to it.

They'd be sacked the very next morning.

Pickett, Rankine and Moore would probably be the 3 most valuable general forwards in the entire comp given their age and ability at the moment. Also, dependent on how you classify Sheezel now.

1721915185525.png

Last edited:

Definitely has a feeling of Port being more than open to it. It sort of makes sense. They have some nice HBFs and getting back onto draft could be a thing for them
I think they are confident of landing Perryman so they can afford to push out a player to try to get some draft capital. But surely melbourne are not parting with pick 9 in this draft for him. Maybe tgey split it and give of a later 1st and a future 2nd which seems about right as he is in contract.

If it was butters then yeah, 2 firsts forsure

Pickett is 4 years older than Sheezel and 2 years older than Darcy, who is a KPP, as we know generally take longer to develop too. Saying that both Sheezel and Darcy have performed far better than Pickett this year

It’s much harder to become AA as a small forward. That said Houston got AA when he was 3 years older than Pickett is now so not sure that it’s a good hard stick here.

Pickett is the #4 rated general forward in the comp by CD.

He's also the youngest in the top 10.

No list manager in the league would trade Pickett for Houston, let alone throw a top 10 pick in addition to it.

They'd be sacked the very next morning.

View attachment 2058892
I rate Pickett similar to Rankine in terms of what he could become and thats a very very high end burst mid / forward.

I think they are confident of landing Perryman so they can afford to push out a player to try to get some draft capital. But surely melbourne are not parting with pick 9 in this draft for him. Maybe tgey split it and give of a later 1st and a future 2nd which seems about right as he is in contract.

Nah, I can see them convincing themselves it's worth it. Houston is very very good and they aren't actively in the race without knowing what it will cost. In a vacuum, one borderline top 10 pick feels appropriate given he is contracted (full value).

All that doesn't make it any less dumb IMO. Would make more sense for a team on the up that could really his type. North have enough youn talent and it would be the perfect type of move for them if they traded down IMO

No way port would take anything less than pick 9 as the starting point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will be in the AA 40 again this year and arguably push for the 22

And still wouldn't be worth the same as the 10th or 12th best small forward in the game.

I don't think a list manager would trade Cody Weightman or Brent Daniels for him in all honesty.

Elite pressure small forwards are one of the hottest commodities in the league and half backs the most plentiful and easily replaced.

Nah, I can see them convincing themselves it's worth it. Houston is very very good and they aren't actively in the race without knowing what it will cost. In a vacuum, one borderline top 10 pick feels appropriate given he is contracted (full value).

All that doesn't make it any less dumb IMO. Would make more sense for a team on the up that could really his type. North have enough youn talent and it would be the perfect type of move for them if they traded down IMO

One thing we don't need any more of is half backs.

In fact, I'd rather simply draft someone like Finn O'Sullivan to play off half back for 15 year (like Whitfield) than trade down for someone like Houston who likely is going to be done before we'd be seriously contending anyway.

One thing we don't need any more of is half backs.

In fact, I'd rather simply draft someone like Finn O'Sullivan to play off half back for 15 year (like Whitfield) than trade down for someone like Houston who likely is going to be done before we'd be seriously contending anyway.
Can't keep moving those talented kids up the ground? Experienced heads in defence make a world of difference I think.

As of right now Houston and Pickett are worth the same price. Pickett could be worth more but his trade value took a dive this season.

I have no idea how.

He's averaging 1.7 goals per game and almost 6 SI per game and he's close to the #1 forward half pressure player in the league.

Eddie Betts career average was 1.8 goals per game and he's one of the best of the modern era.

Can't keep moving those talented kids up the ground? Experienced heads in defence make a world of difference I think.

We can, but we have already taken some talented half backs.

I'd much rather Goater back from injury and Riley Hardeman long term than using a top 10 pick on a half back we already have 2-3 first round picks invested in the position.

Rankine is a top 5 pick because he has that game winning ability. Pickett lacks that ability.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

We can, but we have already took some talented half backs.

I'd much rather Goater back from injury and Riley Hardeman long term than using a top 10 pick on a half back we already have 2-3 first round picks invested into the position.

Getting experienced heads from other successful (for the most part) clubs can add more value than talent. Comes down to balance really.

That said if you go too many talented kids at once you will also run into cap issues later.

Getting experienced heads from other successful (for the most part) clubs can add more value than talent. Comes down to balance really.

That said if you go too many talented kids at once you will also run into cap issues later.

Im not doubting that.

But it's simply not a position I'd want to be targeting.

We can literally roll McKercher, Goater, Hardeman through there over the next decade if we want too.

I'd much rather take that pick to the draft and take one of the best versatile mids or key forwards in the draft.

Noah Balta and Ed Richards as Free Agents next year? Yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back