Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting experienced heads from other successful (for the most part) clubs can add more value than talent. Comes down to balance really.

That said if you go too many talented kids at once you will also run into cap issues later.
Look wiser heads will see what they see but a few on our board and a couple of the draft board guru's are rating this draft as one of the best in years and its a deep one too. So maybe if pick 9 was needed, then getting a 2nd rounder back might be a bargaining spot as they may get a great kid anyway in the 2nd round if others are to be believed

Look wiser heads will see what they see but a few on our board and a couple of the draft board guru's are rating this draft as one of the best in years and its a deep one too. So maybe if pick 9 was needed, then getting a 2nd rounder back might be a bargaining spot as they may get a great kid anyway in the 2nd round if others are to be believed

Port probably want Draper, particularly if Adelaide are public in stating they are shopping their own pick for experienced players.

Port will have to give up a hell of a lot more than Houston to secure him from their current hand.

I don't think the trade will happen. Port will want too much for Houston. And dees won't give up 2 first rounders for a 27 year old. If they are 2 first rounders, they'd have to be picks in the teens.
I wouldn't be worried about his age. Since the start of 2021, he’s only missed two games and has been the most consistent player we have. He’s as durable and reliable as anyone, definitely the type of player that plays with good form even in their 30s.

I doubt Port will demand two firsts if Melbourne finishes with a top 10 pick.

Sounds more like Port are trying to offload him than any club coming to buy him so that will impact trade value also.
What gives you that idea?

I wouldn't be worried about his age. Since the start of 2021, he’s only missed two games and has been the most consistent player we have. He’s as durable and reliable as anyone, definitely the type of player that plays with good form even in their 30s.

yeah, but Father Time catches up with everyone. Salem is showing signs at 29. I respect that's he's durable but even if he plays until 32. it's only 5 years of service whereas a draftee could play for 14 (caveat being they pick a decent player). I'd be happy if we passed on Houston, not because he's bad but because he'd cost too much and we're not in the premiership window so what's the point. We need a key forward, ruckman and mids at the draft/trade period. throwing all of our needs away to pick up a 5 year servant at bet ins't wise.

I spoke with our CEO Matthew Richardson at a members pre game event before the Richmond game.

I asked if the Houston rumours were full of shit. He replied 'yes it is'

Make of it what you will. Im not here arguing he is staying or leaving and I'm simply providing information. To me he seemed honest and genuine with his reply.

I hope he stays as he is elite and irreplaceable for us.

One of the weirder rumours, would take a massive amount of draft cpaital to get this done.

How many AA's does Pickett have? How many AA squads does Pickett have?

Houston for Pickett and pick around 10 is right
WTF? That's way overs for Houston.

Dees are mad if they give up 2 1st round picks for a HBF. They need mids and a decent KPF alongside JVR. Oh and a 2nd ruck. I can see them going all in to try and pinch a other flag while May and Gawn are still playing well, but I dont think Dan Houston will be the difference...

I would agree, from memory he is the same age as when Burgoyne went to Hawthorn?

I like Houston as a player but the asking price will be too high particularly with comprised drafts on the horizon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give me an elite goal kicking small forward that can go through the middle over an elite half back any day.

You can find a very good half back anywhere. Mitch Hinge sat on the bench for years at Brisbane, gets delisted and offered a lifeline at the crows, and he's turned into a player thats at least 80% of Houston. Pickett has a skillset few players in the comp have, and is a LOT younger.

Do feel like people form opinions based on fantasy numbers sometimes.

any chance you've watched any footy this year? He's had a good season. Career high for disposals and 1.7 goals per game is his 2nd highest.
Yes I do. The dees games I've watched pickett gets a couple of goals mostly on transition in games but his last season he was more active around the ground and running defensively. His workrate has dropped off outside the 50 and it shows as it effects the rest of the team.

WTF? That's way overs for Houston.

Dees are mad if they give up 2 1st round picks for a HBF. They need mids and a decent KPF alongside JVR. Oh and a 2nd ruck. I can see them going all in to try and pinch a other flag while May and Gawn are still playing well, but I dont think Dan Houston will be the difference...

Agree we’d be insane to give up two firsts. If port are hell bent on that I’m happy to not get him. Feel like this is a very hard deal to get done without us getting bent over.

Agree we’d be insane to give up two firsts. If port are hell bent on that I’m happy to not get him. Feel like this is a very hard deal to get done without us getting bent over.
I think for it to be so open already, Port are more open to it then they will publicly admit. Won't be as expensive as you'd think and as others have said, Port have a history of being comfortable letting players go to get value.

You can find a very good half back anywhere. Mitch Hinge sat on the bench for years at Brisbane, gets delisted and offered a lifeline at the crows, and he's turned into a player thats at least 80% of Houston. Pickett has a skillset few players in the comp have, and is a LOT younger.

Do feel like people form opinions based on fantasy numbers sometimes.
Hinge was injured forever and has gotten his body right and turned into a real good player. Very different player to Houston, more defensive minded but a good user of the ball. You can make the argument that Houston is the best kick in the entire competition, both coming out defensive 50 and kicking into forward 50. This isn't something to just brush off as fantasy numbers.

Kozzie plays a very difficult position extremely well, and due to the difficulty of that position his impact will fluctuate not only from game to game but throughout 4 quarters. I guess he has the untapped potential of running through the middle more as his career progresses, I personally don't it will amount to anything but spot minutes here or there.

I think for it to be so open already, Port are more open to it then they will publicly admit. Won't be as expensive as you'd think and as others have said, Port have a history of being comfortable letting players go to get value.

Maybe it’s just my pessimism, I think a realistic deal is a first and a second. Any more than that feels really bad for our list profile long term.

Maybe it’s just my pessimism, I think a realistic deal is a first and a second. Any more than that feels really bad for our list profile long term.
Given I don't see you making finals, surely one top 10 pick gets everyone what they want. I really hope for Melbourne fans sanity that nothing else is chucked in if it gets done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back