Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I spoke with our CEO Matthew Richardson at a members pre game event before the Richmond game.

I asked if the Houston rumours were full of shit. He replied 'yes it is'

Make of it what you will. Im not here arguing he is staying or leaving and I'm simply providing information. To me he seemed honest and genuine with his reply.

I hope he stays as he is elite and irreplaceable for us.
Seemed odd that he only recently signed a contract extension for him to be on the move..so your comment sort of fts unless there is something coming that they are keeping close to their chest

Lets line him up against Tex Walkers field kicking... a guy that can hit a grasshopper from 65m with either foot
He has something against grasshoppers as well?? He really is a shit bloke.

I like Houston and he would be perfect for the Dees but these are the types of trades that can set your club back years (see Tim Kelly, Hopper/Taranto etc.) especially when the players you see go for the picks traded turn into guns.

I like Houston and he would be perfect for the Dees but these are the types of trades that can set your club back years (see Tim Kelly, Hopper/Taranto etc.) especially when the players you see go for the picks traded turn into guns.
Taranto was a fine trade, Hopper stings so far.

Dees are going to drop back for a few years once May and Gawn finish up. Viney already looks to be on the decline. Clarry who knows. Even Tmac who's playing regularly probably only has 1 season left, Tomlinson will probably leave. Lever will probably struggle a bit without his partner there. Salem looks washed.

So by 2026 all of Gawn, May, Viney, Tmac, Brown, Tomlinson, Melksham, Hunter, Schache, Fullarton will all be finished up or just hanging on. That's a lot of key position starters and depth gone.

If they're chips in on trying to pinch another flag in the next 2 years Houston would be a great addition but they need to find another 2nd ruck/KPF and accept the fact that there is going to be a fairly large drop off soon after IMO.

Taranto was a fine trade, Hopper stings so far.

Dees are going to drop back for a few years once May and Gawn finish up. Viney already looks to be on the decline. Clarry who knows. Even Tmac who's playing regularly probably only has 1 season left, Tomlinson will probably leave. Lever will probably struggle a bit without his partner there. Salem looks washed.

So by 2026 all of Gawn, May, Viney, Tmac, Brown, Tomlinson, Melksham, Hunter, Schache, Fullarton will all be finished up or just hanging on. That's a lot of key position starters and depth gone.

If they're chips in on trying to pinch another flag in the next 2 years Houston would be a great addition but they need to find another 2nd ruck/KPF and accept the fact that there is going to be a fairly large drop off soon after IMO.
Unpopular even when I discussed it on the Freo board but I'm sure they would be closer to a flag trading out Petracca then trading in Houston. They have a good start on the next core, this is just going to end in maybe finishing 5th and delaying the cliff by a few years which is even worse with the Tassie and maybe even 20th team drafts coming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unpopular even when I discussed it on the Freo board but I'm sure they would be closer to a flag trading out Petracca then trading in Houston. They have a good start on the next core, this is just going to end in maybe finishing 5th and delaying the cliff by a few years which is even worse with the Tassie and maybe even 20th team drafts coming
No way. That'd rip the soul out of the club IMO. Who would be left to carry the team on their shoulders? Gawn and May are nearing the end, Viney battling a bit. Petracca is the last guy I'd be trading.

Better off trading Fritsch or something like that if they want draft capital IMO. What they should have done is let Petty go to Crows last year.

Love it how Port fans are claiming Pickett isnt worth much but are all over social media fanning over the idea of him being included in the trade.

Houston has the runs on the board and is elite / AA for his position.
Pickett still has to take that next jump up, jury is still out

Why is he part of the convo? Port will want something substantial, he fits our needs and is a south Aussie. Would expect port to get into his ear
No one is coming thru the gates to watch Dan Houston as good as he is, Kozzy sells memberships. If you dont think this plays into a clubs thinking you are wrong.
As for the jury being out, play Kozzy in a more up tempo team where he gets some space and one on ones unlike he does with Melbourne the majority of weeks and youre looking at an AA no questions asked. Its sucks being a forward in Melbourne's shit system.

Last edited:
No way. That'd rip the soul out of the club IMO. Who would be left to carry the team on their shoulders? Gawn and May are nearing the end, Viney battling a bit. Petracca is the last guy I'd be trading.

Better off trading Fritsch or something like that if they want draft capital IMO. What they should have done is let Petty go to Crows last year.
Maybe it's the NBA rubbing off on me but clubs definitely veer towards topping up way too much compared to rewiring the list. Would I push him out? No, but I'd ask what he thinks and keep Viney, Gawn and co as the leaders.

Teams coaching and list managers just prioritise themselves too much and refuse to acknowledge when a list is done. Melbourne actually have some top end youth to build around, why not capitalise and lean into it rather than sit in no man's land for a few years before falling in a heap? Do you think anyone over 26 on that team is playing in their next flag?

Houston’s AA when he was 3 years older than Kozzie is now. Pickett could have multiple AAs by the time he gets to Houston’s age. He also has a flag under his belt as well if we want to talk resumes.

I would do Petracca. Imagine injecting him into Freo as they push for a flag.

We got blokes like ANB, Lever and Viney who can provide that level of required leadership for youth coming in.

He also has a flag under his belt as well if we want to talk resumes.
Mich, please, there are so many points you could make as to why Koz is more valuable than people realise but this is so cringe when people bring up flags won on their resume as a selling point, particularly when they did sweet FA in that granny.

Maybe it's the NBA rubbing off on me but clubs definitely veer towards topping up way too much compared to rewiring the list. Would I push him out? No, but I'd ask what he thinks and keep Viney, Gawn and co as the leaders.

Teams coaching and list managers just prioritise themselves too much and refuse to acknowledge when a list is done. Melbourne actually have some top end youth to build around, why not capitalise and lean into it rather than sit in no man's land for a few years before falling in a heap? Do you think anyone over 26 on that team is playing in their next flag?
I think it's too early pull the rip cord on Melbourne. Teams on the way down can easily have some luck and challenge again if the year goes well. If Oliver gets right, minimal injuries, JVR does a Treacy and all of a sudden Melbourne are contending next year and might pinch one. No way they should be selling the future for that chance but don't chuck everything away either.

I think the league is very volatile at the moment too and the next Dynasty has not yet emerged. Once that starts and it's really only signaled with multiple flags, then cautiously look the future. Melbourne don't really have the luxury of deliberately bottoming out either, they need fans turning up to games.

We got blokes like ANB, Lever and Viney who can provide that level of required leadership for youth coming in.
Oh man, I'd be comfortable giving up the world. If we could get him for next year it's all 3 picks without thinking and you could push for a decent kid thrown in.

AFL list management has already started to head down the more "mature" route with dumping of Treloar and Grundy. It's got no choice with the ridiculous 50 year contracts being handed out. Gradually these teams will move to be more comfortable trading out 27-28 year old stars like Trac to align their list better. Let's see if Port (Houston), Richmond (Bolton) and WC (Barass) bite the bullet this year.

Michael Jordan Agree GIF

Oh man, I'd be comfortable giving up the world. If we could get him for next year it's all 3 picks without thinking and you could push for a decent kid thrown in.

AFL list management has already started to head down the more "mature" route with dumping of Treloar and Grundy. It's got no choice with the ridiculous 50 year contracts being handed out. Gradually these teams will move to be more comfortable trading out 27-28 year old stars like Trac to align their list better. Let's see if Port (Houston), Richmond (Bolton) and WC (Barass) bite the bullet this year.
Slow down Belly, you don't lead off the negotiations with your best offer.

Have a feeling Dees will want to offload there 2025 first as we have a ruck/forward academy kid coming through Tairon Ah-Mu 198cm who is a unit and likely first rounder

IMG_9004.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back