Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

For a player who is likely to be going into the trade period as a two time All Australian, rated one of the top 10 players in the league, one of just three defenders that appear in the top 20, the top rated General Defender.

Tim Taranto a 0 time All Australian just went for two first round picks.

And you think pick 7 + slight extras for a player with three seasons remaining on his contract?
Tarranto in his first year with Tigers - 25 yo

Houston in his first year with ?? - 28 yo

Cal saying again that he believes Houston will be at Melbourne next year.
Thinks it'll be melbs first this year and next with some late picks going back to melb

Saying pick 7 isnt to high a starting point.

Seems a strange one, unless melb thinks they can share one more premiership with gawn may etc

Personally i think Melbourne will get Houston to play as a starting midfielder.

He walks into that midfield as probably the most inform player out of any of them

If Melbourne cough up our future for a 28 yr old when we're in a clear rebuild then I'm not signing up to be a member until that draft picks career has finished, likely to be in 10-15 years.

Tim Lamb must get sacked if we go ahead with this stupid idea

Depends, if Kalani White nominates Melbourne over GC next year we can afford to trade it.

Just turned 27 a few months ago.
Has missed maybe 10 games in the last 6-7 years.
Barely ever cops an injury and doesn't have the wear and tear on his body other 27 year old would have.

2 x All Australian
Arguably the best kick in the competition
Rated as a top 10 player in the comp by Champion Data and been the best mid sized rebounding defender for 3 years in a row.
Is an excellent mark, elite ball user, can play defense, midfield or go forward and kick goals from 60 as well.
Can play 1 on 1, off his opponent, runs both ways.
Rates as above average or elite in nearly every single measurable category.

Doesn't really have a comparison to any other players.
Jack Sinclair, Tom Stewart, Whitfield would be comparative but are quite a bit older.
Sheezel, Holmes, Clark, NWM younger versions.

A pick around 10 + later future 1st seems about right.

Contracted, versatile, healthy, elite player isn't that much to ask. Can fill basically any required position a club needs and you'd find maybe 2-3 players in the league with his skill set and ability.

It's tough to compare as we haven't really seen a 27 year old, long term contracted all australian that can play multiple positions and is elite or above average at nearly every skill in the league be traded in the last decade.

Cal saying again that he believes Houston will be at Melbourne next year.
Thinks it'll be melbs first this year and next with some late picks going back to melb

Saying pick 7 isnt to high a starting point.

Seems a strange one, unless melb thinks they can share one more premiership with gawn may etc
You'd do that deal if you're Port. Crazy by Dees if it pans out that way.

Depends, if Kalani White nominates Melbourne over GC next year we can afford to trade it.
completely irrelevant to coughing up pick 7 for a 28 year old. Kalani White isn't even a first round prospect at this stage.

What does picking up Houston even do? get us from 13th to 11th? DUMB DUMB DUMB. I will be calling for Tim Lamb's head if does this.

Just turned 27 a few months ago.
Has missed maybe 10 games in the last 6-7 years.
Barely ever cops an injury and doesn't have the wear and tear on his body other 27 year old would have.

2 x All Australian
Arguably the best kick in the competition
Rated as a top 10 player in the comp by Champion Data and been the best mid sized rebounding defender for 3 years in a row.
Is an excellent mark, elite ball user, can play defense, midfield or go forward and kick goals from 60 as well.
Can play 1 on 1, off his opponent, runs both ways.
Rates as above average or elite in nearly every single measurable category.

Doesn't really have a comparison to any other players.
Jack Sinclair, Tom Stewart, Whitfield would be comparative but are quite a bit older.
Sheezel, Holmes, Clark, NWM younger versions.

A pick around 10 + later future 1st seems about right.

Contracted, versatile, healthy, elite player isn't that much to ask. Can fill basically any required position a club needs and you'd find maybe 2-3 players in the league with his skill set and ability.

It's tough to compare as we haven't really seen a 27 year old, long term contracted all australian that can play multiple positions and is elite or above average at nearly every skill in the league be traded in the last decade.
I can understand you wanting that for Houston but Melbourne is probably the worst club to have high demands for as we're the start of a rebuild. That said Tim Lamb is a clown so who knows.

completely irrelevant to coughing up pick 7 for a 28 year old. Kalani White isn't even a first round prospect at this stage.

White was All Australian Under 16 and has dominated again this year.

So was Steven May, Houston would easily be our best acquisition since 2018 - but I would use the Future 1st and not this years.

So was Steven May, Houston would easily be our best acquisition since 2018 - but I would use the Future 1st and not this years.
From what others have told me, he has been underwhelming. From those in the know, he is a long way off it and it was apparently a real surprise that he was in the AA U16 team.

Houston would be great, for 3-4 years, that's it. What's the point. It's a mind boggling dumb acquisition given our playing list.

Regardless, with all due respect, we're not in the right position to be having a tilt at the flag. We are a bottom 4 team on current form and next season Viney, May, Oliver, Petracca, Neal-Bullen, Gawn Langdon etc. are only getting slower, not faster.

We have no ruck outside Gawn, no key forwards outside Van Rooyen, an ageing and slow midfield with absolutely no depth coming through outside of Windsor. Tholstrup really needs to improve his speed to make it at afl level.

We need to hit the draft hard over several years, certainly not pick up a 28 year old Houston that will cost us so much draft capital. We will never recover from the Houston trade. Especially with Tasmania coming in. It'll have a 10 year impact on the club, trading out a top 10 pick in a bumper draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what others have told me, he has been underwhelming. From those in the know, he is a long way off it and it was apparently a real surprise that he was in the AA U16 team.

Houston would be great, for 3-4 years, that's it. What's the point. It's a mind boggling dumb acquisition given our playing list.

Regardless, with all due respect, we're not in the right position to be having a tilt at the flag. We are a bottom 4 team on current form and next season Viney, May, Oliver, Petracca, Neal-Bullen, Gawn Langdon etc. are only getting slower, not faster.

We have no ruck outside Gawn, no key forwards outside Van Rooyen, an ageing and slow midfield with absolutely no depth coming through outside of Windsor. Tholstrup really needs to improve his speed to make it at afl level.

We need to hit the draft hard over several years, certainly not pick up a 28 year old Houston that will cost us so much draft capital. We will never recover from the Houston trade. Especially with Tasmania coming in. It'll have a 10 year impact on the club, trading out a top 10 pick in a bumper draft.

I believe we can rectify, recalibrate and go again whilst we still have some key pillars. But we need to absolutely nail this off-season and the pre-season and fix some of these underlying issues (ball movement, strategies, etc) and players with foot skills (like Houston).

Yes we do need to find a ruck from somewhere but we the rest of the pieces to go again. Otherwise it will be a wasted era.

I believe we can rectify, recalibrate and go again whilst we still have some key pillars. But we need to absolutely nail this off-season and the pre-season and fix some of these underlying issues (ball movement, strategies, etc) and players with foot skills (like Houston).

Yes we do need to find a ruck from somewhere but we the rest of the pieces to go again. Otherwise it will be a wasted era.
It's scary to think that there are still people like yourself that still hold hope. We're done. It's time to rebuild and hit the draft hard. Do you really want to be a bottom 4 team for 10 years? Because that's what's going to happen if we trade out precious picks for Houston.

Who are the key pillars? Steven May who got taken to the absolute cleaners by Waterman and is slowing down. Oliver who is half the player he was. Lever who costs us 4 goals a game with horrific game sense. Would you trade Windsor for Houston? If not, then there's no logical reason to trade Pick 7 for Houston.

Not that simple if say Harry Perryman comes in with the salary cap relief moving Houston on provides.

You will get your 1 known quantity and 1 magic bean in reality
Houston's contract was signed in 2022, you know before he became an All Australian. He doesn't have a big money contract. Its just a long length for stability. Theres unlikely to be any salary cap relief between signing on Perryman and taking Houston off the books.

Houston's contract was signed in 2022, you know before he became an All Australian. He doesn't have a big money contract. Its just a long length for stability. Theres unlikely to be any salary cap relief between signing on Perryman and taking Houston off the books.
Maths is

Houston on 600k a season, pick 7 on 300k a season. That’s 1 mill saved. Up Perryman offer by 1 mill to guarantee he comes

Maths is

Houston on 600k a season, pick 7 on 300k a season. That’s 1 mill saved. Up Perryman offer by 1 mill to guarantee he comes
Pick 7 is a cost to Port's salary cap not a saving.

Houston off the books is 600k reduction, pick 7 is a 300k cost, also likely replacing a bottom run player who was a late draft pick. so its around a 500k saving. Which is never going to get Perryman.

I don't get it from a melb perspective, he's an out and out star I get that but are melb going to contend for the next couple years?

I like it from a ports point of view. Even if it is just pick 7 and say a few pick up grades. We are chasing Perryman and Cummings. Get one or both of them and a high pick.
I will literally stop supporting Melbourne and jump elsewhere if we do part with pick 7.

We are no where near contending next year and the goal for us should be for a mini rebuild along the way.

This has Tim Lambs grubby hands written all over it.

No.. he hasn't dominated this year. Played one game for the Allies and was left out of the team for the rest of the carnival.

His form at Coates leage level has been sub par.

Port is by far the club most willing to "change things up" and be aggressive with trades. They clearly want back in the draft and see an opportunity to extort a club in a position they can cover.

I cant understate how much I hate this move from Melbourne. This is going to make the Tim Kelly, Wingard and Taranto/Hopper moves look like good ideas

Port is by far the club most willing to "change things up" and be aggressive with trades. They clearly want back in the draft and see an opportunity to extort a club in a position they can cover.

I cant understate how much I hate this move from Melbourne. This is going to make the Tim Kelly, Wingard and Taranto/Hopper moves look like good ideas
Yep port have no problems pushing out a player in contract to get something they want and as much as I hate that club, I respect how they try and make things happen. I hope they get unders for Houston so they can't get the better player in this draft, but thats just me. Not always does it work, but they are prepared to take that risk and go all in and thats a failing of my club in many of our supporters eyes.

There is no chance port are “pushing Houston out”. He is in the top handful of players at our club and there aren’t many realistic trade scenarios that involve him that make us a better team. It sounds like he might want to get back to Melbourne for personal reasons and we will facilitate that it we can get a deal that works for us. It’s making the best of a shit situation from our perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back