Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m still interested to hear why people believe the Suns would so willingly offer up pick 6 (pick 7 after Ashcroft) when they could actually use that pick to select a highly rated prospect before the Lombard bid?

Surely even Tigers fans agree that Pick 6-7 Player, Lombard, Rioli and Noble is a better haul for GCS than without.

Particularly when IMO Pick 13 is exactly in Rioli’s range (plus they could add almost anything else eg. 2nd rounder, to get it over the line.)
Pick 13 I think is a little low for Rioli. Having said that, I think the equation is this:
  • 6 is likely to become 7, or even 8.
  • 13 is likely to become 15, or even 16.
  • He is contracted and wanted at Richmond, which always leads to overs.
  • He has been specifically targeted by GC leading to his request to move, which always leads to overs.
  • There is a good chance we get another 2-3 picks between 10-17 already, so we will want something at the pointier end.
  • We wouldn't want a 2nd round pick to balance it out as we have 21 and 29 already. Baker is very likely to add to that (WC 23).
For comparison, in '16 we targeted an out of contract Prestia who had played only 22 games (I think) over the previous two years due to injury. We coughed up 6 + our future 2nd rounder (we finished 13th in '16) for Prestia and 24. At the time we were all furious, it retrospect he was easily worth that.

Add it all up and 6 (7 or 8) is still overs, but not by anywhere near as much as people think. Would not surprise me if it was 6 + salary or a late pick or two to help with the Lombard bid, with both clubs happy. Would also not surprise me if this is already agreed and done on day 1.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple really, they actually want Rioli. You might value him as pick 13 but he his contracted, so it's more about what are Gold Coast prepared to give up getting Richmond to agree.

The way Gold Coast's list is atm, they obviously see getting Rioli higher than being able to draft another young player to their already young list when they know they will still be getting Lombard.

Or they’ll just pay pick 13 and possibly (the shouldn’t imo) a later pick.

Doubt Richmond would want another later pick when they already have ample.

Future second then. Pick 13 and a future second is ample for Rioli.

Or bundle up later picks to move up yourself.

I literally just cant fathom GCS wasting an opportunity to get a highly talented kid in the draft ahead of the bid for Lombard.

Pretty absurd reasoning IMO.

Noble is contracted until end of 2026. I guess we should expect way overs in the form of Pick 13…

But alas we are fairly realistic and expect that we will probably get pick 26 at most.
Please dont mention Noble in the same post as Rioli, its so insulting.

I literally just cant fathom GCS wasting an opportunity to get a highly talented kid in the draft ahead of the bid for Lombard.
I agree, but it does highlight how much they value him.

Suns won't be giving up future picks with their academy churning out guns like they are.

Early picks to GC do not hold the same weight as they do to all other clubs, they're all but guaranteed access to gun academy kids every year.

For once they have gun peak aged players wanting to come to their club and all the neutrals and most fans are jumping up and down. Give me a spell.

As I've already said, it's about what are Gold Coast prepared to pay Richmond. It will be pick 6, I have no doubt about it.

Gold coast already have enough talented kids, this is all about making the finals now with the list they already have, not waiting another 4 years for another kid to develop.

Doubt Richmond would want another later pick when they already have ample.
Would t that just be up to Richmond to bundle this picks up themselves and move up the order?

The benefit of having an academy or FS to match is when you get an extra pick before the bid, thus compounding the value even more.
Suns doing the reverse makes no sense

Would t that just be up to Richmond to bundle this picks up themselves and move up the order?

The benefit of having an academy or FS to match is when you get an extra pick before the bid, thus compounding the value even more.
Why would Richmond want to try and bundle up later picks when a high pick is already there available? Seems like a tonne of work for nothing.

As I've already said, it's about what are Gold Coast prepared to pay Richmond. It will be pick 6, I have no doubt about it.

Gold coast already have enough talented kids, this is all about making the finals now with the list they already have, not waiting another 4 years for another kid to develop.
This myth about Gold Coast having a talented side makes me laugh too.
They are a bottom 6 side with holes everywhere on their list.

I don’t think they have a single player in the top 30 players in the AFL.

A long way off just topping up with a half back flanker like Rioli

At the same time, everyone, even the Suns are talking like this is done. I'm pretty sure they are handing over 6. It's just Richmonds turn to get freebies from the draft pick slot machine.

You might need to convince Hardwick of this theory. As I've already said Gold Coast no longer want to wait another 4 years on a kid that potentially gets taken away from them anyway, when there is an established player willing to play for them.
Being a Freo supporter you would know full well that Gold Coast are more than happy to pay overs for a player with some talent who wants to play for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty absurd reasoning IMO.

Noble is contracted until end of 2026. I guess we should expect way overs in the form of Pick 13…

But alas we are fairly realistic and expect that we will probably get pick 26 at most.
Should you hold and get your value for him because he's in contract for 2 more years?

Absolutely.

Rioli has 3 years to go on a contract. If the GC want him, I can't see it being cheap. Ditto Bolton.

On the other hand, Richmond probably won't get much for Baker because........he's OOC.

Not sure about that Ed. Midfield of Witts/Moyle, Anderson, Miller & Rowell is excellent. Collins and Ballard are solid KPDs, Big Mac and King KPFs. Flanders, Humphry, Graham, Clohesy, Uwland, Weller, Powell all decent-gun wing/flankers. Read, Walter, Rogers coming through. Suns are solid everywhere, just need some maturity and confidence in the game plan.

Clearly Dimma wants to emulate the run and gun peak tigers gameplan from the dynasty with Rioli and Noble.

So you think Richmond should just roll over and let a contracted player walk without pushing for a good deal, when their player has been tapped up by the oppo club?

Be interesting to see your thoughts on, say, Issac Quaynor being tapped up, and someone saying similar to what you're suggesting.

You might need to convince Hardwick of this theory. As I've already said Gold Coast no longer want to wait another 4 years on a kid that potentially gets taken away from them anyway, when there is an established player willing to play for them.
Being a Freo supporter you would know full well that Gold Coast are more than happy to pay overs for a player with some talent who wants to play for them.
I just think they are not a very good team. Results would support my view given they are a permanent bottom 6 side for a decade now

Not sure about that Ed. Midfield of Witts/Moyle, Anderson, Miller & Rowell is excellent. Collins and Ballard are solid KPDs, Big Mac and King KPFs. Flanders, Humphry, Graham, Clohesy, Uwland, Weller, Powell all decent-gun wing/flankers. Read, Walter, Rogers coming through. Suns are solid everywhere, just need some maturity and confidence in the game plan.

Clearly Dimma wants to emulate the run and gun peak tigers gameplan from the dynasty with Rioli and Noble.
Come on mate, you are rhyming off some very average players there.
There are at least 10 better midfields in the competition. Off the top of my head I’ll take all 8 finalists midfield groups, plus freo, Collingwood, and Melbourne well ahead of the suns.

The only sides who definitely have a worse midfield than the suns are saints, Richmond, west coast and Adelaide. I’d have suns midfield on a par with Essendon, and I’d even argue north have more upside and potential superstars in their young midfield group.

Suns should take the best player at 6, then give 13 to the Tigers for Rioli ( would be swallowed up by Lombard bid)

I just think they are not a very good team. Results would support my view given they are a permanent bottom 6 side for a decade now

Come on mate, you are rhyming off some very average players there.
There are at least 10 better midfields in the competition. Off the top of my head I’ll take all 8 finalists midfield groups, plus freo, Collingwood, and Melbourne well ahead of the suns.

The only sides who definitely have a worse midfield than the suns are saints, Richmond, west coast and Adelaide. I’d have suns midfield on a par with Essendon, and I’d even argue north have more upside and potential superstars in their young midfield group.
It's better on paper than in reality, but Dimma will sort that out. Suns are going to be ridiculously good in a couple of years. Dimma just doesn't want to wait that long, clearly.

It's better on paper than in reality, but Dimma will sort that out. Suns are going to be ridiculously good in a couple of years. Dimma just doesn't want to wait that long, clearly.
Unfortunately games are played in reality not on paper

So you think Richmond should just roll over and let a contracted player walk without pushing for a good deal, when their player has been tapped up by the oppo club?

Be interesting to see your thoughts on, say, Issac Quaynor being tapped up, and someone saying similar to what you're suggesting.

Never said you’d don’t get a slight premium for being in contract.

Neutrals generally seem to value Rioli around the GCS Pick 13. I think it’s reasonable that the extra value comes in the form of the addition of something like a second/future second.

However Tigers supporter posting on here think that means his value pretty much doubles. Pick 6 being worth basically two Pick 13’s.

I guess the question is, do Suns need/want another highly talented kid with pick 7? That would be probably a midfielder and I am not sure he would be in best 22 considering Suns midfield. So Suns would get a kid not playing, with a chance to leave in 3 years.

Suns got 5 highly talented kids last year (all look best 22 in near future). This year Lombard, next year Uwland + possibly 2-3 more academy kids.

I personally, would prefer to sell pick 7 for overs like last year with pick 4.

Pay overs for Rioli with pick 13 plus whatever (it could be e.g. late first from pick 7 deal, pick 20/26).

Last edited:
Seeing how you seem so invested in this trade, should have Gold Coast traded pick 2 for Lachie Weller?
Of course not. It was hardly a success was it?
Seven years later and still no finals.

All the more reason not to do it again with another dumb decision

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back