Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no chance port are “pushing Houston out”. He is in the top handful of players at our club and there aren’t many realistic trade scenarios that involve him that make us a better team. It sounds like he might want to get back to Melbourne for personal reasons and we will facilitate that it we can get a deal that works for us. It’s making the best of a shit situation from our perspective.
Houston has told the media there's no chance of him leaving, do you have insider information beyond this?

Yep port have no problems pushing out a player in contract to get something they want and as much as I hate that club, I respect how they try and make things happen. I hope they get unders for Houston so they can't get the better player in this draft, but thats just me. Not always does it work, but they are prepared to take that risk and go all in and thats a failing of my club in many of our supporters eyes.
Port aren't pushing Houston out.
Houston management is making the enquiries

The bedwetting on here by some
fans is a bit funny. Melbourne were rebuilding for like 15 years at one point, I can’t blame their list management trying to maximise the list they have for another push at the flag.

The bedwetting on here by some
fans is a bit funny. Melbourne were rebuilding for like 15 years at one point, I can’t blame their list management trying to maximise the list they have for another push at the flag.
Push for another flag? We're a bottom 4 team at the moment...

If Melbourne trade our first rounder for a guy that is 28 next season, should warrant an immediate sacking from all involved. Whether it be Tim Lamb, Goodwin or Jason Taylor. Basically all of them.

Doesn’t really make sense where our list is at. We don’t even have a backup ruck so let’s throw all our collateral at a position we have covered lol

Classic Tim “we don’t need to win every trade” Lamb taking any player who comes knocking.

Houston has told the media there's no chance of him leaving, do you have insider information beyond this?
No. And I would like to take him at his word on that, but there is a lot of talk from various media people that it’s a long way down the track. I just think the idea that port would push out a 27 year old all Australian who is in our leadership group and one of our best players to “get back in to the draft” is ridiculous.

If Melbourne trade our first rounder for a guy that is 28 next season, should warrant an immediate sacking from all involved. Whether it be Tim Lamb, Goodwin or Jason Taylor. Basically all of them.
As long as Petracca, Oliver & Gawn are still in the team they should always be pushing for a flag.

No. And I would like to take him at his word on that, but there is a lot of talk from various media people that it’s a long way down the track. I just think the idea that port would push out a 27 year old all Australian who is in our leadership group and one of our best players to “get back in to the draft” is ridiculous.
I should clarify on my post as I literally forgot to say how much I love Port's approach. I think it's less pushing him out, more you want to get in the draft and Houston said he would be interested in leaving. No being silly about it like WC taking too long to turn players over. Lose a player, bring another one and draft picks in. It's fantastic list management

As long as Petracca, Oliver & Gawn are still in the team they should always be pushing for a flag.
Nah. We had those 3 this year and were average. Yes, Oliver wasn't himself. but we're a bottom 4 team right now. No midfield depth, all one paced except for Windsor. We would never recover from bringing Houston in. Hell, having Windsor was this year's biggest highlight, why would trading out another Windsor (pick 7ish) justify bringing us from 12-16th to 8-11th?

We have no key forward to support Van Rooyen.

Yes. You’re downplaying your list, Demons play finals next year.

This years ladder also makes things misleading

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should clarify on my post as I literally forgot to say how much I love Port's approach. I think it's less pushing him out, more you want to get in the draft and Houston said he would be interested in leaving. No being silly about it like WC taking too long to turn players over. Lose a player, bring another one and draft picks in. It's fantastic list management
I would say Freo are the best at maximising value for departing players and in trades

I would say Freo are the best at maximising value for departing players and in trades
We have what feels like an odd trading policy where we'll pay almost whatever is asked for a player we want, take diddly squat for an uncontracted one but get ready to lose an arm trying to pinch a contracted one.

Nah. We had those 3 this year and were average. Yes, Oliver wasn't himself. but we're a bottom 4 team right now. No midfield depth, all one paced except for Windsor. We would never recover from bringing Houston in. Hell, having Windsor was this year's biggest highlight, why would trading out another Windsor (pick 7ish) justify bringing us from 12-16th to 8-11th?

We have no key forward to support Van Rooyen.
I believe Melbourne cant rebuild while Gawn and Petracca are still in the side. Load up at end of season and try again.

Retire? Ben Brown.
Delist: Schache, Hore, Smith, Tomlison, Hunter, Sestan?.
1 year deal for Langdon, Wakefield.
Trade: whatever you can get before delisted.

Trade in:
Sam Draper. Probably the worst ruck going around but maybe he can become competent under some Gawn mentoring. He'll be pretty cheap and more suitable pairing with Gawn than many of the other rucks going around that are ready to play. A trade of 43 & 49
Dan Houston. Get that midfield stacked. 1 of the best inside 50 kickers around. 8 and F2 for Houston & 50
FA Will Hamill. Half-back/wing cover.

Houston, Hamill, Draper, 38* 50* 64* + whatever bonus you can get from Schache Tomlison Hunter.
I posted this in the Melbourne thread. There's also Nick Bryan to consider instead of Draper. The problem you have is that the team is not structured right. Your best forward is also your backup ruck and it's killing the forward line while he's not there. Petty is a 3rd tall but should be a key back. Tom Mcdonald is too slow to be in the backline. Other than that your mids are still learning how to be mids.

Houston playing a high forward role that does some mid rotations will improve your inside 50 entries.

I posted this in the Melbourne thread. There's also Nick Bryan to consider instead of Draper. The problem you have is that the team is not structured right. Your best forward is also your backup ruck and it's killing the forward line while he's not there. Petty is a 3rd tall but should be a key back. Tom Mcdonald is too slow to be in the backline. Other than that your mids are still learning how to be mids.

Houston playing a high forward role that does some mid rotations will improve your inside 50 entries.
Yeah,Houston will be a nice addition for 3 year and then what? Our list will be in the biggest hole known since Fitzroy.

Not only should we not be trading for Houston, we should be looking to offload guys to get more picks inside the top 30. Tim Lamb and Jason Taylor (head recruiter) have clearly lost their marbles with where they see the list.

My 2 bobs worth..I think they are pushing Houston to move to get a top 10 pick in this draft (Melbourne may have pick 7 or 8) AND that is their foot in the door to then try and trade up to get in ahead of the crows to draft Draper - I think he is the one they really want. Then a midfield of JHF, Butters, Rozee and Draper would be going forward the best in the league imo and they know it...still I could be wrong ;)

My 2 bobs worth..I think they are pushing Houston to move to get a top 10 pick in this draft (Melbourne may have pick 7 or 8) AND that is their foot in the door to then try and trade up to get in ahead of the crows to draft Draper - I think he is the one they really want. Then a midfield of JHF, Butters, Rozee and Draper would be going forward the best in the league imo and they know it...still I could be wrong ;)
You don’t push a 27 year old all Australian player in your leadership group out of the club to get a pick that you would still need to add another first rounder to to get high enough in the draft to pick up an untried kid. It makes no sense whatsoever.

You don’t push a 27 year old all Australian player in your leadership group out of the club to get a pick that you would still need to add another first rounder to to get high enough in the draft to pick up an untried kid. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Not if you really believe that kid you are paying a high price for is worth it. IF draper turns out to be another JHF and his coach who coached them both feels Draper could go on to be the better player, you would do it or I could understand why the club would do it. Players like Houston, good as they are are secondary players so to speak - elite mids are the primary players that win flags.

The real question IF it panned out that way is, why didn't the Crows move heaven and earth to get him with their current draft hand? - there is form in Port stealing in to get ahead of the crows - see 2018.

I think I agree with this. Not necessarily for Draper, but there will be some guns in the top 10.

Not if you really believe that kid you are paying a high price for is worth it. IF draper turns out to be another JHF and his coach who coached them both feels Draper could go on to be the better player, you would do it or I could understand why the club would do it. Players like Houston, good as they are are secondary players so to speak - elite mids are the primary players that win flags.

The real question IF it panned out that way is, why didn't the Crows move heaven and earth to get him with their current draft hand? - there is form in Port stealing in to get ahead of the crows - see 2018.
I don’t see how we’d get ahead of the crows in this draft. It may be the case they Adelaide are eying off another defender with their first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back