Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not if you really believe that kid you are paying a high price for is worth it. IF draper turns out to be another JHF and his coach who coached them both feels Draper could go on to be the better player, you would do it or I could understand why the club would do it. Players like Houston, good as they are are secondary players so to speak - elite mids are the primary players that win flags.

The real question IF it panned out that way is, why didn't the Crows move heaven and earth to get him with their current draft hand? - there is form in Port stealing in to get ahead of the crows - see 2018.
Losing one of your best players and a future first for a draft pick, even a very good one is a massive risk. We already have a very good to elite midfield. Like I said yesterday, it’s more like port are trying to make the best out of a shit sandwhich they have been given by Houston wanting to head home.

Losing one of your best players and a future first for a draft pick, even a very good one is a massive risk. We already have a very good to elite midfield. Like I said yesterday, it’s more like port are trying to make the best out of a shit sandwhich they have been given by Houston wanting to head home.
Nah. We have form cashing in on players with value. Eg. Polec, Wingard, Howard, Ladhams. While Houston is probably the pick of the lot and I wouldn’t want to lose him, I see this as a similar situation.

It might be the case that both parties are happy to make the move if the price is right. But if a trade doesn’t get done, then Houston would be happy to return.

I know exactly what you are saying, but where your club is, they MIGHT think that adding another elite projecting mid to that group makes future success more likely and as I said, JHF, Butters, Rozee and Draper could be the best mid group in the comp. But sure, it would be a big gamble, but your club has form gambling if they really wat a player.

Houston helps Melbourne win a flag whilst they are still in their window. Best kick in the league, best HBF in the league, bloody good mid in his own right when he plays in there, frees up Rivers to be a full time mid which theyve wanted for a while.

Still has 4-5 years of elite play in his body judging by other non injury prone, half back flanks & wingers.

Theyve probably got two more years to get something else out of the Gawn/Petracca/Oliver era. You go for it if you are them.

Houston helps Melbourne win a flag whilst they are still in their window. Best kick in the league, best HBF in the league, bloody good mid in his own right when he plays in there, frees up Rivers to be a full time mid which theyve wanted for a while.

Still has 4-5 years of elite play in his body judging by other non injury prone, half back flanks & wingers.

Theyve probably got two more years to get something else out of the Gawn/Petracca/Oliver era. You go for it if you are them.
Their forward line is still shit, they aren't winning the premiership.

Their forward line is still shit, they aren't winning the premiership.
Exactly. Getting Houston is absolutely pointless. We need a back up ruck, a key forward, a key back for life after May (who knows with Petty), and most of all we need multiple midfielders. The last thing we need is a 27/28 yr old guy that will at best make us finish 7th or 8th in the next few years.

Bloody Tim Lamb, open your eyes.

Nah. We have form cashing in on players with value. Eg. Polec, Wingard, Howard, Ladhams. While Houston is probably the pick of the lot and I wouldn’t want to lose him, I see this as a similar situation.

It might be the case that both parties are happy to make the move if the price is right. But if a trade doesn’t get done, then Houston would be happy to return.
None of those were leaders. Howard at a stretch. Wingard the only one that was potentially in our top handful of players at the time and there were obviously other issues at play there.

Think Houston would be the same age as when Burgoyne joined Hawthorn? Seems to have similar longevity to Burgoyne too.

But if we do trade up Pick 6/7 the risk/reward simply does not make sense. Houston is a very good player no doubt, but we should not be entertaining this.

Think Houston would be the same age as when Burgoyne joined Hawthorn? Seems to have similar longevity to Burgoyne too.

But if we do trade up Pick 6/7 the risk/reward simply does not make sense. Houston is a very good player no doubt, but we should not be entertaining this.

You might have to hold onto your hat. It’s going to be more than pick 7 you give up.

Exactly. Getting Houston is absolutely pointless. We need a back up ruck, a key forward, a key back for life after May (who knows with Petty), and most of all we need multiple midfielders. The last thing we need is a 27/28 yr old guy that will at best make us finish 7th or 8th in the next few years.

Bloody Tim Lamb, open your eyes.
All can be gettable this trade period if Melbourne list managers are smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t a younger Lachie Neal traded for pick 6?

Why would anyone think an older Houston who sounds like he is walking out on Port be worth a pick 6-7 and a F1? (Or 2x Lachie Neal value).

Contracted or not sounds like he is walking out, Port can run the risk keeping a disgruntled player on the list if they want.

Only reason we might be keen is if we plan on pissing off some other senior players and want to bring in some experience for the kids to offset.

Why would anyone think an older Houston who sounds like he is walking out on Port be worth a pick 6-7 and a F1? (Or 2x Lachie Neal value).

Contracted or not sounds like he is walking out, Port can run the risk keeping a disgruntled player on the list if they want.

Only reason we might be keen is if we plan on pissing off some other senior players and want to bring in some experience for the kids to offset.
Pick 7 alone is still too much. For us. He's clearly worth that, but not for us and where our list is at.

6 & 19 with a later pick swap happening. He was also out of contract that next season anyway (could’ve walked for nothing).

Houston is contracted for 4 years.

He’s not disgruntled at all. But wouldn’t mind going back (especially given he’s dating a Victorian). It seems like a mutual agreement where port can get back into the draft. If a deal can’t be don’t, then I don’t think there would be any issue coming back.

Port should ask for pick 7 as a minimum. At the same time, I don’t think Melbourne should be paying that. I don’t see how a deal happens tbh

Tend to agree that 2 firsts is probably overs. Hes a very good player don’t get me wrong, one of if not the best kicks in the league, a match winner at his best. But a top 10 pick is sufficient and what probably gets it done ultimately.

He will leave a great big hole in our side if he does go. I’m still hoping he stays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back