Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not disgruntled at all. But wouldn’t mind going back (especially given he’s dating a Victorian). It seems like a mutual agreement where port can get back into the draft. If a deal can’t be don’t, then I don’t think there would be any issue coming back.

Port should ask for pick 7 as a minimum. At the same time, I don’t think Melbourne should be paying that. I don’t see how a deal happens tbh
thanks for showing balance in your reply. Much better than the trash I've seen between Port supporters saying it should be Pickett and a first rounder...

No doubt Houston is a gun. He's worth pick 7 easily but for Melbourne and where we're at, it'd be dumb. We're on a downslide.The sooner Goodwin, and Tim Lamb realise this, the better.

Port set the precedent with JHF and he was worth a hell of a lot more than Houston.

I'd be offering a F1 if I was Melbourne, even then I'd be hesitant given his age and where they are at.

You didn't try to move your position and simply offered up what you had?

You effectively traded Pick 8 and a F1 for the most hyped SA prospect in a decade with his entire career in front of him?

If I'm Melbourne Im doing the same.

I'd trade out of their position and just give Port what is left over. What other option do Port have, really in that scenario?

I'd trade their first pick to someone looking to trade up and trade the balance to Port.

Or alternatively trade their F1 into a bevy of picks and give Port the left overs.
Delusion.

List of players in a similar position who suffered more injuries than Houston has in their career and age they were still playing at:

Mackie 33
Smith 34
Enright 35
Hodge 35
S.Burgoyne 38
Simpson 36
Goddard 33
Hurn 36
Shaw 34
Kelly 33
Murphy 35
Duncan 34
Milburn 35
Birchall 33
Tuohy 34
Lappin 34
Rich 33
Zorko 35
Newman 33
Scotland 33
Morris 36

There’s nothing saying Houston couldn’t be playing for another 4+ years at an elite level.

He has had no major injuries, barely misses a game. Has just turned 27. Yes he will just turn 28 during the season next year. But he could quite easily be elite until 32+ given his skill set, fitness and injury history. That’s 5 years of elite play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A complete non-influence in tonights game. Took several kick-ins and did some chippy chip stuff. A beautiful kick no doubt but I'm not trading pick 6 for Houston. We'll be splitting the pick I'm sure. It won't be pick 6 straight up.

He's a.good player but no club is giving up pick 6 for him unless there are other significant pick swaps.

Watching Melbourne tonight I can't see how they could give up what's rumoured for him.

I am sure there are other Victorian clubs that might be interested.

A complete non-influence in tonights game. Took several kick-ins and did some chippy chip stuff. A beautiful kick no doubt but I'm not trading pick 6 for Houston. We'll be splitting the pick I'm sure. It won't be pick 6 straight up.
Imagine basing your whole assessment of a players worth over 1 game.

The whole team played down to the Demons level tonight. Even in his meh game, he still got more touches than any of you players. And if he plays for the Demons, he’ll get all those cheap frees you guys got tonight.

The whole team played down to the Demons level tonight. Even in his meh game, he still got more touches than any of you players. And if he plays for the Demons, he’ll get all those cheap frees you guys got tonight.
More touches lol. yeah from kick outs and uncontested chippy chip Luke Ryan style. Pick 6 you're trading for a guy that swings matches, breaks lines, or is key position or under 25.

More touches lol. yeah from kick outs and uncontested chippy chip Luke Ryan style. Pick 6 you're trading for a guy that swings matches, breaks lines, or is key position or under 25.
As I said in my first point, your whole valuation of him is over this one meh game. By your logic, Van Rooyen must be worth pick 100 after the way he played—maybe he’ll be steak knives in the trade with pick 6.

Be thankful he’s in cruise mode and not getting banged up.

As I said in my first point, your whole valuation of him is over this one meh game. By your logic, Van Rooyen must be worth pick 100 after the way he played—maybe he’ll be steak knives in the trade with pick 6.

Be thankful he’s in cruise mode and not getting banged up.
No it's not. My assessment is based on what I said above. He's 27, turning 28 during next season. That alone would make him not be worth pick 6.

No it's not. My assessment is based on what I said above. He's 27, turning 28 during next season. That alone would make him not be worth pick 6.
Ok so pick 7 he’s easily worth but 6 is where you'll draw the line and “no club is giving up pick 6 for him”.
No doubt Houston is a gun. He's worth pick 7 easily but for Melbourne and where we're at, it'd be dumb. We're on a downslide.The sooner Goodwin, and Tim Lamb realise this, the better.

I've watched all his games this year and he is not worth a top 10 pick. You can have Lever or Salem.

If he played for a Vic team I reckon he'd have probably been locked in to an AA half back spot for the last 5 years in a row. He would be up there as one of the top 3 most consistent players in the competition, if not the most.
I don't know, Thomson Dow has been unbelievably consistent this year :straining:

Dan Houston is worth pick 6 and some. There’s no question there.

But I do agree with Melbourne supports that they shouldn’t be paying it. With their current list profile they should keeping their top 10 picks.

But Melbourne have been delusional about the state of their list for years and have repeatedly failed to address their actual weaknesses. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they think they’re one HBF away from a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back