Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Houston is worth pick 6 and some. There’s no question there.

But I do agree with Melbourne supports that they shouldn’t be paying it. With their current list profile they should keeping their top 10 picks.

But Melbourne have been delusional about the state of their list for years and have repeatedly failed to address their actual weaknesses. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they think they’re one HBF away from a flag.
I can't agree.

He has perhaps four years left.

I think somewhere around 12 seems fair.

Houston is an absolute jet but I don’t think he moves the needle for the Dees on his own. If they could bring in Houston, and identify a key forward for Houston to kick to then that’d be ideal.

I think Peter Wright could be a good fit for that role as he can help Max in the ruck and keep Van Rooyen out of the ruck contests.

I'd be more ok with handing over Pick 6 if we got a 2nd rounder back between 23-28. But Port have really nothing to offer back. Pick 6 alone is about right for a club in contention and I mean in true, proper contention like a Brisbane, or Sydney. Not for a 13th placed Demons.

Doesn’t really matter if people don’t think he’s worth a current first + some.

He’s contracted so we don’t have to trade him unless we get an offer we’re comfortable with, which should be in our favour.
But that's fine. Keep him then. Remember, it's clearly Houston that wants out.

I'd love nothing more than Houston to stay at Port.

I'd be more ok with handing over Pick 6 if we got a 2nd rounder back between 23-28. But Port have really nothing to offer back. Pick 6 alone is about right for a club in contention and I mean in true, proper contention like a Brisbane, or Sydney. Not for a 13th placed Demons.
Ports list managers are historically good negotiators. I’m sure if demons want picks back in a certain range that Port would do everything they could to make it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Morris has been reporting on SEN this week that the asking price from Richmond for Daniel Rioli getting to the Gold Coast is 2 first round picks. He believes their picks 12 and 20 would get that deal done.

If that's the price for Rioli, theoretically Port shouldn't have trouble getting 2 first rounders (or equivalent value) in a trade for Houston.

Tom Morris has been reporting on SEN this week that the asking price from Richmond for Daniel Rioli getting to the Gold Coast is 2 first round picks. He believes their picks 12 and 20 would get that deal done.

If that's the price for Rioli, theoretically Port shouldn't have trouble getting 2 first rounders (or equivalent value) in a trade for Houston.

Thats overs.

It seems that ever since the Kelly trade players have been overvalued, or their is a lack of talent in the draft.

As in Dees split pick 6 for a pair of picks in the teens and Port send there F2 back with Houston?

But what Tom Morris doesn't say is that presumably GC would get a handful of Richmond's later picks back to match a Lombard bid. GC could then turn 26 into a F2 and still have enough points to match. They tend to leave out the finer details when talking about trade hypotheticals.

I think like the Crows offer for Petty they often only report one side.

The other thing they do this time of year is they talk in rounds. There is a massive difference between pick 1 and 18. I think Houston is worth around pick 10 -12.

I just don't see how Melbourne could be in a position with their list to be the club to do that.

I think like the Crows offer for Petty they often only report one side.

The other thing they do this time of year is they talk in rounds. There is a massive difference between pick 1 and 18. I think Houston is worth around pick 10 -12.

I just don't see how Melbourne could be in a position with their list to be the club to do that.

Yeah 10 + 12 is about on the money.

Not sure how Melbourne will get both of those picks though if they aren't owned.

Freo have 3 of the teen picks (Freo/coll/Port) that they could use to upgrade to 6 but they'll probably need them for Bolton and/or Baker trades.

Melbourne could split #6 with Freo using 2 of Freo/Coll/Port's picks whichever of the 2 that likely end up around 11 + 13 before bids/academy/father son etc needed to acquire Houston.

Yeah 10 + 12 is about on the money.

Not sure how Melbourne will get both of those picks though if they aren't owned.

Freo have 3 of the teen picks (Freo/coll/Port) that they could use to upgrade to 6 but they'll probably need them for Bolton and/or Baker trades.

Melbourne could split #6 with Freo using 2 of Freo/Coll/Port's picks whichever of the 2 that likely end up around 11 + 13 before bids/academy/father son etc needed to acquire Houston.
Pick 10 or 12, not both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back