Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Houston to Melbourne didn't seem one that was good for either the player or the club. He wasn't really going to change Melbourne's fortunes and the asking price in draft Capital was too much.

The word elite gets used too much now a days. Houston is a really good player and despite what stats show he is not elite. If you asked all clubs which Port players they would like I don't think he would make the top 5.

The positive for Port is there will be Victorian clubs interested who might be able to afford to part with picks. He is not worth a top 10 pick on his own but could be used to move up the draft order.

Otherwise he stays at Port as a good contributor. So they can't really lose.
He would be getting paid more so how is that not good for Houston??

The comparison between Houston to McKercher and Fisher is pretty insulting.

Mckercher and Fisher barely leave the back pocket, don't defend on a man at all and have no damage on the game.

Not advocating for North to even want Houston but he's so far ahead of those 2 it isn't funny. McKercher, similar to Sheezel would be moving to the midfield sooner rather than later I would imagine and with Sheezel there now I wouldn't want to be relying on Fisher, McDonald and Tucker as my ball using/medium defenders in the backline.

Houston has significantly more or better than McKercher & Fisher:

Contested Possessions
Intercept Possessions
Tackles
Clearances
Inside 50's
Goals
Score Involvements
One Percenters
Pressure Acts
Less turnovers

He is also a far more damaging ball user and can actually defend opposition forwards as well.

What is the point of this post?

I didn't compare them.

In fact all my posts were making the complete opposite point ffs.

McKercher's stats are skewed by a sub out on 1 disposal in the first 5 minutes of a game.

Houston leads in most of those categories, but it is far closer.

Last edited:
He would be getting paid more so how is that not good for Houston??

Melbourne don't seem like the club I'd be wanting to go to. I would of thought he would want a club either nearing the end of their rebuild or a contender.

Your right, if he cares about money then probably not so bad if they were prepared to pay him more.

I'd like to see him at Richmond, but unless we change something structurally I'm not sure he's a need.

With Vlas and Rioli playing HBF, it's not a gaping hole for us, along with the expected improvement from Tom Brown.

Is Houston better than those 3, yeah possibly, but it is far from our weakest area, so not sure he would be a priority for us

I'd like to see him at Richmond, but unless we change something structurally I'm not sure he's a need.

With Vlas and Rioli playing HBF, it's not a gaping hole for us, along with the expected improvement from Tom Brown.

Is Houston better than those 3, yeah possibly, but it is far from our weakest area, so not sure he would be a priority for us
You guys willing to offer either 2 1st rounders in the teens or a top 10 pick and 2nd rounder? Apparently that's the asking price from Port Power.

You guys willing to offer either 2 1st rounders in the teens or a top 10 pick and 2nd rounder? Apparently that's the asking price from Port Power.
I think we might have that draft collateral at some stage this year, but as I said, the cost outweighs the need, hence I can't see it happening

You don’t push a 27 year old all Australian player in your leadership group out of the club to get a pick that you would still need to add another first rounder to to get high enough in the draft to pick up an untried kid. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Apparently Port Power has asked Houston's management to ask them to find another Victorian club who would offer 2 first rounders for him and Melbourne was willing for offer this year and F1, they dodged a massive bullet.

Apparently Port Power has asked Houston's management to ask them to find another Victorian club who would offer 2 first rounders for him and Melbourne was willing for offer this year and F1, they dodged a massive bullet.

Source? And it can't just be from your "rumour" thread that is just 95% rubbish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn’t mean that they are pushing him out though, in fact it’s the opposite. It means that Melbourne were willing to pay the price so we would let him go. If he still desperately wants to leave then it’s up to him and his manager to find someone willing to pay the price otherwise they don’t trade him.

You don’t push a 27 year old all Australian player in your leadership group out of the club to get a pick that you would still need to add another first rounder to to get high enough in the draft to pick up an untried kid. It makes no sense whatsoever.
I reckon it's more of a case of a player deadset wanting to get back to Victoria so the club needs to get as much as they can form him.

Obviously rather keep him, however if he's dead set going then, let's get the best deal possible.

That doesn’t mean that they are pushing him out though, in fact it’s the opposite. It means that Melbourne were willing to pay the price so we would let him go. If he still desperately wants to leave then it’s up to him and his manager to find someone willing to pay the price otherwise they don’t trade him.
Ah yep, pretty much what I was saying.

According to Tom Morris melb had offered it's first and future first
Melbourne has never, ever offered 2 first rounders for Houston.

And thanks to CP5, Houston staying at Port Adelaide has right royally ****ed up their trading and draft plans for this year. No other player worth anything to trade out and no draft picks means their stuck with the same group of players for next season.

Horrible situation to be in.

Melbourne has never, ever offered 2 first rounders for Houston.

And thanks to CP5, Houston staying at Port Adelaide has right royally ****ed up their trading and draft plans for this year. No other player worth anything to trade out and no draft picks means their stuck with the same group of players for next season.

Horrible situation to be in.
Sounds like you will have plenty of pics to play with...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back