Dane Swan doesn't give a ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Were your eyes closed for Buckleys entire career?

I wouldn't drop Swan yet either however there should be a limit to how long these "credits" last. If he was still playing this way after Anzac day then something has to give.

Not at all. Bucks is the best Collingwood player I have seen. Swannys last 5 are still the best 5 in a row, Bucks only one close and he was a machine.

Yeah, he doesn't actually look that injured watching the replay. What is really noticeable, though, is a big lack of physicality.

Any situation that required Swan to tackle, to punch or to apply some physical pressure was a less than par effort - I wonder if he is feeling discomfort in his wrists? Watch Q2 and Q3 for a number of instances where he simply didn't apply and it's not for lack of running fitness or intensity.

Yeah, he doesn't actually look that injured watching the replay. What is really noticeable, though, is a big lack of physicality.

Any situation that required Swan to tackle, to punch or to apply some physical pressure was a less than par effort - I wonder if he is feeling discomfort in his wrists? Watch Q2 and Q3 for a number of instances where he simply didn't apply and it's not for lack of running fitness or intensity.

I honestly think his groin is giving him issues because there were times he was required to change direction and couldn't. Once was due to over running the ball and he just kept going straight. He also doesn't seem to have his acceleration usually does.

I honestly think his groin is giving him issues because there were times he was required to change direction and couldn't. Once was due to over running the ball and he just kept going straight. He also doesn't seem to have his acceleration usually does.
I agree with this, seemed unable to change direction with any fluency. Looked groin to me.

The hard tag is now on Pendles as Swan is at 60-70%. This creates a bigger problem as Swan was and is never the one to win a hard ball so now we have 2 of our gun mid fielders neutralised and not winning any footy. We are being found out in the middle so it's time to go back to basics. Put players in the middle or start asking others to step up to the plate (for the future) that are going to get in and win the contested footy. Swan isn't that sort of player so unless he can play a role else where (which I think is possible) take him out of the center for others. Blair needs to step up and we need Williams back ASAP.

This thread makes me so angry. I've been wanting to reply since it started but I don't know what to say.

Shane on all the people calling his omission. He is a champion player who is clearly playing with something. A quiet game from swanny us still better than a 50-50 Kennedy who may provide something.

They are saying he had glandular fever prior to Christmas missed a few weeks training with it, his wrist is still healing and also hurt his ankle during pre-season which restricted his running and could still be giving him issues. Lyon on Classifieds has also said he looks to have a groin injury like many on here suspected.

So with a possible 4 injury/illness' to deal with why the fk are we not resting him till he feels right?

They are saying he had glandular fever prior to Christmas missed a few weeks training with it, his wrist is still healing and also hurt his ankle during pre-season which restricted his running and could still be giving him issues. Lyon on Classifieds has also said he looks to have a groin injury like many on here suspected.

So with a possible 4 injury/illness' to deal with why the fk are we not resting him till he feels right?

I have no medical knowledge but there appears to be injuries that are not helped by rest and others that need rest. Glandular fever is going to have an impact on his ability to get fit 3 months ago. His wrists are fixed but he might be dealing with the recovery. A groin injury mightnt be helped by rest. Probably if he was a younger player, he might have been rested but older players might have a groin condition that never really goes away. If you wait until it recovers, then the player might as well retire. The club is being noticeably careful with injuries across the board. I dont think it would be careless with Swan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no medical knowledge but there appears to be injuries that are not helped by rest and others that need rest. Glandular fever is going to have an impact on his ability to get fit 3 months ago. His wrists are fixed but he might be dealing with the recovery. A groin injury mightnt be helped by rest. Probably if he was a younger player, he might have been rested but older players might have a groin condition that never really goes away. If you wait until it recovers, then the player might as well retire. The club is being noticeably careful with injuries across the board. I dont think it would be careless with Swan.

Yeah but surely even a few weeks off to get his wrist and ankle 100% would be of some benefit??

Club may feel we have too many outs and he is 80% right so are playing him.

I don't know he certainly is not moving with any freedom imo.

If he is carrying an injury, it is very worrying because it is clearly a season ender, or a play on with the pain kind of scenario. He is over thirty now so maybe he thought he could just push out his career with whatever injury he might have instead of dealing with a year out with rehab etc... Who knows, but he doesn't look physically the same player at the moment.

This thread makes me so angry. I've been wanting to reply since it started but I don't know what to say.

Shane on all the people calling his omission. He is a champion player who is clearly playing with something. A quiet game from swanny us still better than a 50-50 Kennedy who may provide something.
If they don't tell us what the injuries are then the criticism is fair enough. No one told us of the glandular fever or groin trouble until now, after his form has been down and the bagging started.

If they don't tell us what the injuries are then the criticism is fair enough. No one told us of the glandular fever or groin trouble until now, after his form has been down and the bagging started.

I agree. We should bag at the first opportunity. The club should realise that bagging is something that we do. We need to bag our players. I'm sure the players understand that we have no choice...

Swanny has played 3 bad games (by his standards) and the season has barely started. I'm appalled that people are using this opportunity to stick the boots in when he's down especially after the past who knows how many years of week in week out brilliance he's shown.
To say he doesn't give a **** is a joke. What he does/has done on the field is proof he doesn't just give a ****, he ****en gives his all. Relaxed body language and a laid back media presence are likely a quirk of his personality, not a reflection of his attitude towards the team/game.
Once this injury or niggle passes people are going to be either eating their words or looking very silly.

I agree. We should bag at the first opportunity. The club should realise that bagging is something that we do. We need to bag our players. I'm sure the players understand that we have no choice...
So if players play poorly we can't mention it?

Swanny has played 3 bad games (by his standards) and the season has barely started. I'm appalled that people are using this opportunity to stick the boots in when he's down especially after the past who knows how many years of week in week out brilliance he's shown.
To say he doesn't give a **** is a joke. What he does/has done on the field is proof he doesn't just give a ****, he ****en gives his all. Relaxed body language and a laid back media presence are likely a quirk of his personality, not a reflection of his attitude towards the team/game.
Once this injury or niggle passes people are going to be either eating their words or looking very silly.
I was going to post my thoughts but you have succinctly hit the nail on the head.

So if players play poorly we can't mention it?
Not if they played well previously and may be carrying an injury.

In that case any suggestion that they may benefit from rest, or could be outperformed by a lesser but fitter player in the time it takes them to regain fitness, is akin to running over a litter of puppies with a semi.

Haven't read the thread but almost certain he is injured and holding back to prevent aggravating it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The hard tag is now on Pendles as Swan is at 60-70%. This creates a bigger problem as Swan was and is never the one to win a hard ball so now we have 2 of our gun mid fielders neutralised and not winning any footy. We are being found out in the middle so it's time to go back to basics. Put players in the middle or start asking others to step up to the plate (for the future) that are going to get in and win the contested footy. Swan isn't that sort of player so unless he can play a role else where (which I think is possible) take him out of the center for others. Blair needs to step up and we need Williams back ASAP.

No offence mate but this is absolute rubbish. You remind me of all those opposition supporters who use his high uncontested possession numbers as compared to most other excellent contested midfield players as a stick to beat him with and say he doesn't get the 'hardball' despite the fact that his contested possession and clearance numbers are usually better than nearly every single one of them. Even on the weekend, in one of his worst games in more than half a decade, at one stage I looked up at the scoreboard to see he was equal leader (with Selwood) with six clearances. I don't know what he finished with. He is a very unique talent in that he can boss the contests but still gut run all day to rack it up on the outside in much the same way Buckley could. Funnily enough the same unfounded criticisms were often levelled at Bucks. 'Soft'....'outside player'..it was mildly true for his first two seasons. He was the best inside/outside player in the comp for a decade after that and invariably got higher contested possession numbers than Voss who was often unjustifiably heralded as the superior inside player. He wasn't even close in reality.

Not if they played well previously and may be carrying an injury.

In that case any suggestion that they may benefit from rest, or could be outperformed by a lesser but fitter player in the time it takes them to regain fitness, is akin to running over a litter of puppies with a semi.

I think this is a fair assessment but people get cut when you say it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dane Swan doesn't give a ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back