Danger Game Style 2011: Over the Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitness was definitely the key.
They were chasing Adelaide players who frankly looked fresh.

It was kind of funny though, they looked out of puff but insisted on playing on and by doing so made poor decisions. Birchall hand balling to Mc Kernan who strolled in for a goal 1 example. I cant remember the last time I screamed at the screen "HOLD THE BLOODY THING!"

As suggested we'll need to work on this area. I read somewhere that the sub could've been used on numerous players which wasnt what I wanted to here.

I would love to see Smith and Savage around a pack getting on the other end of Mitchells work around stoppages. Keep Cyril forward and let them run it into the forward line.

I dont particularly disagree with what you are saying in post 35. But, I think we all agree that if Buddy and Rough were left in the forward 50 with only 2 defenders then they would completely dominate - probably kick 100 goals a year each.

So, why do we give the opposition that much space?

The space is fine if there aere no oposition players in it, but when there are opposition players filling this space we need to mark them. If that means pulling players out of the zone then so be it. As you noted, this is probably where need a general like Hodge organising things.

I am sure opposition coaches are exploiting this part of Hawthorn's game. I agree that it happens to all sides but opposition clubs seem to score an aweful lot of easy goals against the Hawks, Geelong in particular and Port Adelaide always give us trouble with the same thing.

When the ball is in our backline Buddy and Roughy can go and stand ummarked in the F50 against almost every team, the problem is no one can kick 150m, so we hve to get the ball there somehow, if we do it quickly enough then we have 1 on 1 or even an open player.

When it takes too long to get the ball forward the entire opposition team is in there.

We almost got through a few times and ended up butchering the chance (think suckling running too far).

When the Crows got over the back it was becasue we didn't slow their ball movement enough to allow the press to move back and defend. The point of the plan is to force turnovers OR slow them down so the press can move back and defend in numbers.

If you have 3-4 guys staying forward or staying back they are standing there doing nothing most of the time and are being wasted. Thats the theory anyway.

The plan can work but it needs good skills and hard defensive work or it comes apart, but you can't just have a simple 1980's gameplan anymore. It just wont work because you'll be outnumbered everywhere on the ground.

Im not going to try and come up with a game plan, because im not an AFL coach and have never played AFL football.

But we all saw the big holes show up in our game plan last weekend.

You know why?

Because our kicking % was at 47%! I dont care if we have the best game plan going around if our kicking precentage is that low, we lose every single time. (Wet weather football excluded)

Get our kicking percentage up, to around 60-70% this weekend.

We will win.
This:thumbsu: you can have all the "game plans", "forward presses" you like , if you butcher the footy you invariably lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Danger Game Style 2011: Over the Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back