Past Daniel Bradshaw (1996-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradshaw to attend Lions 3peat celebrations
March 2 2013
Greg Davis

The two-time flag-winning forward has put his bitter split with the Lions and former teammate and coach Michael Voss behind him and will attend the club's three-peat premiership anniversary lunch later this month.

Bradshaw was a notable absentee from the 10-year anniversary celebration of the 2001 flag at a 2011 function. He was the only player from the side that beat Essendon to spark a hat-trick of premierships that did not attend.

"I just didn't want people waiting for me and Vossy to cross paths. I just didn't want to go there and be the centre of attention," Bradshaw said at the time.

Ever so glad Sydney wasted megabucks on giving him a 3 year deal in 2010 rather than us.

I see your POV with him. However, I'd rather have given Bradshaw megabucks than Fev.

I see your POV with him. However, I'd rather have given Bradshaw megabucks than Fev.

That post has more than a faint whiff of "trollishness" about it. People with their facts straight will remember that Brisbane actually wanted to have both of them in the end. Luthor's point is that in hindsight it was good for us that Sydney came and offered him more money and a longer deal, as he was barely able to get on the park at all. We would have been in serious, serious trouble if we ended up matching Sydney's offer.

Trying to make it about a "Bradshaw vs Fev" decision when that isn't what it is about smacks of troublemaking. Adds nothing good.

The thing to remember about Braddles was that he often held the club to ransom during his contract negotiations. He will always be a great Brisbane Lions player, but it's important to remember that he wasn't the unquestioningly loyal clubman that people want to remember him to have been.

Bradshaw welcomed back into Lions fold at anniversary lunch
March 22, 2013
Greg Davis

Triple premiership captain and current Lions boss Michael Voss had not crossed paths with former forward Daniel Bradshaw who left the club at the end of 2009 after being put up as trade bait for Brendan Fevola.

However, time has seemingly healed a lot of wounds in the Pride."I'm over it," Bradshaw said of his acrimonious split with the club and Voss. "There's no point holding on to any grudges.

"The first one (2011 reunion) I was still probably holding a bit of a grudge but I'm over it. It's been three-and-a-half years since I've been back at the club.

"I caught up with a few of the boys last night (Wednesday) and that was great.

"We (Bradshaw and Voss) are all good. No problems at all."

867820-daniel-bradshaw.jpg

Browny with Noah Bradshaw. Gotta wait another six years though.

If he is anything like his old man... we'll be waiting a fair bit longer than that for him to actually show what he can do. ;)

It seems to be one of the forgotten chapters in the Bradshaw story. He was an incredible tease for the early half of his career. He's always one I think of when people expect too much from developing forwards in their first 4 years.

If he is anything like his old man... we'll be waiting a fair bit longer than that for him to actually show what he can do. ;)

It seems to be one of the forgotten chapters in the Bradshaw story. He was an incredible tease for the early half of his career. He's always one I think of when people expect too much from developing forwards in their first 4 years.

Schultz is the Bradshaw of Richmond/Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember When... Round 18

1997 - Seven for Bradshaw

Daniel Bradshaw was the saving grace for the old Brisbane Bears to come out of the 1995 AFL Draft.

He’d debuted in Round 18 1996, becoming the 143rd and last player on the all-time Bears playing list. After three games in his inaugural season he had to wait until Round 8 for his next chance in ’97 but quickly stamped himself as a player of the future.

He opened with bags of four and eight goals in Rounds 8-9 and in Round 18, as the Lions played Hawthorn at the Gabba, he took the Hawks for eight goals in a 70-point Brisbane win.

In his 14th game he kicked 7-1 for two Brownlow votes. Only one Brisbane before him or since was quicker to an eight-goal bag for the club – former #1 draft pick John Hutton kicked eight goals in his sixth game. For comparison purposes, Jonathan Brown was 94 games before he kicked his first bag of eight.

Where Are They Now?: '03 Premiership Team

Daniel Bradshaw is back home in Wodonga, where for 10 years he has owned and operated a road line marking business which is bought from ex-Geelong, Sydney and Footscray player Bernard Toohey. He has three boys and a girl.

Brisbane Lions Hall Of Fame 2023 Re-Cap

Daniel Bradshaw was perhaps the most under-rated and under-stated star in the AFL for a decade. Quiet, private and media-shy, he happily lived in the shadow of Alastair Lynch and Jonathan Brown during the golden era of the Brisbane Lions, content just to go about his business… kicking goals.

In the combined Brisbane/Fitzroy history of nearly 1500 players he ranks fifth all-time in goals with 496, behind only Lynch Jack Moriarty Brown and Bernie Quinlan

And which of this superstar quintet had most top three finishes in club goal-kicking year-by-year? None other than the Wodonga powerhouse who was drafted at #56, debuted at 17 and wore #36 with pride. Eleven times he finished on the dais. And he missed two entire seasons through injury.

Quick on the lead, with a mighty leap, a vice-like pair of hands, a reliable kick from all ranges and the best conversion rate of the group on record, he was a wonderfully consistent player in arguably the best team of all-time.

A premiership player in 2001 and 2003, he had a personal best haul of nine goals in a game and 75 goals in a season in 2009. So highly was he regarded he played for Victoria in the 2008 Hall of Fame Tribute Match.

A forever Lions fan favourite and now a member of the Hall of Fame… DANIEL BRADSHAW

Daniel-Bradshaw.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Daniel Bradshaw (1996-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back