Daniel Chick

Remove this Banner Ad

kolchak said:
Who cares about a little kid!!!

Listen mate. I was merely passing a comment on what I saw. Chicky would not even put his head down for the little one to put his medallion on. He did not shake the boys hand and made no eye contact with him at all. Even with the excitement of winning a premiership, youngsters like Judd still found a second to ruffle the kids hair and shake their hands. I was just a little disapponted because Chick was one of my favourites. I think it was a bit ordinary, that's all. Chick was a top bloke once upon a time, obviously when you lay down with pigs you get up smelling like them.:thumbsdown:

GNCLongJack said:
kDon't single Chicky out for his unfortunate distracted effort in receiving his medal from his designated youngster. For the most part, the Eagle players were fantastic in showing their appreciation to the little mites, who looked all at sea and overawed, but will be showing their school-mates the footage for years to come ! And then, just maybe, someday one or two of them are on the other end of a similar exchange. BUT CONGRATULATIONS EAGLES FOR YOUR GRACIOUSNESS FOR BENDING DOWN FROM YOUR 6' PLUS ALTITUDES TO SHAKE HANDS, LOOK THE KIDS IN THE FACE AND SMILE, AND SHARE YOUR DREAM..........................If Chicky hick-cupped here, how must the lil bloke with 44 on his back have felt ? I think in hind sight David might be seeking him out too. I hope this GF concept continues. The success of soccer (World Cup euphoria) and rugby..................we need to sustain the youngsters' appreciation of our game

No we musn't just single out Chick. Wirrupunda and Hunter's efforts were pretty ordinary too. The reason I bought up Daniel Chick is because he was one of ours and you would expect better.

Absolutely rapt for Chick, he deserved it. He served his time as the most consistent and hard-working player in some pretty awful Hawk teams and I agree that the goal he set up was typical Chick.

MaccaHawk said:
only been following the Hawks for a few years. Why did Chick leave? I've never actually heard the reason.

I'd be interested to hear about that too.

All I've heard, and this will probably piss some of you off, is Chick saying something like "I knew I wanted to get out of Hawthorn, I didn't like things that were going on there" when he was asked about why he chose West Coast over Port Adelaide.

Jimmy_the_Gent said:
I'd be interested to hear about that too.

All I've heard, and this will probably piss some of you off, is Chick saying something like "I knew I wanted to get out of Hawthorn, I didn't like things that were going on there" when he was asked about why he chose West Coast over Port Adelaide.

Not really. He went to West Coast because he is a West Australian by birth and wanted to get closer to his home.

A mighty fine hello to all HAWKS supporters out there.
I'm a new member to bigfooty from the new home of the premiership cup,WA,DAMMIT!!!
On chicky. Yeah true i'm sure at one time or another he was one of all our favourites', just the way he attacked the pill,the courage,hardness,spirit,leadership,bottling the ball inside 50 and setting up/assisting goals (absolutely the most underated aspect of his game), and at the time loyalty.
AHH loyalty. One of the truely "fast becoming extinct" aspects of modern day big business sports. As a lover of sports in general, i yearn for the good old days where you could count on your heros being there next year.
Although i want to be happy for him because he WAS my guy when he donned the brown and gold,and i want to be happy for him because he is the favourite player of my WCE loving girlfriend (along with stenglein. 2 'traitors' as favs.Go figure). But i just can't.
He left us when he didn't need to,when we needed leadership,stability, experience,LOYALTY.
He got going when things got a bit tough,very uncharacteristic i thought at the time.
and i still don't know how to feel.
It would have been great to see him ignore a little kid in a hawks guernsy on the podium!

smitchell said:
A mighty fine hello to all HAWKS supporters out there.
I'm a new member to bigfooty from the new home of the premiership cup,WA,DAMMIT!!!
On chicky. Yeah true i'm sure at one time or another he was one of all our favourites', just the way he attacked the pill,the courage,hardness,spirit,leadership,bottling the ball inside 50 and setting up/assisting goals (absolutely the most underated aspect of his game), and at the time loyalty.
AHH loyalty. One of the truely "fast becoming extinct" aspects of modern day big business sports. As a lover of sports in general, i yearn for the good old days where you could count on your heros being there next year.
Although i want to be happy for him because he WAS my guy when he donned the brown and gold,and i want to be happy for him because he is the favourite player of my WCE loving girlfriend (along with stenglein. 2 'traitors' as favs.Go figure). But i just can't.
He left us when he didn't need to,when we needed leadership,stability, experience,LOYALTY.
He got going when things got a bit tough,very uncharacteristic i thought at the time.
and i still don't know how to feel.
It would have been great to see him ignore a little kid in a hawks guernsy on the podium!

I think I need to see an Optometrist. That was just a blur!

He was 1 game away from life membership at the Hawks, but many, many more games from a flag.

I agree, he gave us the a**e when he did not need to, and had he stayed for one more season, he could have been a life member of HFC, and a premiership player with WCE. Somehow though, i think the life membership of our fine club has been thrown straight into the "who gives us a toss" pile compared to the premiership medal he has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chicky is a champion tough player and im sure he has no hard feelings with hawthorn. he just wanted to come home and be a part of the woosha dynasty.

Thanks for that link Mr Likeable. Caught up on the Chick goss for the last 5 yrs, and I hope it gives some of his detractors here a history lesson/ reminder or what kind of person/ player he was. He has had a bumpy road with the tragedy thats affected his life, and I dont begrudge his move home on any grounds. That a few people here are of the same opinion, and havent slagged him ala Jon Hay etc (Ben Allen is another kettle of fish!) must mean that some people appreciated his service to the club.

Chicks bodywork in the GF was as great a highlight as any in the game, maybe one of the great grandfinal moments. An enduring image, the 1%ers that pay off, the committment, and the hardness at the ball. In these days of keepings off, to see someone get tackled and put to ground, to be removed from the play, then to struggle to their feet is a play all too often unappreciated. More of this kind of stuff would sort out the pretenders in the league, and at the least would make the game more interesting.

Instead, its keepings off & athletes running around in place of footballers. Along the same safe path that the AFL seems to travel is the hauling up on stage of some kid to present players with their medealions. I mean, who the hell are they to be presenting anyone with any premiership medalion? Im not blaming the kids, but what is the idea, its just an exercise in public niceness and ar$elicking. That some players got caught up in the euphoria and dont get it right hardly warrants the media caning theyve copped.
Has anyone written an article asking what the little uns are doing there in the first place? At a time like this, I feel the players ought to be afforded a little more respect.

Steve

JerryWexler said:
Life membership at Hawthorn equates to an I.D card in the boy scouts.
As against a life membership to a franchise that is all your club amounts to.You may as well be given a Hoyts gold pass.Fremantle is more a football club with more soul than your so called "club" will ever be.

Buster the hawk said:
As against a life membership to a franchise that is all your club amounts to.You may as well be given a Hoyts gold pass.Fremantle is more a football club with more soul than your so called "club" will ever be.
Are you a closet Fremantle fan? Can't think of any other reason you'd bring them up. :confused:

But I always admit when I'm wrong and I will given you're spot on.I got boy scouts mixed up with girl guides.Sorry, my mistake. :cool: :thumbsu:

JerryWexler said:
Are you a closet Fremantle fan? Can't think of any other reason you'd bring them up. :confused:

But I always admit when I'm wrong and I will given you're spot on.I got boy scouts mixed up with girl guides.Sorry, my mistake. :cool: :thumbsu:
Jerry,i'm suprised our moderator hasn't locked you out already because we usually don't tolerate such useless banter from an opposition supporter on our board but since you're a pom (like most of Perth ) ,he's probably made exceptions because you are obviously ignorant of the tradition of Victorian clubs that goes back a lot longer than your entity that was created for TV.Incidently are you aware that several members of that boys scout/girl guide club were ageing injured champions in their last years but still managed to pump your money pit franchise by 7 odd goals in our one and only GF meeting ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Chick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back