Player Watch Daniel McStay

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if the season was mathematically over I'd still pick him if he is medically cleared. If I was a player coming back from a long term injury, getting to play a few games would lead to huge psychological gains heading into preseason and season 2025.

Even if the season was mathematically over I'd still pick him if he is medically cleared. If I was a player coming back from a long term injury, getting to play a few games would lead to huge psychological gains heading into preseason and season 2025.
He will definitely play again this season if medically cleared to play.

He looks as fit as a Mallee bull.Just play him.I know there’s a risk of him doing his knee again,but that could just as easily happen next year too.
I hope they're not thinking as frivolous as that about his knee.

Poor bugger has worked his arse off to play this year..it would be too heartbreaking to bring him back before he's ready, only for him to do it again & be out for all of next year.

I hope they're not thinking as frivolous as that about his knee.

Poor bugger has worked his arse off to play this year..it would be too heartbreaking to bring him back before he's ready, only for him to do it again & be out for all of next year.
I didn’t mean to be frivolous about his knee.What I meant is that holding him back until next year,as some people are suggesting,is no guarantee that his knee won’t go again,or that it it would be less likely to go than if he played this year.You just never know in these situations.There’s always a risk no matter when a player comes back from a serious knee injury..Let’s just hope for his sake that he doesn’t have a recurrence of the injury.

I didn’t mean to be frivolous about his knee.What I meant is that holding him back until next year,as some people are suggesting,is no guarantee that his knee won’t go again,or that it it would be less likely to go than if he played this year.You just never know in these situations.There’s always a risk no matter when a player comes back from a serious knee injury..Let’s just hope for his sake that he doesn’t have a recurrence of the injury.
I don't think it would be fair to hold him back until next year either.

They obviously have a clear path for his return this year and he's worked his butt off to achieve it.

It's up to the rest of the team to now do the right thing & give him every opportunity to play finals this year.

It’s not a Hail Mary option, he’s almost ready anyway and on schedule
Agree.
Ambitious to assume we’re making finals. It’s absolutely no given right now and with the remaining draw we have.

Its all or nothing now. We either miss finals or will make the grand final imo

Because with that fixture if we make it, we will be cherry ripe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By all reports McStay has already told Wade he's right to go. He's certainly looking strong.

Once Wade signs off on him returning I'd consider bringing him straight back in given our injury situation.

Given he done the initial knee injury at training any thought process that easing him back in via the VFL will lower the risk of re-injury in the short term is probably misguided. What will be will be on that front.

By all reports McStay has already told Wade he's right to go. He's certainly looking strong.

Once Wade signs off on him returning I'd consider bringing him straight back in given our injury situation.

Given he done the initial knee injury at training any thought process that easing him back in via the VFL will lower the risk of re-injury in the short term is probably misguided. What will be will be on that front.
Yeah I agree. I'd rather he return on the G than some shithole ground in the burbs.

It's super risky to bring him in for a full AFL game after 11 months with no matches.

Play him in a few VFL games with limited minutes and see how he pulls up.

Those thinking he puts his knee at risk if he plays in the next week or so aren't right. His knee is now fine - otherwise they wouldn't be playing him. The concern on him is his fitness, and whether he'd be able to run out 120 minutes of football at CHF... The downside scenario is that he would be gassed early and then struggle through the rest of the game. Better to play him at least 2-3 weeks in the VFL and build up his minutes.

Those thinking he puts his knee at risk if he plays in the next week or so aren't right. His knee is now fine - otherwise they wouldn't be playing him. The concern on him is his fitness, and whether he'd be able to run out 120 minutes of football at CHF... The downside scenario is that he would be gassed early and then struggle through the rest of the game. Better to play him at least 2-3 weeks in the VFL and build up his minutes.
I'd risk it really - play him out of the goal square if he's struggling! Better him out there even if not as match fit.

It's super risky to bring him in for a full AFL game after 11 months with no matches.

Play him in a few VFL games with limited minutes and see how he pulls up.
The only risk is if he doesn’t play well, given he has fully passed the injury tests and has been cleared to play. Probsbly needs a vfl game just to get his touch back and kick out the cobwebs but straight back in after that

The only risk is if he doesn’t play well, given he has fully passed the injury tests and has been cleared to play. Probsbly needs a vfl game just to get his touch back and kick out the cobwebs but straight back in after that
He's expected to play VFL this week - if he can get some minutes in, I expect we'll see him named against Hawthorn. Hope so! Hail mary time now! Time to throw anything we can at this season to still keep it alive

There are also high chance of soft tissue injuries when you rush back someone to play who isn't match fit.

I think he’ll get managed minutes at VFL level. I’d be more worried about hamstring issues than the knee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Daniel McStay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back