Player Watch Daniel McStay

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t mean to be frivolous about his knee.What I meant is that holding him back until next year,as some people are suggesting,is no guarantee that his knee won’t go again,or that it it would be less likely to go than if he played this year.You just never know in these situations.There’s always a risk no matter when a player comes back from a serious knee injury..Let’s just hope for his sake that he doesn’t have a recurrence of the injury.
True, but there is a lot of evidence that an ACL graft will be much stronger at 12 months than 7 months

Last edited:
True, but there is a lot of evidence that an ACL graft will be much stronger at 7 months than 12 months
really, that intuitively makes little/no sense?

and the research seems to suggest the exact opposite re rate of ACL re-injury.

can you send a link to what you've read?

Those thinking he puts his knee at risk if he plays in the next week or so aren't right. His knee is now fine - otherwise they wouldn't be playing him. The concern on him is his fitness, and whether he'd be able to run out 120 minutes of football at CHF... The downside scenario is that he would be gassed early and then struggle through the rest of the game. Better to play him at least 2-3 weeks in the VFL and build up his minutes.
Fitness not an issue either in the modern day with specified training programmes.

It’s really just getting some touch and feel back in a competitive hit out that he needs, just to get his bearings again. That won’t take much for a player of his experience.

There’s been some good discussion regarding ACL rehab here. If anyone is keen, check out the Melbourne ACL rehab guide created by Mick Hughes and Randall Cooper. It provides an objective based structure to ACL rehab which is really helpful when guiding patients through the process.

They report this as a guide to return to play:

IMG_7351.png

The variability in timeframes for return to play relate to how quickly the athlete can progress through the stages and tick the boxes. However as echoed by the above, during the first 9 months of recovery, the re-injury rate is reduced by 50% for every month that return to play is delayed. This is why we are given the 9-12 month recovery timeframe.

So what are we thinking, half a game in the VFL this week then straight in?
He’s not to do second ruck, let Freddy do that until the big Cox is back.
I think this is what we'll see - small bit of VFL footy. IF Dan himself thinks it would benefit him, then fine. Otherwise, prefer him to be straight back in.
He's an experienced AFL level player - barely missed a game at Brisbane. Either way is ok. Happy for him to come straight back in against Hawks personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome news! .. Well done Danny.

Ironic to return to the scene of the crime though huh!? Wear long studs though mate .... I had a kick at Vic Park today and in the goals and interchanges it's really muddy. Last weekend was there was some sort of Pride community cup on which I caught a bit of. A round robbin of games with at least 15 players on the interchange for each side with rotations didn't do the turf any favours .... but it happens.

Carn pies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Daniel McStay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back