Daniel Motlop

Remove this Banner Ad

steveo1010

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2002
Stamford Bridge
Other Teams
Chelsea & Nth Melbourne
I can't believe how much you guy on here actually rate him...
He is the most over rated play of the last 10 years at our club easy.. i just dont see him being a superstar, he will never be a match winner..
he played 47 games and kicked only 53 goals... come on guys, we can do better than this..
Never a star... never will be.. Give him away as cheap as you like
the most he was, was a handy goer....

steveo1010 said:
He is the most over rated play of the last 10 years at our club easy.. i just dont see him being a superstar, he will never be a match winner..
he played 47 games and kicked only 53 goals... come on guys, we can do better than this..

Everyone available at this time of year is over rated:

Hay
Richards
Fevola
Whitnall
etc etc

Was talking to Boomer Harvey at a function just after Wells came to us and he rated Motlop as the most talented player at the club and one of the most talented he had seen. Just shows that you can have all of the talent in the world at AFL but if you have no heart and desire to succeed as well as a love for your team and team mates you wind up like Motlop.

steveo1010 said:

Agree. I thought he was overrated at the club as I think Brisbane were overrating him with their offer. But I'll accept it! :D

One of those players that you say 'once he gets over his injuries, he is going to be a matchwinner'

Then you repeat it...and repeat it.

Sometimes tries, sometimes doesnt, sometimes is mercurial, but now doesnt want to be around.

p*ss off motty, we dont care were you end up.

His 2nd half of 2003 was good, i think averaging 7 marks in the final 7 games.

His 2004 was even better as he had to become the makeshift CHF for the first half of the year and he coupled that with a much stronger defensive game.

His 05 Wiz Cup form was pretty awesome and it looked like it was going to be a big year before injury struck.

Unlike someone like, say Drew Petrie, once settling, Motlop has actually improved and had a good 1.5 years until his injury plagued 05. It is easy to say he is a flash in the pan but I think a lot of people don't realise how much our gameplan and lack of KP forwards hurt him last year.

As I have said many times, if the Bombers didn't have Lucas or lloyd, Hird would probably be a solid undersized CHF rather than the superstar HF / midfielder / floater he has become.

The only thing holding Junior back has been his work ethic, and his fitness in pre-season 05 showed what he can do. Unfortunately if his head isn't right, we will never see it.

Hello Kangaroo Fans (and others reading)

Could one of you please tell me why Dean Laidley is angry with Motlop - as are some of the fans from what I have been reading.

Thank you.

jeffs_girl said:
Hello Kangaroo Fans (and others reading)

Could one of you please tell me why Dean Laidley is angry with Motlop - as are some of the fans from what I have been reading.

Thank you.

Might have something to do with him walking out on the club twice in two years. And then dictating what club he wants to play for.

steveo1010 said:
Yeah but hang on buddy...Ted Richards has just gone for pick 19.A seconds player.So you think Motlop who makes Richards look like a schoolboy should only be traded away for a pick five earlier ??? I think not.

mark73 said:
Yeah but hang on buddy...Ted Richards has just gone for pick 19.A seconds player.So you think Motlop who makes Richards look like a schoolboy should only be traded away for a pick five earlier ??? I think not.

Exactly. And with Watts (an untried youngster who like Motlop is pretty much being judged by potential) going at pick 17 i think it was, i rekon 14 is peanuts for a player who is considered one of the most talented around, and at times has proven this. Motlop's only down-side is if he has the mental capacity to become a superstar at AFL level. I was expecting something pretty special for Motlop when i first heard he was guna be traded. Don't think my expectations are guna be fullfilled :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

steveo1010 said:

When you think Harding has played 70 and kicked 101 and Motlop only gets 2 more possessions a game it kind of puts into perspective how over-rated Motlop is at this point in his career.

steveo1010 said:
The stats don't lie - he played the great majority of those games deep in the forward line too. I always said he was overrated in relation to his rather modest achievements.

Players really overtalk teammates too. Boomer there is a big difference between "talented" and "freakish". Daniel for example was often a very poor decision maker. Those boundry line torpedos and reverse torpedos at crucial times in games stand out like beacons to me.

His greatest strength was his marking - the guy has phenomenal hands. Plays very similar to Scott Welsh in that way.

Firstly, did we really need another friggen Motlop thread?

Anyway, i coul v ery well be one of those who could be accused of over-rating him. I stand by every word from year's gone by though.

Yes, most of it was based on what i saw from him in his early year's at VFL level abd what i believed (and still believe) he will turn out to be.

No, he isn't a key possie player and should never be expected to play as one.

Yes, he is a lair and can have you scratching your head at what the hell was going through his mind. But any player with that X-factor to them, and with an instinct for the type of stuff that a very small percentage of the competition can do yet what he makes look effortless will sometime scome a cropper too. Jason Akermanis doesnt always pull his stuff off either.

With his skill level, excellent hands, a switched on head (which i believe he was showing more and more signs of as he matured... on the footy field anyway...) and the necessary experience that immature blokes like him need, i still say he will be a gun.

We're all up in arms about what he's doing and fair enough. While i think alot of it is reactionary and much of it irrational, particularly as i havent read ONE quote from Junior himself about being home sick and we are taking alot of heresay as fact when saying he has lied and cheated us, i'm still as upset as anyone about the way things have gone.

But the comments on his worth, his ability, his achevements and the fact we finished 5th without him, from both supporters and the club are complete rubbish.

Honestly, how do you reckon our chances would have gone with a fit, firing and 1 year older and mature Daniel Motlop lining up next to Thomo, Sav, Shagga and CJ in the forward line this year and particularly next year?

That is what gets me more upset.

Carlos said:
But the comments on his worth, his ability, his achevements and the fact we finished 5th without him, from both supporters and the club are complete rubbish.

Honestly, how do you reckon our chances would have gone with a fit, firing and 1 year older and mature Daniel Motlop lining up next to Thomo, Sav, Shagga and CJ in the forward line this year and particularly next year?

That is what gets me more upset.

'that complete Rubbish' you refer to is opinions from the North faithful that have made him better than his stats show Carlos. Don't forget that champ. ;)

We know how much better we'd be if 'things clicked' and I for one anticipated that all for a couple of seasons now but Junior shows he is still a lazy bugger that takes things in his stride and that kills this team. I'd take a focused player like (miss him) Scotty Welsh in a heartbeat over an inconsistent showpony that still has NEVER won a game off his own boot yet. :p

Mate, it is just getting a bit rich how all year we've been saying how sh*tty it was he got injured, how good he was looking after the pre-season and how much he would have added to our team had he played this year, yet now he is on the trade table at his request, we are all saying he is wasn't that good etc.

Yeah, we're all gonna have differing opinions. But some of the crap i've read on here the last coupla weeks is beyond a joke. I couldnt give a stuff what stats say. I know what my eyes saw and what my own ears heard over the years and most recently from people whose opinion and knowledge are worth listening to.

The kid can play.

You dont think that at 23 and if he can ever come out of a pre-season like he had at North before 05 and stay on the park for a year or 2 that he wont be a terrific acquisition for whoever he ends up with next year and beyond?

Yeah, there has to be a few question marks over his ability to commit, but at the same time he was flying in the last pre-season with top finishes in all the running stuff and from all reports internally was really starting to take the next step.

And yeah, things went off the rails (alot more than has been posted here) when he got injured. The way he went about his rehab left a bit to be desired from all accounts and some stuff in his personal life really sent his head to bad places, not to mention how he was regarded by those close to him at the club.

I guess we'll never know, but i cant help wondering how things would be now had he played 22 games this year. Not just in terms of his input on the field, but also how his standing at the club ended up off it...

But for so many people to turn like cut snakes, especially on very limited and in some cases plain wrong information is just crap IMO.

Carlos said:
But for so many people to turn like cut snakes, especially on very limited and in some cases plain wrong information is just crap IMO.
That's the fickle industry of footy. I stand by my comments and hoping the next #19 represents our club with more heart & dedication. 'nuff said.

Carlos said:
I guess we'll never know, but i cant help wondering how things would be now had he played 22 games this year. Not just in terms of his input on the field, but also how his standing at the club ended up off it...

This is the thing that has been bugging me ever since he dropped his bombshell. I'm sure so many things on and off the field would have been so much better for Junior and the club.

windsock said:
This is the thing that has been bugging me ever since he dropped his bombshell. I'm sure so many things on and off the field would have been so much better for Junior and the club.
I agree with this but we'll never know. I'm definitely in the pro junior camp and maintain that he was our best forward before he got injured. For someone that was apparantly so lazy, he made a lot of contests and took a lot of marks. Perception can be a bitch.

Crow-mosone said:
Would any of you trade a top 10 pick for Cupido?
Not a chance. But remember that he's been through two clubs now and failed.
When a player doesn't play to his potential at his first club there's always a chance that a change of environment will help him turn it around.

But Cupido is third-hand goods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Motlop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back