Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

GC probably want to end up with Rioli, Lombard, and a player before the bid. They should comfortably have enough picks for that. If they trade their early pick it should be to move up the order as far as possible. Trading it to Richmond for Rioli would be nuts.
Agree with your thoughts on this.

But also know that if Hardwick is wants Rioli he will tell the list manager to do whatever it takes to get him up there. Hardwick has the remit to deliver a flag and will over ride anyone to get what he believes he needs to achieve this.

Now whether Hardwick is actually keen on Rioli in GC colours I can’t tell you.

How exactly would they manage that? They'll probably end up with pick 7 if they beat us and saints get a 1st round compensation pick for Battle. If a bid comes in for Lombard in the first 6 they'd be screwed.
Which is why they should trade it up the order. Safer and they get the player they want. I expect North would be happy to drop back and take Trainor or Armstrong instead of a mid. West Coast may think similarly. Worst case, they keep the pick and a bid comes early, then they trade it for a good future first - still a better option than trading it for Rioli.

A few factors at play here to those undermining Rioli's eventual trade value if the trade goes down

1. If Dimma really wants him (and history suggests he rates him highly and values him highly with a very strong relationship as Dimma housed him for a while and also played him for years before he justified the hype), then the GC will likely pay overs. They aren't short of young talent, they have a pretty endless cycle of discounted talent through the academies, the AFL wants them to succeed and Dimma has been brought up there to deliver finals and a flag, they won't say no to him if he's pushing for Daniel as a required player on their build.

2. With Rioli having a reasonable contract in front of him, Richmond have no need to trade him for anything less than overs. He has family at the club in Maurice who just extended his deal, he's a loved player and one of the senior players on the list. There really is no reason to accept a trade that isn't well in our favour, because we simply happily keep one of our best and most reliable players on the list for at least another year, in which case he's still contracted yet again if the Suns chase him next year.

All that being said, there's not really a scenario where Richmond don't ask for overs, and Gold Coast then get the choice to pay it or not, but this trade is a seller's market, and Richmond simply won't trade for a deal that's not well in our favour on paper, and the Suns in their position might not actually be too worried about a few picks difference in trade value given their existing young talent position.

Which is why they should trade it up the order. Safer and they get the player they want. I expect North would be happy to drop back and take Trainor or Armstrong instead of a mid. West Coast may think similarly. Worst case, they keep the pick and a bid comes early, then they trade it for a good future first - still a better option than trading it for Rioli.
And again, how would they do that while still being able to trade for Rioli and match an early bid? To trade up from 6 or 7 to 2 or 3 theure going to have to give up another good pick and they're not going to give up future picks.

And again, how would they do that while still being able to trade for Rioli and match an early bid? To trade up from 6 or 7 to 2 or 3 theure going to have to give up another good pick and they're not going to give up future picks.
Something like 6 and (20 or F1) for 2 or 3 would be close enough in this draft. They have piles of other picks they can add if they need to haggle.

If you guys get pick 11 or 12 for Rioli it would be a big win, no need to be greedy.

As a multiple year contracted player the Tigers have every right to ask for overs, it’s then up to the Suns as some have already said to work out whether they’re willing to pay the price.

Personally, I hope the suns just pass on Rioli, he will be 28 next year and who knows how many years he’s really got left in him? Rather use a later pick on a jet VFL player hungry for and opportunity

As a multiple year contracted player the Tigers have every right to ask for overs, it’s then up to the Suns as some have already said to work out whether they’re willing to pay the price.

Personally, I hope the suns just pass on Rioli, he will be 28 next year and who knows how many years he’s really got left in him? Rather use a later pick on a jet VFL player hungry for and opportunity
What Dimma wants, Dimma gets.

What Dimma wants, Dimma gets.

Maybe, you are probably in a better position to know more about Dimma than I am, if the rumours about Bailey Smith are true however pick five will already have gone. I think Dimma would want a 23 three-year-old gun over a 28-year-old halfback Flanker.

Maybe, you are probably in a better position to know more about Dimma than I am, if the rumours about Bailey Smith are true however pick five will already have gone. I think Dimma would want a 23 three-year-old gun over a 28-year-old halfback Flanker.
Haven't heard that one, I thought he was all bit signed at Geelong. Smith is the better long term option but Dimmas love for Rioli goes beyond match day ie premiership experience, culture and attitude.

There's no way 5 is on the table unless it's in danger of being wasted on Lombard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey reckons a trade request will come next week and both he and Beveridge said pick 5 is probably a bit over but thats what it will take to get the deal done.

carlton sent 8 over and got two later picks i'd melt if we sent pick 5 which will be 7 on draft night, F2 must come back this draft is so good

carlton sent 8 over and got two later picks i'd melt if we sent pick 5 which will be 7 on draft night, F2 must come back this draft is so good
I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Twomey reckons a trade request will come next week and both he and Beveridge said pick 5 is probably a bit over but thats what it will take to get the deal done.

Jon Ralph already setting the narrative.

GC could easily trade back from that position with 10 clubs and satisfy Richmond.

Sending Pick 5 for Rioli would be up there with the Lachie Weller trade.

Jon Ralph already setting the narrative.

GC could easily trade back from that position with 10 clubs and satisfy Richmond.

Sending Pick 5 for Rioli would be up there with the Lachie Weller trade.
Ralph is a tigers nuffie through and through.
Hes been claiming the Eagles have to split pick 3 to get Baker all year, now Rioli for pick 5, completely one eyed

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back