Rumour Daniel Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Foot skills coming out of defence is as important as ever. Look at how the hawks set up now, all elite users.

What I was getting at is a lot of other players have had the pressure taken off their kicking by the stand rule and can therefore execute a lot better, making up ground on the likes of Daniel who was relatively a much better kick when having to operate under immediate pressure. So if the stand rule means he goes from a 40% more effective kick than another guy to 10% better, but the other guy runs 30% better, Daniel's value relative to these other players is reduced.

watching Daniel streaming off the half back line and link up by handball, or kicking long bomb goals is one of the reasons I go to the footy. Trading him would be a serious kick in the guts. I hope we don’t do it.
100% correct.
If he says he wants to go hopefully we just say that we want you to stay, but we will speak to Gold Coast and see what they have to offer. Unless it's something that will work for us then prepare to honour your contract Daniel.

Same goes will Bolton. Unless it's a great offer for us then prepare to stay.

I haven't been watching much this year (thank you umpires and Meehan) is Daniel front runner for the JDM?

On SM-A426B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would say quite easily this year. He's played one or two average games, but besides that he's been very consistent. He's a bit like Edwards was, brilliant but goes unnoticed by the rest of the footy world. Nank might be shading him because he has been great all year to and is in the midfield, a big advantage.

Bundling is the go. Don’t believe all this hysteria the draft is deep. Some players just never develop any further and Dow is a classic example. History shows that it’s hard to nail more than three guns in a draft, so I like to bundle or even try and trade for a decent player in if there’s a tall forward at the right age.
Yes but you rarely get the hand we could be dealt. Perhaps 3 maybe 4 picks inside 20, 3 in the next 30 is not a big stretch. Of course they may not all come good, but as you say we only need 3 or 4 this year, 2 or 3 next.

Dow was a bit of a gamble. They gambled on his agility and quick hands, high reward if he came good, but he hasn't really.

watching Daniel streaming off the half back line and link up by handball, or kicking long bomb goals is one of the reasons I go to the footy. Trading him would be a serious kick in the guts. I hope we don’t do it.
again hes 28

do you wanna have another dynasty in a few years or not ?

Smith and/or Banks will have to step up.

I'll probably cop some grief for this but I'd gladly take Caleb Daniel for a later pick. All Australian half back with elite foot skills and is on the outer at the Dogs. No harm getting a couple of experienced role players in if we're going to absolutely load up on kids in the draft.
He's on the outer because he is so slow these days, and footy has gotten faster. Plus no good against tall half forwards, Baker's problem to some extent.

I think Smith has a big future and will be an attacking half back or even wingman. But Rioli is pretty special, how he gets out of tricky situations and still delivers the ball is top shelf.

He's got 4 good years left, a lot can happen in 4 years. 2016 was the last time we bottomed out...
We didn't bottom out in 2016. We just had a crap year. Apart from Nank, Prestia and Caddy, just about call of our 2017 premiership team were there in 2016.

Brownlow Shownlow and all that, Bit of a nancy boy/umpires pet award

Nic Dal Santo 320 odd games for 126 votes :oops:

But worth noting as a pair, Baker and Dan have given us 13+ seasons for 300+ games for under 20 brownlow votes between them.

Get the feeling we love em, but outside of Richmond they are rated as good solid B graders only.

I used to feel the same about Lids, but in the end he asked for and got the rough end of the pineapple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brownlow Shownlow and all that, Bit of a nancy boy/umpires pet award

Nic Dal Santo 320 odd games for 126 votes :oops:

But worth noting as a pair, Baker and Dan have given us 13+ seasons for 300+ games for under 20 brownlow votes between them.

Get the feeling we love em, but outside of Richmond they are rated as good solid B graders only.
The Brownlow votes is not what makes a player great. I got this ridiculous notion on Ginnivan the other day as he has a low number in 50 odd games so he’s not an A grader. You’re basically doing it with Baker and Rioli. It’s what the player’s net worth is to the team and what they bring to it. Baker is a B grader as you say and offers courage and toughness , but he’s not a MF arseh*le and just a very good backman. Rioli I rate as elite as he with excellent pace beside him becomes a dangerous weapon and can set up so many attacks.
Unfortunately with our FL so inept at locking the ball in and Short as his assistant in the BL he’s basically playing kick to kick as all his work comes back.
I think an early second round pick for Baker and two firsts for Rioli would be fair.

The Brownlow votes is not what makes a player great. I got this ridiculous notion on Ginnivan the other day as he has a low number in 50 odd games so he’s not an A grader. You’re basically doing it with Baker and Rioli. It’s what the player’s net worth is to the team and what they bring to it. Baker is a B grader as you say and offers courage and toughness , but he’s not a MF arseh*le and just a very good backman. Rioli I rate as elite as he with excellent pace beside him becomes a dangerous weapon and can set up so many attacks.
Unfortunately with our FL so inept at locking the ball in and Short as his assistant in the BL he’s basically playing kick to kick as all his work comes back.
I think an early second round pick for Baker and two firsts for Rioli would be fair.

Ginnivan was traded last year for a pick that would have been expected to be worth about pick 35, and some upgrades that would add enough value to take it to maybe a high 20's pick. The picks have turned out to be way lesser value bordering on negative value, but that is what they would have been expected to be worth. He was 21yo so almost the optimal time to get a player into your club. If he was any sort of A Grader, there is no possible way a 21yo trades for pick 30ish value.

As we are probably about to see, Baker as a 26yo will be traded for something around pick 15 value, Rioli as a 27yo for something appreciably more than that.

I have no trouble with ignoring Brownlow votes when rating players. But you can get a much better line on player values based on either or both of A) player ratings, and B) what they trade for(after considering other factors like salary dumps, contract status etc.)

Rioli is rated in the top 12-15 general defenders in the AFL, Baker as a defender just a bit below that. Baker can play other positions of course - as could Rioli. Both uncontracted you are getting maybe pick 13-15 for Baker and maybe pick 11-12 for Rioli. For the roles they play, they are up there in the AFL, elite/fringe elite, A Grade/fringe A Grade players. Ginnivan is nowhere near that level, he is right now a C Grader.

Ginnivan was traded last year for a pick that would have been expected to be worth about pick 35, and some upgrades that would add enough value to take it to maybe a high 20's pick. The picks have turned out to be way lesser value bordering on negative value, but that is what they would have been expected to be worth. He was 21yo so almost the optimal time to get a player into your club. If he was any sort of A Grader, there is no possible way a 21yo trades for pick 30ish value.

As we are probably about to see, Baker as a 26yo will be traded for something around pick 15 value, Rioli as a 27yo for something appreciably more than that.

I have no trouble with ignoring Brownlow votes when rating players. But you can get a much better line on player values based on either or both of A) player ratings, and B) what they trade for(after considering other factors like salary dumps, contract status etc.)

Rioli is rated in the top 12-15 general defenders in the AFL, Baker as a defender just a bit below that. Baker can play other positions of course - as could Rioli. Both uncontracted you are getting maybe pick 13-15 for Baker and maybe pick 11-12 for Rioli. For the roles they play, they are up there in the AFL, elite/fringe elite, A Grade/fringe A Grade players. Ginnivan is nowhere near that level, he is right now a C Grader.
Would have, could have and should have are the words generally uttered by a broken gambler. Ginnivan is worth every cent Hawthorn paid for him and they are getting it back in return. It’s what he bring s to the team was my argument, just as what Baker and Rioli bring to us. Ginnivan a C grader makes you look clumsy lol. 😝. He got a four year deal and at 20 yo he’s a bright prospect and I would take him everyday of the week before Baker. Baker is just a Mr Fix It being a Jack of all trades and Master of none. Ginnivan is a dangerous small forward and better than Baker when he goes in the guts.
I won’t argue this with you anymore and you can shove your wheel o ratings where they fit as they’re nonsense overrating defensive players more than match winning ones. Mansell > Ginnivan> Shultz they rated is a give away that these ratings should be ignored. Stats never tell you how much your opponent has done unless you scrutinise their opponents individually.
Your mate Short is the classic example of a stat padder as you just need to look at the negative impact he has on the team with his missed tackles, poor bombing kicks and little pressure acts. Yet he would have a lot of interest by a challenging club as he could be a weapon with more quality around him as he would be used as a dangerous release player with the better support. This is why Ginnivan is important to Hawthorn as he fits into the SF role they needed.

Geoffrey Raines was the dark horse to win the Brownlow in 1980 and played 17 games where he was in our bests. He featured in most top ten finishes in media awards yet didn’t poll a vote. Brownlow votes are bullshit and you’ve contradicted yourself as you used it to rate Ginnivan in another thread.

Would have, could have and should have are the words generally uttered by a broken gambler. Ginnivan is worth every cent Hawthorn paid for him and they are getting it back in return. It’s what he bring s to the team was my argument, just as what Baker and Rioli bring to us. Ginnivan a C grader makes you look clumsy lol. 😝. He got a four year deal and at 20 yo he’s a bright prospect and I would take him everyday of the week before Baker. Baker is just a Mr Fix It being a Jack of all trades and Master of none. Ginnivan is a dangerous small forward and better than Baker when he goes in the guts.
I won’t argue this with you anymore and you can shove your wheel o ratings where they fit as they’re nonsense overrating defensive players more than match winning ones. Mansell > Ginnivan> Shultz they rated is a give away that these ratings should be ignored. Stats never tell you how much your opponent has done unless you scrutinise their opponents individually.
Your mate Short is the classic example of a stat padder as you just need to look at the negative impact he has on the team with his missed tackles, poor bombing kicks and little pressure acts. Yet he would have a lot of interest by a challenging club as he could be a weapon with more quality around him as he would be used as a dangerous release player with the better support. This is why Ginnivan is important to Hawthorn as he fits into the SF role they needed.

Geoffrey Raines was the dark horse to win the Brownlow in 1980 and played 17 games where he was in our bests. He featured in most top ten finishes in media awards yet didn’t poll a vote. Brownlow votes are bullshit and you’ve contradicted yourself as you used it to rate Ginnivan in another thread.

Lol, you are running with Ginnivan over Baker now... :tearsofjoy:

Just explain to me exactly how a 21yo Ginnivan trades for around pick 30 and a 26yo Baker will trade for about pick 14 then if Ginnivan is actually a better player. You are weirding me out with this Ginnivan for Prime Minister obsession you have TI. I knew you were losing it but this represents a very rapid decline by you. If you get charged with murder when you plea just say Ginnivan is an A Grader, they will know you were not of sound mind. :)

Lol, you are running with Ginnivan over Baker now... :tearsofjoy:

Just explain to me exactly how a 21yo Ginnivan trades for around pick 30 and a 26yo Baker will trade for about pick 14 then if Ginnivan is actually a better player. You are weirding me out with this Ginnivan for Prime Minister obsession you have TI. I knew you were losing it but this represents a very rapid decline by you. If you get charged with murder when you plea just say Ginnivan is an A Grader, they will know you were not of sound mind. :)
Obvious because he was 20yo when the deal was done. Ginnivan has been practically rated as elite by the AFL stats and that’s good enough for me. I didn’t say he was a better player , but said I would take him before Baker as he would suit a need and is the right age bracket for our list. If Baker gets us pick 14 then we should be charged with theft as well as murder. I may even apologise to you for actually being right for once with those wheel o rating scores. 😝

Will we win a game next year? Lol
Rioli is probably our best player and provides excellent run and leadership from defence.
Yze might not get another contract if we end up like North 🤪
Too many kids with no leaders will prevent some of these draft picks making it
Bolton and rioli aren’t in leadership group nor likely to be either

Will be interesting to see if Maurice signs anytime soon. We’ve signed a few of our younger players recently. Will be a big clue as to whether this has legs or not as I think Maurice will follow Daniel to GC
Would be a short sighted move by mj as I’m not convinced he gets a game up there , that said dimmas coach so it’s possible

100% correct.
If he says he wants to go hopefully we just say that we want you to stay, but we will speak to Gold Coast and see what they have to offer. Unless it's something that will work for us then prepare to honour your contract Daniel.

Same goes will Bolton. Unless it's a great offer for us then prepare to stay.
I could see both being attractive Options for GC and freo , lucky for us we hold f the whip hand and it could realise an embarrassment of riches in terms of r1 selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Daniel Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back