Rumour Daniel Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I was able like others to see into the future when our next premiership will be and which players will and won't play it. It would make it so much easier knowing what will happen.

You don't need to be a fortune teller to work out anyone over 27 won't be in our next flag. Unless you're expecting Taranto to learn how to kick, Hoppers body to come good, Lynch play until 40 and Tyler Sonsie to start playing like Nick Daicos.

I wouldn't blame Dan if he wanted to move.
It's a lifestyle thing finishing his career up there in the sun. It's not like he was born in Victoria.

Dimma would have sold him on the lifestyle, beaches golf, no media spotlight. Can't blame him really.

A 3 time premiership player who will always be a part of a Richmond dynasty.

As long as we're well compensated. I'm fine with it.... 3 x first rounders lol

He has another 5 years in him. And yes, I think we’d be better keeping someone who bleeds yellow and black and can play a role in maintaining our culture than trading out a club champion for a roll of the dice in the draft. We don’t want to become north
his body has been flogged with dummas high pressure gameplan, all our players retire early . prob has 3 years of good footy, the rest will be coasting

I wish I was able like others to see into the future when our next premiership will be and which players will and won't play it. It would make it so much easier knowing what will happen.
we aren't winning a premiership let alone a chook raffle for some time going foward.. Accept the pain now and make moves to change that for the future.
Bloody scary knowing tassy is coming, we need to be set up to compete by then or it's dark days.

we aren't winning a premiership let alone a chook raffle for some time going foward.. Accept the pain now and make moves to change that for the future.
Bloody scary knowing tassy is coming, we need to be set up to compete by then or it's dark days.
This remind me of the time we missed draft picks

We did some other incompetent things prior and continued with incompetence after the trades. They have all snow balled into an avalanche since 2020 GF.

Only time will tell if he genuinely bleeds yellow and black. He may see no future in the next five years at Richmond and more chance of success in GC with his mate Dimma.
As a player, success is enticing, hard to go from premierships to bottom of the ladder.
Its hard for me and I'm not playing.

FMD Hardick why doesent he just take half the list up to shit coast , flog

It's the current landscape of the AFL model. We took Prestia, Lynch, Nankervis....it works both ways. There's player movement in the AFL in the off-season all the time, whether we as supporters like it or not.

Accept it and move on. If Daniel wants to leave Richmond, then fine - let him go. But we as a club need to make sure we get the best possible outcome for the club.....suitable compensation....draft picks etc.

At the end of the day, the AFL industry/landscape/model is a business. Clubs do what they can to give them an edge...to get them that silverware.....a Premiership. We did it by getting Lynch, Prestige and Nankervis from other clubs.

Now time for Richmond to reset and rebuild and do what it can to set them up for what will be future Premiership success.

Last edited:
We do need a reset. But we have already lost so much experience with the loss of Cotchin , Jack etc.
We need to be careful with the transition because we could become complete basket case for years.
We don’t have the luxury that expansion clubs have with few supporters and no tradition. Our supporter base just won’t accept years at the bottom. We don’t want to go back to the bad old days of sacking one coach after another.
Losing Rioli is a step too far at this stage. It would take away what’s left of our structure with speed and skill coming out of defence. Not to mention the prospect that MRJ will follow him.
No problem making the absolute most out of trades for Bolton and Baker. We then end up with 4 first rounders in this years draft and plenty in the 20s and 30s. This draft is very deep and there are very good players still available after the first round. We will also be well into next years draft as things are.
So I say keep Dan.

It was a far bigger loss back in '83.
we should take over the tassie lisence call us the tassie tigers
play 11 home games in tasmania
11 home games at the mcg
1 at gather round
get 5 first rounders this year 3 next year, and several in 2026 and 2027
we will win every flag from 2028 -2038

we should take over the tassie lisence call us the tassie tigers
play 11 home games in tasmania
11 home games at the mcg
1 at gather round
get 5 first rounders this year 3 next year, and several in 2026 and 2027
we will win every flag from 2028 -2038
Thanks Alan Bond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we’d also trade in a couple of off cuts from good sides on the outer rather than bring in 6 or 7 draftees , I bet there’d barely be a ripple in our performances tbh
That’s an interesting one. In development is it better to get great people with elite training habits, that can support developing young players etc or great players who may not work as hard? I’m going to guess we go with the great people philosophy, it’s served us well, hasn’t it?

Is Daniel asking for? Richmond is in Rioli’s blood… why would he give that up for the fake club at GC
3x premiership players 100 plus games. Great service to the club. Wouldn’t begrudge him taking care of his future with good coin from GC …. Plus good draft picks for us win/win?
PS….Only if he wants to go though, required player in my mind.

Non of us want to see a return to the “dark old days”. Can’t see it happening tbh. We have a very different culture and way of doing things internally as well as developmentally. We will definitely dip down the ladder but we No longer eat our own despite the meeja noise & attempts to whip up stories where there is none…
I have faith that the behind the scenes stuff like recruiting etc will be handled much better….

watching Daniel streaming off the half back line and link up by handball, or kicking long bomb goals is one of the reasons I go to the footy. Trading him would be a serious kick in the guts. I hope we don’t do it.
Load up with draft picks, Dan in the backline is not going to be the difference to make finals.

If he wants to move on, so be it, just make sure we get value for the trade.

We do need a reset. But we have already lost so much experience with the loss of Cotchin , Jack etc.
We need to be careful with the transition because we could become complete basket case for years.
We don’t have the luxury that expansion clubs have with few supporters and no tradition. Our supporter base just won’t accept years at the bottom. We don’t want to go back to the bad old days of sacking one coach after another.
Losing Rioli is a step too far at this stage. It would take away what’s left of our structure with speed and skill coming out of defence. Not to mention the prospect that MRJ will follow him.
No problem making the absolute most out of trades for Bolton and Baker. We then end up with 4 first rounders in this years draft and plenty in the 20s and 30s. This draft is very deep and there are very good players still available after the first round. We will also be well into next years draft as things are.
So I say keep Dan.

People get worried about following North, but the Hawks have one of the youngest teams out there. It is really more about getting your picks right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Daniel Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back