Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And whats amazing - is that we are equally shit as a team during those 8 games with only 3 wins from those 8 games.

So whats changed? All of those excuses that have been regurgitated the last 50 pages are still the same from a team perspective.

Its almost like FOG's form is 100% mental. Credit to him - he is having an 8 game purple patch. Lets hope we get that for an extended run.

Wait, what? What's changed? Tex has been hampered by injury, missed a block of time, so did Rankine and he's playing in the midfield otherwise.

I'm not even necessarily offering that as my reason, I do think that confidence is significant. In fact, that was my argument a few years back. You tried to ridicule the suggestion. But it has been a materially different situation. And his output is almost certainly still being limited by the team sucking.

But absolutely, yeah, his current form definitely vindicates the people who were saying he didn't have the traits, and leaves a mess the guys who said that this guy's got talent and should be backed in. Totally.

I can't work out why this thread doesn't get bumped every week any more.

I definitely lost faith in him at the start of the year.

Would love to know what was holding him back early in the year. Easy to say it was delivery but it’s not like we’ve been great in that area recently anyway.

Is it as simple as confidence? And if so, how do we make sure he keeps it?

It's definetly always been between the ears for Fog, he's one of the most talented key forwards in the game ability wise.

Extremely happy that he's finishing the season strongly.
I'm a big G for him, going back to when we drafted him.
While he struts around like a 70s pr0n star, he is really a confidence issue with him.
He just needs to remember to keep working and keep presenting when things arnt going his way. I like that he is running further up the ground to get into the game, because he is a decent link player as well.

Wait, what? What's changed? Tex has been hampered by injury, missed a block of time, so did Rankine and he's playing in the midfield otherwise.

I'm not even necessarily offering that as my reason, I do think that confidence is significant. In fact, that was my argument a few years back. You tried to ridicule the suggestion. But it has been a materially different situation. And his output is almost certainly still being limited by the team sucking.

But absolutely, yeah, his current form definitely vindicates the people who were saying he didn't have the traits, and leaves a mess the guys who said that this guy's got talent and should be backed in. Totally.

As always there are a million and twenty excuses when his performance is sub par.

You all mock Vader for the good fog, bad fog - but its clear as dog balls that this has been what has plagued his career since 2022.

He is definitely having a great chunk of games, which is fantastic to see - especially since how poor his first 6 games were. Fingers crossed he can get to 40 goals this year and kick on from that with a consistent 2025 and become a dominant forward.

Ha, I love this revisionist thinking that because someone is doing well means criticism of them in the past was unwarranted.

FOG is looking ok now but has looked good for periods in the past too. We know he can play and that's most of the frustration with him. Everyone getting excited about his 13 touch, 3 goal game - he's a 1st round pick that arrived with great fanfare - that should be a par performance for him. Why a guy with his size and strength plays so passively most of the time, I have no idea. He could tear this competition apart but we're so used to mediocre performances from him that standard games are now lauded. Needs to be kicking 50+ goals a year to justify his talent level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha, I love this revisionist thinking that because someone is doing well means criticism of them in the past was unwarranted.

FOG is looking ok now but has looked good for periods in the past too. We know he can play and that's most of the frustration with him. Everyone getting excited about his 13 touch, 3 goal game - he's a 1st round pick that arrived with great fanfare - that should be a par performance for him. Why a guy with his size and strength plays so passively most of the time, I have no idea. He could tear this competition apart but we're so used to mediocre performances from him that standard games are now lauded. Needs to be kicking 50+ goals a year to justify his talent level.
Fair cal. For one poster to keep bumping “his boys thread” whenever Fog lives up to expectations is a little sad.

We all want Fog to be the greatest he can be. Kick 50-60 per year and fully - finally - takeover from Tex. He is still a long way off this level and sadly I don’t think he ever gets there. Tex is his 5th year (Fog now 7th) was ripping games apart and BOG in finals. Fogs ceiling seems much lower now than what I had hoped and expected. A 50 ish type return per year is still pretty good but not elite game changer level

Fair cal. For one poster to keep bumping “his boys thread” whenever Fog lives up to expectations is a little sad.

We all want Fog to be the greatest he can be. Kick 50-60 per year and fully - finally - takeover from Tex. He is still a long way off this level and sadly I don’t think he ever gets there. Tex is his 5th year (Fog now 7th) was ripping games apart and BOG in finals. Fogs ceiling seems much lower now than what I had hoped and expected. A 50 ish type return per year is still pretty good but not elite game changer level
He won't be as good as Tex but not many are. Tex is an ATG.

Between Fog and TT though we should still have a one-two punch that is quality.

He won't be as good as Tex but not many are. Tex is an ATG.

Between Fog and TT though we should still have a one-two punch that is quality.
Fair call man. I had hoped he would be as good as Tex as very similar players in many ways and Fog was being talked about as a possible 3-5 when drafted (Shifter Sheahan after the draft thought he would have biggest AFL impact of all players drafted that year).

The facts appear to be that he is a couple of levels below Tex but still an above average KPF, just not elite. Agree with TT who becomes the dominant plank and Welsh hopefully a Darling like 3rd tall, then it’s still a top quartile forward line - just not headlined by Fog which was my perhaps my unrealistic expectations

7 years in and he has barely performed to expectations overall averaging 1.7 goals per game in just under 100 games. Heres hoping New Good Old Fogs recent form is his new baseline

As always there are a million and twenty excuses when his performance is sub par.

You all mock Vader for the good fog, bad fog - but its clear as dog balls that this has been what has plagued his career since 2022.

He is definitely having a great chunk of games, which is fantastic to see - especially since how poor his first 6 games were. Fingers crossed he can get to 40 goals this year and kick on from that with a consistent 2025 and become a dominant forward.

Yeah, it's not just Vader we mock. You both engage in the dull hate riding, you both decided the guy didn't have the traits necessary, you were both well off, and you both refuse to own it by seamlessly trying to pretend that you didn't do that and you were actually on with someone else.

Here you are having a melt about excuses when you declared that there were no different variables, when they were obvious.

'Since 2022'.

Last edited:

Oh nonsense.

This thread spans back to his first year and is full of people just like you rocking up and claiming he didn't have what it takes. One of them liked your post. It was a deeply divided thread. The idea that 'everyone's always accepted he could play and were just frustrated' is the revisionist retreat.

Those of us who supported the player through years of his 'earn it in the SANFL' droppings, moves to key defence and midfield, and everything else who said he obviously has traits and should be backed in were right. And those who rocked up and said he didn't have AFL qualities, and could never be a player, were wrong. And we're entitled to say so, and will.

God, it wasn't that many years ago you'd get a bunch of likes in this thread by outright lying that you had an inside source that told you that he wasn't going to get a new contract and would be gone from our list.

And even at the start of this week the thread got a weekly bump from the deathriders, who get upset that others won't hate on the guy like they want to.

If he maintains the post-showdown level he's exactly at that level. That was the very content of the bump you found so sad.

Oh nonsense.

This thread spans back to his first year and is full of people just like you rocking up and claiming he didn't have what it takes. One of them liked your post. It was a deeply divided thread. The idea that 'everyone's always accepted he could play and were just frustrated' is the revisionist retreat.

Those of us who supported the player through years of his 'earn it in the SANFL' droppings, moves to key defence and midfield, and everything else who said he obviously has traits and should be backed in were right. And those who rocked up and said he didn't have AFL qualities, and could never be a player, were wrong. And we're entitled to say so, and will.

God, it wasn't that many years ago you'd get a bunch of likes in this thread by outright lying that you had an inside source that told you that he wasn't going to get a new contract and would be gone from our list.

And even at the start of this week the thread got a weekly bump from the deathriders, who get upset that others won't hate on the guy like they want to.
Didn’t claim he doesn’t have what it takes or that he doesn’t have AFL qualities, actually the complete opposite.

Back