Darcy Moore Contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

I have barracked for the pies for nearly 30 years. As a fan you do not have to praise anything.
Appearing as if you barrack for the opposition and seemingly wishing bad things to happen to your club is a very strange way of showing your support! If you somehow really are a Collingwood supporter then I just don't get it!

Appearing as if you barrack for the opposition and seemingly wishing bad things to happen to your club is a very strange way of showing your support! If you somehow really are a Collingwood supporter then I just don't get it!
I haven't said anything bad or wish anything bad. I don't like disloyalty and so if any player wants to leave I wish they would do it without creating a big song and dance which becomes a distraction.

I haven't said anything bad or wish anything bad. I don't like disloyalty and so if any player wants to leave I wish they would do it without creating a big song and dance which becomes a distraction.
It would have to be some sort of cabaret number.

So where has Darcy been disloyal. And where have you got the notion that he wants to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is his 6th season on our list (2015-20), so yes.

I would hope about 4 or 5 so that we won't have the Grundy situation of free agency angst that we have had admittedly to a limited extent because he has signed already. Some clubs like the Giants have had the pre agency or free agency year drag out and it can create a media circus and uncertainty.

Also even if he signed for long-term but wanted to leave down the track like some players do (Papley etc.), when they have years to go on their contracts, we have leverage.

I am also of the opinion that if we sign players for multi year deals, the money in the later years can become relatively less as the cap goes up.

Going into last year, the expectation was best midfield in the competition. Looking at the team on paper, it was Collingwood, Geelong and GWS that stood out to me in no particular order.

Where do I rate Collingwood's midfield today? Well behind GWS, WBD, WCE and Brisbane. I'd also have Collingwood behind North Melbourne and Port Adelaide who both have a lot more quality midfield numbers. The midfield's of Geelong and Richmond I also slightly prefer.

Collingwood's midfield is Pendlebury and Treloar (both top 10-20 based on 2020 performance) but lacking any support last year. With Beams' return unlikely, all else Collingwood have is Adams with Sidebottom who generally plays more outside anyway. De Goey can pinch-hit through there, but he's likely to remain more a forward still. Stephenson in theory could play inside, and I'd like to see him get some minutes wing/hf, but he likely also remains more forward. Phillips is nice on the outside but he can't add anything inside. Mayne is servicable but unimpressive on the outside.Though whether he can Elliott is another best used as a forward and probably needs to start rotating through the midfield.

There isn't a lot there. It's a 3 player inside midfield group. The rest are guys who rotate through there or aren't of a standard where they should be playing. Grundy really carries that group. He's the sole super-star and is the difference between Collingwood being a top-4 side and a side that misses the top-8. And we're talking about a 22 man a side game. That's a lot of influence, but Grundy is one of those few individuals who makes any difference in ladder placings, making opponents look like state leaguers more weeks than not, such is the disparity in performance between Grundy and really other than Gawn anyone else.

Just wow!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would hope about 4 or 5 so that we won't have the Grundy situation of free agency angst that we have had admittedly to a limited extent because he has signed already. Some clubs like the Giants have had the pre agency or free agency year drag out and it can create a media circus and uncertainty.

Also even if he signed for long-term but wanted to leave down the track like some players do (Papley etc.), when they have years to go on their contracts, we have leverage.

I am also of the opinion that if we sign players for multi year deals, the money in the later years can become relatively less as the cap goes up.
Yes, I'll be disappointed if it's anything less than a 4-year deal. I think both camps will want at least that.

Just wow!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There seems (in my view incorrectly) to be an assumption that it's Collingwood's midfield that drives the club based on the names through there.

It's easy to reject the notion that Collingwood's midfield is suboptimal, but we at the end of the day all know where Collingwood finished. In saying that, from watching games, it's plainly obvious Collingwood's midfield is far from dominant as a unit. And with the age of the group and no real youth coming through there with only Rantall developing and potentially able to come in, much needs to be added through there.

Collingwood have Grundy who is great, he's the solo superstar who shows up every week. For mine best in the competition great. But he's hardly all Collingwood have. My view is Collingwood's defence is what makes Collingwood so successful if I'm to isolate one positional unit. Crisp and Howe are among the best general defenders in the competition and have been for a few years now. Brayden Maynard is as reliable as any defender and continues to go under the radar. Then there's Moore (when available). That's a really nice 4, and the guys Collingwood have to surround them aren't scrubs either. Langdon is excellent when he's available. Quaynor can break through this year. Roughead is serviceable, as is Dunn when available. Bianco has scope to develop and probably if required could play this year. So it's beyond doubt in my mind that it's Collingwood's defence that is the club's foundation of strength.

There seems (in my view incorrectly) to be an assumption that it's Collingwood's midfield that drives the club based on the names through there.

It's easy to reject the notion that Collingwood's midfield is suboptimal, but we at the end of the day all know where Collingwood finished. In saying that, from watching games, it's plainly obvious Collingwood's midfield is far from dominant as a unit. And with the age of the group and no real youth coming through there with only Rantall developing and potentially able to come in, much needs to be added through there.

Collingwood have Grundy who is great, he's the solo superstar who shows up every week. For mine best in the competition great. But he's hardly all Collingwood have. My view is Collingwood's defence is what makes Collingwood so successful if I'm to isolate one positional unit. Crisp and Howe are among the best general defenders in the competition and have been for a few years now. Brayden Maynard is as reliable as any defender and continues to go under the radar. Then there's Moore (when available). That's a really nice 4, and the guys Collingwood have to surround them aren't scrubs either. Langdon is excellent when he's available. Quaynor can break through this year. Roughead is serviceable, as is Dunn when available. Bianco has scope to develop and probably if required could play this year. So it's beyond doubt in my mind that it's Collingwood's defence that is the club's foundation of strength.
Absolutely Agree with everything you said, our midfield is way over rated and has been for a couple of years

I think you're forgetting about Tyler Brown who is developing.

I'm not forgetting that Tyler has only once managed to surpass 20 disposals in a VFL game.

Tyler is improving and improved over the course of the season but he's still a developing player and it remains unclear whether he will be a good long term piece. Even with continued good development, he feels like a fringe type who you should be worrying if you have to play at senior level because him getting games would be an indicator of a weak midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Moore Contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back