Roast Darren Jolly

Remove this Banner Ad

At the very least I thought Jolly negated the influence of Ottens, who everyone seemed to think would be the game-breaker and generally battled really well and tried his heart out.

Not any one individual's fault, just beaten on the day by the better side.

100% agree with this. Remember, Jolly was injured very early on. And I am a bit sour over Reid playing, but who knew Hawkins would lift... very jealous we don't have a story like that. And there is no adequate back up for Reid with Brown injured.

Pretty much anyone who's seen him play the last 2 months. He's been in very good form, especially in the finals. Absolutely nothing surprising about today's performance other than the fact it came against Reid (who was injured, obviously).

I agree with those who thought Jolly was ok, he's played much worse games this year.

Jolls wasn't 100% at the start of the match, i don't CARE what the media say. And after that knock he moved around like jelly. Was all over the place and couldn't pick up the ball.

Still provided a solid ruck tap and even with restricted mobility his experience in finals would be better than Wood's by a mile.

WHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Jolly battled it out, look at he effort in the prelim, he wanted to get back on to help his side over the line. He was pretty good today, and those shithouse umpires lined him up in the crosshairs (as always) and absolutely crucified him.

We just weren't good enough today, what's with all this "selfish" bullcrap?

Darren Jolly did fantastically well this year, he battled bravely through injury, and after Doc Larkins only rated him a 20% chance to play at the start of the week, most of us wrote him off. It was a massive effort to get up and play, whether you like it or not.

GET OVER IT:mad:

Leading up to the West Coast game, Collingwood were openly taking about Wood being in better form that Jolls. Clearly Jolls battled manfully but in a Grand Final that is an expectation, not a pass mark! Both the boys shouldn't have played and there opponants had massive impacts on the game... Imagine a fit Wood jumping over Ottens and then run him around!!! Reid could not move.. Wouldn't you expect a fit opponant throwing a guys with no or very little core stregnth around. What ever happened to a real fitness test where players were tested under match conditions to see if they would stand up... Some of the stuff above is rubbish, you always go inwith a fit group and Wood and Goldsack would have let no one down

Jolls had the most hitouts for any player on the ground. He busted his arse for our team and our club. Selfish? No, that was a bloke who tried his absolute guts out to try and influence the game in our favour. I say toast to Jolls, and I hope he has a great 2012.

Don't declare yourself fit if you can't kick or pick the ball up.
Has let the fans down and was just about WOG with the amount of free kicks he gave away.
His place in the 22 next year is by no means assured.

Ben Reid too. Beams and Presti are examples of team players.

While I actually don't really care about the GF loss today (true story - because I believe Pies will get a couple over the next few years...hey Cats never went back to back), I really am annoyed in Jolly and Reid. Very bitter about the selfishness. :thumbsdown:

Jolls had the most hitouts for any player on the ground. He busted his arse for our team and our club. Selfish? No, that was a bloke who tried his absolute guts out to try and influence the game in our favour. I say toast to Jolls, and I hope he has a great 2012.

Rubbish, busting or guts or not, you don't play injured in a GF. Every footballer and fan knows this. Presti busted his arse for the club a lot longer than Jolly has had the opportunity and was able to put the team before himself.

Jolly was actually re-injured in the first qtr, while he was scrambling a kick out from a pack Kelly rammed inti his leg and stretched his groin sideways.

He declared himself 100% fit ON WEDNESDAY.

Please, everyone just stop bagging him. Please.

He busted his gut today, Ottens and West had hardly any impact at all.

Would you have rathered Cam Wood?:eek:

mate you guys are harsh - Jolly has been a champion, and boys he WON the hitouts w 34! Would Wood, who has improved but is not there yet, and who hasn't played for a month done much better? I doubt it.

He is the best of what we have, but we need our ruck stocks to improve

He is not the reason we lost today.

100% agree with this. Remember, Jolly was injured very early on. And I am a bit sour over Reid playing, but who knew Hawkins would lift... very jealous we don't have a story like that. And there is no adequate back up for Reid with Brown injured.

Hawkins imo lifted when j pod went down. When j pod went down i thought advantage pies, but boy was i wrong...

once jpod was injured hawkins lifted and geelongs whole forward structure changed and caught the pies on the back foot.

The j pod injury was a MASSIVE turning point in the game for all the wrong reasons from a pies perspective

Not Jolly's fault he got selected.
He kept getting a game for ages based solely on reputation while being clearly injured. In the meantime our second string ruckman came into the best form of his career and got dropped.
Pathetic.

Hope you keep your sig forever, JB.

I think that is the point, Wood was never given a real chance to establish himself, while Jolly towards the end of the season was playing under duress. Now, who's fault is it that we did not have adequate cover for Jolly? Selection? List Manager? Coach?
He got greedy!
Also, we need to ship both Taz and Davis off this year. We will never win another premiership with those two in the team. They were never meant to win it. Simple as that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me just say that I was rapt and hopeful on Wood's last game for the club aside from round 24.

But that was one good game! He had shit ones the rest of the year, but had a stellar one game.

And get this into your heads, Jolly was injured in the first quarter!

And Alexander is stupid.

Let me just say that I was rapt and hopeful on Wood's last game for the club aside from round 24.

But that was one good game! He had shit ones the rest of the year, but had a stellar one game.

And get this into your heads, Jolly was injured in the first quarter!

And Alexander is stupid.

So new to the game and already a party line pusher, you'll feel right at home on here :thumbsu:

should not hav playd, couldnt kick, could barely bend over and couldnt present as an option around the ground. keep telling yourself a 20% jolly is better than a 100% wood, thats just ridiculous. jolly couldnt muster a second effort all flipping day. look i love jolly , but a fit jolly not a hampered one in the most important game of the year.

Hope you don't mind me posting but just wanted to say I thought Jolly had a fine game. He nullified Ottens who is usually a much better player for us, and West didn't do much better. Jolly would have been in your top 10 (near the bottom, but in it), I think.

It's just too easy to use hindsight I think re Jolly ( and Reid)

Fraser pulls out of 07 prelim ... we lose ...he's a wuss
Presti pulls out of 2010 GF .... we win ... he's a hero
Jolly plays 2011 GF ( and plays pretty well at that ) ...we lose ...he's selfish
Didak plays 2010 GF .. we win.. he's a hero ( well, he was last year!)

Sorry to you guys saying Jolly was selfish/ shouldn't have played ... had we won, you pretty much know we'd all be saying he was a hero. Same with Reid.

Too easy to be wise in hindsight.

I thought Jolly actually did do well yesterday, did some sublime tap outs, nullified Ottens/West to a large extent.

It was more just the worry he was going to stuff up due to injury, rather than it actually happening. Plus he did give away a few frees that appeared like he was trying to overcompensate due to injury that also caused anxiety.

Also he did get an unusual adductor stretching injury during the game, but still kept on.

I say leave him be and appreciate what he has done for us over the two years.

Reid let the team down by playing rather than Jolly. Goldsack would have been more competitive than Reid against Hawkins. Jolly was not disgraced by his performnce but Reid looked very slow and tentative.

Goldsack on Hawkins??????

The reason Reid and Jolly played was we had no one to replace them, Jolly nullified Ottens, Ottens has killed us before. Reid just ran out of gas in 2nd half, Taz should've moved to Hawkins when J Pod went down with Reid playing spare man. It's not Reid's fault he was shot and the coaches didn't make the call earlier.

You guys bagging jolly pull ur god damn heads in! He had a game high 34 hit outs, not bad for a guy on one leg. He battled hard, kept ottens to 1 mark. So pull ur heads in!!!
Sick of collingwood supporters bagging our own team, so pathetic and weak as pi$$!! And as for giving free kicks away, he does it all the time it's something I am used to as a supporter, for him to only give 2 away is good.

Jolly should not have played, nor should Reid.
These are criticisms of the selectors, not the players.
As the game ran, Jolly was able to play well despite his injury.
Reid was not. One selection gamble came off, the other didn't.
Both players gave all that they had.

The slowness of the move of Tarrant onto Hawkins is the other story here.
With Podsiadly gone, there should have been enough flexibility to hide Reid or sub him off.
The short backline held the Eagles after all. The loss really occurred further up the ground anyway. Geelong just played better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Darren Jolly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back