News Darren Millane 25 year anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

When you say "bull" i think of 'pants' and now i see some bull in Maynard.

If he becomes half the player Millane then we have done ok.

Pants was special.........he had presence.......his teammates walked taller around him.

October 7 I think, will be 25 years.
Great tragedy for family... Message is there in this terrible time.....

Can not get left unsaid, drink driving can be horrific consequences.

I was working and popped down for an afternoon coffee and get the newspaper. Saw the headlines Footy Star Killed. As I lived in Brisbane then I thought it would be someone from Rugby League. When I saw it I was shocked. I am not ashamed to say that I cried for 2 days. In my opinion the club has never been the same. RIP Pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Torquay for a couple days off ........just read the article in the Herald Sun.

Had a tear in my eye during one part......he was a player with aura.

In my eyes their hasn't been a player at our Club like that since.

I was 17 and had a school exam that day.
A non Collingwood support told me that he had been killed.
Did not believe him. Thought he was stirring.
Run to buy the afternoon paper (there was an afternoon version back in those days).
Could not believe it.
Cried for days.
Had his number on my Collingwood jumper.
Still shattered after all these years.

Very sad. I was in a different job back then and the news filtered through very quickly. I was working on night shift and was at a school fire in Blackburn South. I think it was about 5.00ish in the morning (May have been a bit later) that the news started to come through. Even though I knew the news was accurate I didn't want to believe it. It hadn't been broadcast on any of the news/radio stations at that time and it was reilly wierd knowing that in just a short time, everybody was going to wake up the the news.

He was a magnificent player. Blokes took backwards steps when he was around

I think it's wonderful that his number was retired. In this commercial age of football it's good to see some soul in the game ...

... BUT ...

... What is the statute of limitations on these things?

Imagine if we'd permanently retired the number 20 of Paddy Rowan - a magnificent and charasmatic footballer - who died in his footy prime on the Somme in WWI fighting for King and country ... What would we think of that in 2016?

Imagine if we'd permanently retired the number 17 of the the great Jock McHale when he passed? Where does it end?

IMHO 25 years for Millane is long enough. Players are temporary custodians of the number they are issued, simply minding the legend of their number to keep it intact for the next generation. Time for a new generation to wear the number 42.

The Darren Millane story is a sad one. He was a wonderful footballer. It was appropriate that his number was retired for a period of time. Ensure his picture is up amongst the Parthenon of the greats in the Holden Centre. But time for the number 42 to go back into circulation.

(Yes, I know 42 is in the hands of the Millane family - but Ed should never have given it away. That number belongs to the club)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Darren Millane 25 year anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back