Past Darryl White (1991-2005)

Remove this Banner Ad

Champion bloke, too. Would love to see him involved with the club in some sort of indigenous mentoring/talent scout role. If anyone can unearth the next Walpiri wonder, & help guide them through the huge cultural shift of AFL, it is DJ.

Hear his 13 year old son DJ junior, is an outstanding basketballer,cross country runner, AFL player and Rugby Union player. lets hope he makes the right choice :) Loved watching Darryl play and love listening to him commentate.

Very true about young Darryl Ceebee - Also the second eldest of Darryl's 5 sons,William, is talented in several sports and repped for the QLD under 12's footy side in Perth recently and I believe was a standout - I have seen William dominate at Junior Club level (I watch 2 of my Grandsons play)...can kick a goal...just like his Dad.

Very true about young Darryl Ceebee - Also the second eldest of Darryl's 5 sons,William, is talented in several sports and repped for the QLD under 12's footy side in Perth recently and I believe was a standout - I have seen William dominate at Junior Club level (I watch 2 of my Grandsons play)...can kick a goal...just like his Dad.

Lets hope they are all good Old Den, I read where young Darryl actually hurdled over a would be tackler in a Rugby match :heart::footy:

Darryl White is one of the reasons I started loving the Lions so much and he was such a great player to watch. Awesome to hear he's still going strong.

29 possies and 6 goals ain't bad at all for a 37 year old. Maybe a mature age rookie? ;)

Another write-up mentioning his induction to the NT Hall of Fame as a Legend is at http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104781/default.aspx.

The inaugural inductees into the AFLNT Hall of Fame are:

Steve Abala Snr
William 'Put' Ahmat
Jimmy Anderson
Michael Athanasiou
Don Bonson Snr
Reuben Cooper Snr
Bill Dempsey (Legend)
Dennis Dunn
Hunter Harrison
Russell Jeffrey
David Kantilla (Legend)
Walter Lew Fatt
Ted Liddy
Michael Long (Legend)
Don McMillan
Mark Motlop
Dean Newman
Joseph W. Nicholls
Brother John Bye
Maurice Rioli (Legend)
Tony Shaw
John Taylor
John 'Bubba' Tye
Darryl White (Legend)

Great grabs
By Adam McNicol
12:20 PM Fri 20 May, 2011

Chris Johnson has compiled his collection of the top five marks taken by Indigenous players, which has been put together to coincide with the AFL's Indigenous Round.

Rounding out the top five marks taken by indigenous players is Darryl White's leap onto the shoulders of North Melbourne defender Ross Smith at the Gabba in the early 1990s.

White, who was then playing for the Brisbane Bears, lined up alongside Johnson when the Brisbane Lions won their three consecutive flags.

He retired in 2005 with 268 AFL games to his name.

These days the 37-year-old is running around with Nyah-Nyah West United in the Central Murray Football League, which is based around the Victorian rural city of Swan Hill.

darrylwhite2.jpg

Indigenous Round: greatest goals
By Adam McNicol
9:15 AM Thu 19 May, 2011

Chris Johnson sat down to pick his five best goals by indigenous footballers to coincide with this weekend's Indigenous Round.

Then-Brisbane Bear Darryl White's torpedo-punt goal from the boundary line at the Gabba in the early 1990s was included (at number 4).

whitei.jpg

Great grabs
By Adam McNicol
12:20 PM Fri 20 May, 2011

Remember one he took at the Gabba. Can't remember who. Came in from the front. Never looked at the ball coming over his shoulder - just watched the opps hands, leapt in front of him & took it. Never made contact & was half a metre further off the ground. Poetry in motion.

i was in the grandstand directly behind Darryl's back, unbelievable! Those were the days when we sat next to a woman who screamed out Chewy on your boot, chewy, chewy, chewy everytime the opposition had a kick for goal. So for the 5 seasons we sat next to her she was only ever known as Chewy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE INDIGENOUS TEAM OF THE CENTURY

Code:
Backs:          Chris Johnson      [COLOR=Red][B]Darryl White[/B][/COLOR]         Bill Dempsey 
Half-backs:     Gavin Wanganeen    Adam Goodes          Norm McDonald 
Centres:        Peter Matera       Maurice Rioli        Michael Long  
Half-forwards:  Nicky Winmar       Stephen Michael      Syd Jackson 
Forwards:       Chris Lewis        Michael O'Loughlin   Jim Krakouer 
Followers:      Graham Farmer (C)  Andrew McLeod        Barry Cable
Interchange:    Michael McLean     Byron Pickett        Michael Graham 
                David Kantilla     Ted Kilmurray        Peter Burgoyne 
Coach:          Barry Cable

White's promising pedigree
Sam Lord
2:24 PM Thu 01 Sep, 2011

It has been almost six years since Darryl White officially hung up the boots after 268 electrifying matches with the Club.

But the triple premiership star’s Lions legacy may yet live on through his children who are beginning to show promising signs among Queensland’s junior football ranks.

whitehb.jpg

Link

Brisbane Lions' first ever team (1997):

Code:
[B]B:[/B]       Ben Robbins        Richard Champion     Danny Dickfos
[B]HB:[/B]      Michael McLean     Jarrod Molloy        Andrew Gowers
[B]C:[/B]       Matthew Kennedy    Adrian Fletcher      Nigel Lappin 
[B]HF:[/B]      Scott McIvor       Dion Scott           Michael Voss (c)
[B]F:[/B]       [B][COLOR="Red"]Darryl White[/COLOR][/B]       Alastair Lynch (c)   Chris Johnson
[B]R:[/B]       Matthew Clarke     Marcus Ashcroft      Shaun Hart
[B]I/C:[/B]     Justin Leppitsch   Clark Keating        Tristan Lynch

[B]Emer:[/B]    Nathan Chapman     Simon Hawking
         Scott Bamford      Shane Clayton

Brisbane Lions' first ever finals team (1997):

Code:
[B]B:[/B]       Chris Johnson     Alastair Lynch (c)   Danny Dickfos
[B]HB:[/B]      Andrew Gowers     Dion Scott           [B][COLOR="Red"]Darryl White[/COLOR][/B]
[B]C:[/B]       Scott Bamford     Adrian Fletcher      Tristan Lynch
[B]HF:[/B]      Steven Lawrence   Justin Leppitsch     Nigel Lappin
[B]F:[/B]       Nick Trask        Daniel Bradshaw      Jason Akermanis
[B]R:[/B]       Matthew Clarke    Shaun Hart           Marcus Ashcroft
[B]I/C:[/B]     Craig Lambert     Ben Robbins          Nathan Chapman

[B]Emer:[/B]    Brett Voss        Chris Scott          Shane Clayton

THE MAN IS A FREAK!

DARRYL White's extraordinary playing career took another turn on Thursday when he signed with NTFL club St Marys.

The 38-year-old three-time premiership player with Brisbane is expected to play a forward-ruckman role with the 28-time premier, beginning with next week's Round 6 match against former club Darwin.

"It's been a long time coming, me playing for St Marys," White said last night.

"My idol uncle Lance (White) played in a flag with Saints in the days when they had a link with my old side Pioneer in Alice Springs.

"So I'm looking forward to getting back into a green and gold jumper and following my uncle John Pepperill and Cadji and Dennis Dunn in playing for both clubs."

Just loves the game. I still think we should offer him some sort of indigenous/junior development role.

Can,t wait to see his boys in Lions colours.

And the man still has it

White was playing his first game for St Marys after stints at Darwin and Southern Districts, and it looked like he had worn a green and gold jumper forever.

The clever marks, smart handballs and kicking to position were all there from the man who played 268 games with AFL club Brisbane.

Heavy rain in the first quarter was the ideal weather for White.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/12/22/279471_ntsport.html

Darryl White banned for life

THREE-TIME Brisbane premiership player Darryl White has been banned from playing football for life.

White's one-match ban for striking Tiwi Bomber Donald Mungatopi took his lifetime suspensions to 16 games - one above the maximum allowed under a new AFLNT deregistration policy for players and officials.

White was deregistered under the ruling that places a life ban on players suspended for more than 15 games.

The Australia-wide ban effectively ends a playing career that began in the under-13s with Pioneers in the CAFL 30 years ago.

White could not be contacted last night, but St Marys president Shaun Hardy said his new recruit was devastated at the news.

"This penalty effectively means Darryl's longevity has been his downfall," Hardy said.

Discussion thread

Link ....

If a player is deregistered, he cannot play any AFL-affiliated football. The ban is recognised Australia-wide and could bring to an end the 38-year-old's playing career that has included almost 700 games, including premierships with the Brisbane Lions in 2001, 2002 and 2003.White says he will fight the ban.
"I'm a little bit disappointed and downhearted, but the sun comes up every morning I suppose and life goes on," he said.
"Hopefully I'll get the right people in place to fight it because I think it's pretty crude. I've been playing the game for 28 years."

darrlywhite.jpg

Banned...ex-Lion Darryl White with his sons William and Darryl Jr this year.

Link ....

He transferred to St Marys this year after a post-AFL career with Darwin and Brisbane club Mt Gravatt.

darrlywhite.jpg

Darryl White in action for St Marys in the NTFL.

Brilliant Brisbane Lions triple-premiership star Darryl White may appeal his Aussie Rules life ban
  • By Grey Morris
  • Northern Territory News
  • December 23, 2011 7:31AM
AFLNT boss Tony Frawley said the 38-year-old veteran was entitled to appeal the decision to ban him from playing.
White was informed during his time at Darwin that he was close to the cut-off number in terms of deregistration.
Eleven of his 16 suspended games were for bad language.

The national deregistration rule, first enforced right across Australia in 2007, was adopted by the AFLNT in October 2008.
The Territory body did not take into account junior suspensions when it added the rule to its constitution.

darrylwhite.jpg

Players label White deregistration 'a joke'
GREGOR MACTAGGART
December 24th, 2011

A LIFETIME ban handed to Territory football icon Darryl White has sparked an outcry from AFL identities on Twitter.
Among those supporting the three-time Brisbane Lions premiership player were Gold Coast swingman Jared Brennan, former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne forward Daniel Motlop, Brisbane ball magnet Tom Rockliff and Gold Coast defender Campbell Brown.
Brennan described the ban as "an insult to one of the best players to come out of the NT, no offense to AFLNT but that's ridiculous."
His Suns' teammate Brown re-tweeted a comment from Melbourne football media identity Craig Hutchison accompanied by his own thoughts: "Agreed what a farce."
Hutchison tweeted: "Darryl White lifetime ban after a lifetime contribution to our game? Victim of the worst fixed law in Australian sports history. Joke"

2011ox.jpg

Some of the recent suspensions:

November 18th, 2010

NTFL club Darwin suffered a big blow at the league tribunal last night when champion ruckman- forward Darryl White was suspended for three matches on an abusive language charge. The Buffaloes will be without White's on-field leadership for matches against the Tiwi Bombers, Palmerston and Southern Districts after the tribunal accepted goal umpire Marshall Callaghan's claim that White called him a f***ing jerk.

December 23rd, 2009

The tribunal found him guilty of using a "low level" of threatening language towards a field umpire and banned him for another two weeks.

2007c.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back