Research Data gaps + big projects

Remove this Banner Ad

Have just finished off a fairly big project which is less about historical research and more about trying to archive what we currently have online. I've dubbed it "Saving SportingPulse".

As we know, the AFL has pushed the (inferior) PlayHQ product on to all leagues from 2022 onwards, with I believe 99% of local leagues now using the platform as of 2024. However, a lot of their historical results were posted via GameDay (formerly SportsTG/Fox Sports Pulse/SportingPulse) and with the site now starting to fade and break before our eyes, I thought it pertinent to save what was still available on the live web so that that data is easily accessible when archiving scores (for instance, to AustralianFootball.com) in the future.

I've saved MHTML files for every regular season, finals and ladder page for every league in every state & territory that was ever posted on SportingPulse. It was a fairly Herculean manual task and probably took around 50 hours of work. The result is a collection of files and folders spanning more than 10GB. It's too large to share in one go, but if any researchers have any interest in particular parts of the data, chuck me a PM and I'm more than happy to see how I can get it across to you.

Cheers!

How far back does your monumental effort go? (What is the earliest year you have on record?)

To give an idea about the Sporting Pulse, a few years back I used the records on this, the Country Football Scores Website, Phils World, and the Age to come up with scores and ladders of Victorian Country Football Leagues Scores and Ladders. Hope the following helps.

Attachments

• CFS A to C.xlsx
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
To give an idea about the Sporting Pulse, a few years back I used the records on this, the Country Football Scores Website, Phils World, and the Age to come up with scores and ladders of Victorian Country Football Leagues Scores and Ladders. Hope the following helps.

Bloody hell, this is phenomenal! Thank you! Between this and the 'primary source' of the SportingPulse MHTML files, it looks like we have Victorian country footy since 2009 well and truly covered.

EDIT: Looks like a slight bit of 'local knowledge' is required to determine who is the home team, but at least the venues are there. As I've said before, the frustrating part about sourcing scores from newspapers is that it almost never lists teams in H+A order.

I'm particularly pleased that you've got the Sunraysia League covered in full, as that was the only Victorian league that has currently left no trace of its SportingPulse results online. Thank you again!!

Last edited:
Not a problem Gibbsy. I would have liked to go back to 2000 for all Victorian Leagues, but I had no way of double checking results - short of days spent at SLV. I even had a plan to at least have Grand Final results pre 2000 for all Victorian Leagues (I have pretty much all of the Age at home), but even then the Age is pretty spasmodic with this data in the 90s at least. Some of this data is available on Wikipedia, but major leagues like Ballarat, Bendigo, and Goulburn Valley are very problematic. Off to SLV on Thursday and Friday next week, with the aim of capturing the Sun from 1955 onwards for VFL, VFA, and Country Scores.

Not sure how possible this is but, one day, I'll wanna compile lists of VFL/AFL players who died year by year then, once updated, do some sort of best 24 players then pick a captain and/or coach.

E.g. Ron Barassi would be the captain-coach of the 2023 deaths, Lou Richards a walk-up start for 2017 and Jack Dyer perhaps battling with Bob Rose to be the 2003 deaths captain.

Before that, I aim to do the same total goals and behinds for the TAC Cup/CTL the same as the SANFL and VFA/VFL.

With Oliver, his father and co regularly updating AF, the deaths thing should be less of a hassle than it would otherwise.

Relying on the Recent Deaths forum would give a start. Anything further back would entail looking at the Encyclopaedia of AFL players. A worthy subject to look into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1890-96 are now done.

Entree now eaten.
Time for the main course.

Approximately 11,921 goals were kicked and approximately 22,402 unofficial behinds registered across 1406 games.

11,921 goals at a nib over 4 goals per team.

I am having trouble with locating finals scores from the Mornington Peninsula & MPNFL from the 1980s. For some seasons, there are scores in the Age and Sun on Mondays for the seconds and thirds finals but not the seniors. Living in Perth, I have no access to any of the local papers from the peninsula online.

Does anyone have the scores from the following:

MPFL
1981 PF (Seaford d Edi-Asp)
1982 PF (Rye d Mt Eliza) ... after Mt Eliza kicked 33.15 in the 1SF!
1984 1SF, 2SF and PF
1985 1SF (Seaford d ?) and 1985 PF (Seaford d Mornington)
1986 1SF (Seaford d ?)

MPNFL DIV 1
1987 1SF (? d ?) and PF (Pines d ?)

MPNFL DIV 2
1988 1SF (Sorrento d Carrum)

Is there a SANFl data base for games played?
I can't work out if Max George (Central District)
played from Round 6 to Round 8 in 1981
after that he's with West Torrens

View attachment 1980983

MaxGeorge

recruitedfrom Quairading

SwanDistricts 1969 1970 20 games 67 goals
NorthamRailways (Avon) 1971
SwanDistricts 1973- 1975 44 games 174 goals
Fitzroy1976
Geraldton1977
SwanDistricts 1977-1978 5games 9 goals
CentralDistrict (SANFL) 1978 -1979 25 games 94 goals
Railway(GNFL) 1980 12 games 67 goals
CentralDistrict (SANFL) 1981 around 5 to 8 games 20 goals
WestTorrens (SANFL) 1981 3 games 8 goals

Earlier in the year, I was researching the clubs of origin for all players who played in the AFC night series.

I can confirm that the Geraldton Guardian has no record of Max George playing in Geraldton in 1977 and no record of him transferring to Swan Districts. Before his first match for Swans in June 1977, he had been training with them for a number of weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back