Davenport, Kangars & Bedford Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys. It has been suggested that Davenport is set to meet Essendon and Knights later on this week with a view to drafting. What does Knights do? Take the punt or just let's it slide?

I like him and I think his style of play suits the way you guys are going perfectly.

It's interesting really, surely he must have been offered at the draft? And if he was I bet he would have been offered for a 90+ trade seeing as we delisted him anyway.
I reckon they should have a rule on trade week. "all players you have available for trade must be on the table Monday morning and published in the media. No players outside those listed on the Monday can be traded".

Just so we all know what is actually up and being knocked back.

Re: Jason Davenport Delisted

Jeez, the VFL B&F is turning into a bit of a poisoned chalice. I'm really surprised Davenport got the chop - I know we have a lot of players similar to him, but surely he did all that could have been expected of him having been elevated?
I thought the same thing about Grima last year.

It's interesting really, surely he must have been offered at the draft? And if he was I bet he would have been offered for a 90+ trade seeing as we delisted him anyway.
I reckon they should have a rule on trade week. "all players you have available for trade must be on the table Monday morning and published in the media. No players outside those listed on the Monday can be traded".

Just so we all know what is actually up and being knocked back.

Won't get an argument from me...brilliant and somewhat simple and logical idea.

By the way folks, thanks for the feedback re: Davenport. Be interesting to see if Knights does meet him and the upshot of those discussions one way or the other.

I'm extremely disappointed that Davvers has been delisted. He had a fantastic season and was playing consistent footy in the VFL. I thought he could have made his senior debut any round as his form was excellent throughout 08. Geelong didn't even give him a chance to play seniors which I can't believe. It seems so cruel to have a b&f player who never got a chance to go that next step further.

Like I said I am really disappointed. All the best for the future Davv, I hope you get to keep your footy career going at anothe club... orrrrr maybe we can get you back in the draft!!! I'll hold onto that thought.

I'm extremely disappointed that Davvers has been delisted. He had a fantastic season and was playing consistent footy in the VFL. I thought he could have made his senior debut any round as his form was excellent throughout 08. Geelong didn't even give him a chance to play seniors which I can't believe. It seems so cruel to have a b&f player who never got a chance to go that next step further.

Like I said I am really disappointed. All the best for the future Davv, I hope you get to keep your footy career going at anothe club... orrrrr maybe we can get you back in the draft!!! I'll hold onto that thought.
Yeah but who would you have dropped for him?

Yeah but who would you have dropped for him?
Starts with 'B' and ends with 'ynres'.

I know that's a red rag to a bull but you would think the failure to move Shannon on is what spelt the end for Davvers.

i'm sure davenport will get picked up by another club...he's a very good player and was unlucky not to get a seniors game this year
who do u think will get the number 1 guernsey?

i'm sure davenport will get picked up by another club...he's a very good player and was unlucky not to get a seniors game this year
who do u think will get the number 1 guernsey?

Who would want it? They would be constantly looking over their shoulder with the jumpers' recent history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good decision to delist Davenport, he was never going to have the footskills to make it as an AFL player.

As for Teance, perhaps him being kept shows how tight our TPP is?

Can't believe the delisted Davo. What more can the guy do? Plays one year in the VFL, gets rookie listed, then gets elevated to the senior list after a brilliant season kicking 40+ goals. First year on the senior list wins the ressies B&F. Probably the fastest guy at the club.. Yet they continue to give muppets like Byrnes a run.

I think they made a big mistake with this one, Jas will get picked up in the draft by the bombers and play senior footy next year for sure.

Cats starting to make mistakes... hope its not the start of a new era... downwards

Good chops there.

Kangars was never going to be AFL standard, Bedford didn't do enough and Davenport was the next most likely uncontracted player.

but why is Tenace still on our list???? I don't care about contracts, get rid of him and pay it. he's a waste of space and it's a deep draft.

Ok I'll answer the question for you......why do people constantly write the most stupid and idiotic things?

We cannot delist a contracted player, especially when paying near 99% of the TPP. If we drop Tenace, his contract is dead money, therefore we cannot just simply fill in his position with another. We cannot afford that unless we pay above the salary cap.......we all know what happens then.

Perhaps early on when we had Tenace playing... I would prefer Davvers over Tenace any day (I would have chosen Pris over them both :() WHY DO THEY ALL HAVE TO LEAVE! I think I am too attached.

Unfortunately for Davvers is that he wasn't contracted beyond the year, whereas Tenace is. I'd suspect that unless we see some improvement in Tenace his time is limited. Likewise for DJ at the end of next year too.

Byrnes is difficult. I know most don't like the lad (except for you Eliza!), but he does fulfil a certain something that we need, it's his skill level that lets him down. Otherwise Byrnes has a bit of promise, it's not like he doesn't get enough of the ball, especially for a crumbing forward.

The polished finish is what we all are after from this type of player, where Varcoe also lets himself down at times.

We have to delist at least 3 spots (or promote to the veterans list). So we had to get rid of some, unlucky they were out of contract.

Unfortunately for Davvers is that he wasn't contracted beyond the year, whereas Tenace is. I'd suspect that unless we see some improvement in Tenace his time is limited. Likewise for DJ at the end of next year too.

Byrnes is difficult. I know most don't like the lad (except for you Eliza!), but he does fulfil a certain something that we need, it's his skill level that lets him down. Otherwise Byrnes has a bit of promise, it's not like he doesn't get enough of the ball, especially for a crumbing forward.

The polished finish is what we all are after from this type of player, where Varcoe also lets himself down at times.

We have to delist at least 3 spots (or promote to the veterans list). So we had to get rid of some, unlucky they were out of contract.

what is hard to get the head around is dj getting a 2 year contract but davenport with a bit of potential getting only a 1 year contract.

and i disagree with the bit about varcoe's disposal, its not his finish, its the lack of possessions that seems to irk most.

Byrnes brings good speed, poor disposal, poor decision making, poor finishing and a complete inability to contest in the air due to his height.

I would argue Davenport brings more than that already, and in my opinion has plenty more upside as well.

Byrnes is uncontracted - why the **** didn't we delist him instead??

I think its a ****ed decision by the club. I'm not happy.

So can someone confirm whether we get a pick in the draft for moving Scarlet onto the veterans list? If so, we currently have 4 picks in the national draft (Ablett, Prismall, Davenport & Scarlett) = 15, 33 & 39 with another one to be used on Ranga and 2 picks in the rookie draft.

Not too fussed with the delistings. Davenport never looked anything special to me. Might have made AFL level but didn't look like he'd be anything other than serviceable.

My 2 cents on Davenport is simply he got a late start in footy, certainly has the ability and will now draw attention from a few clubs and it is a shame but at 23? without a senior match probably wont stay on such a strong list whilst similar guys in their 20's who have played 50 odd senior games probably will. Remembering it usually takes about 20-30 games to find your feet at senior level. Like DJ against Hawthorn this year we just needed someone at the last minute and with a guy like that you can. Davenport regardless of his talent just wouldnt have had the experience to deal with such an occasion. With the flag window still open we are investing in such depth more than usual perhaps.

Kangars was supposedly a long termer so something has gone awry there and Bedford I actually quite liked but promoting him to the senior list?

So can someone confirm whether we get a pick in the draft for moving Scarlet onto the veterans list? If so, we currently have 4 picks in the national draft (Ablett, Prismall, Davenport & Scarlett) = 15, 33 & 39 with another one to be used on Ranga and 2 picks in the rookie draft.

Not too fussed with the delistings. Davenport never looked anything special to me. Might have made AFL level but didn't look like he'd be anything other than serviceable.

Yes for Scarlo. As far as I know what you said in bold is correct. Unless they've increased the number of rookies you can have, that's it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Davenport, Kangars & Bedford Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back