Davenport to be promoted!

Remove this Banner Ad

extremely talented player. His run and ability to kick goal from outside 50 on the run will be a massive asset in the years to come! Welcome aboard Davvers

This kid will be good. I think his ability (foot and hand skills), outshine Tenace so I think in the future he could take his role at the club.

His run and carry is exciting, looking forward to seeing if he can get a run in the NAB cup.

What a squeeze for positions we have. Gamble too should get a run, DJurkerra, Varcoe, Pris, the list goes on.

Still without some of our guys going to trades it still will be difficult to give guys time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Promote Lonegan and take the risk and pick Grima up in the draft with one of our picks. Not a strong draft so why not really...

Promote Lonegan and take the risk and pick Grima up in the draft with one of our picks. Not a strong draft so why not really...

Why not??

I think the real question is why??

Why would we do that - there is no advantage at all. It gives us exactly the same result - Grima on the list - but with the risk that we lose him if someone else decides to draft him first. Either way we need to free up a spot on the list for him.

If we want him, we promote him as well as the other two. If we don't, we delist him. Simple as that.

I think the club is trying to position itself so it can promote all 3. They are all ready to play Senior football,have proven their ability and are better than anyone would be able to pick up in the draft with our picks.
Wells and co will try to find a KPB and a ruckman with our 1st and 2nd picks. Then try to find a hidden gem after that,ala Stokes and Egan.
Lets face it we have up to 6-8 players on our list that would be getting regular games at most clubs and these youngsters need game time and experience.

I think the club is trying to position itself so it can promote all 3. They are all ready to play Senior football,have proven their ability and are better than anyone would be able to pick up in the draft with our picks.
Wells and co will try to find a KPB and a ruckman with our 1st and 2nd picks. Then try to find a hidden gem after that,ala Stokes and Egan.
Lets face it we have up to 6-8 players on our list that would be getting regular games at most clubs and these youngsters need game time and experience.

I completely agree.

A lot of people seem to be suggesting that the "hidden gem" with #44 might be Scott Thompson - probably not a bad pick up and certainly likely to be better than anyone else available at that stage.

Interesting to see what Wells does with our first pick. Decent chance that at least one of McEvoy or Bellchambers will still be there, and both are fairly highly rated in the ruck. Good chance that Pears, Myers or even Rance will still be there as well, and I would love to pick one of them up. Would possibly be a steal at #17. So which do we choose - KPB or ruck?

At the second pick our options for both are probably likely to be more speculative and require greater development time, and for that reason I'd be leaning towards getting the ruck first. We only have three of those now and desperately need coverage. Our need for a KPB is much longer term given we already have Scarlett, Egan, Harley, Lonergan, maybe S Thompson, and at a pinch can use Milburn or Mackie to cover a tall. Grima has also played a bit down back in the VFL and could be used there if needed. (I think Spencer and S Hunt will be delisted so haven't included them.)

I'd also seriously look at a fifth ruckman in the rookie draft, as insurance if one of the others doesn't end up being any good by the time Ottens has gone. I'd go for a long term project here - as a fifth option he could almost certainly sit in the VFL for 3-4 years and develop.

(I think Spencer and S Hunt will be delisted so haven't included them.)

I agree with those two being delisted, it just got me thinking, our VFL side will be very hard hit next year (not that i'm complaining), with Callan (2007 VFL B&F), Playfair, Gardiner and possibly S.Hunt, Spencer and maybe Grima all gone, they'll be lucky to make the finals :eek::p

Anyway, at least we still have exciting talents like Davenport, S.Thompson (for the moment), Hawkins, Prismall, all should have a go in the seniors, but will most likely play a major role in next years VFL season.

I agree with those two being delisted,
I doubt we will delist both Spencer and Hunt.

Need backup KPD. One can go if Lonergon is promoted

awesome. this is good news for jase, use to play at my club (darnum) and his development so far is unbelivable well done to jase and hopefully he has a long and succesful carear at geelong

well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Davenport to be promoted!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back