David Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said the kid was scum. However, I won't be happy if he doesn't re-sign due to homesickness. Yes my opinion stands. And don't say I call people scum when I bloody didn't.:mad:

Go back a read my orginal ____in' post. I DIDN'T CALL HIM SUM.

I Crows98 I don't believe everything I hear, but I'm starting to believe some of my fellow crows fans are a bit touchy.

And some others appear to overreact just a little bit....

Surely some confidence in the Club and the young fella would be nice.

I think this whole thread has snow-balled way outta control without any factual arguments to back it up.

The kid is going to be a star and so is entitled to try and get a decent contract.

If I was in his position, I would do the same thing.

Why jump into signing a contract for peanuts when you can wait a couple of months to boost your value and be paid in chocolate covered cashews?

Mackay feels at home
ANDREW CAPEL | May 08, 2008 12:30am

ADELAIDE is convinced rising star David Mackay will soon commit his future to the club.

The Crows have denied reports that the dashing wingman is homesick and will seek a return to Victoria - where his girlfriend and family still live - when his contract expires at the end of the season, saying "we don't believe any of that to be correct".

"The facts are David has personally told me he wants to stay at this footy club," Adelaide football operations manager John Reid said. "So we are very confident we will retain him. He wants to stay and we will negotiate with his management as the season progresses."

Mackay's manager, Craig Vozzo, has put off contract negotiations with Adelaide until "mid-season".

However, Reid said nothing sinister could be read into this.

"Negotiations with his management are very cordial, they are not trying to do anything untoward," he said. "They've just asked if we could hold off until a little bit later in the year after David has played a little more football and the club has agreed to that."

Mackay, 19, played his best AFL game against North Melbourne last week, gaining a career-high 23 possessions with six inside-50s and four clearances to be among the Crows' best. He has played every game for Adelaide this year after playing just one SANFL match for South Adelaide in his debut season last year because of a chronic hamstring injury.

It is understood Mackay's management has put off negotiations in the hope Mackay continues his dramatic rise which will add significant dollars to his next contract.

Crows team-mate Brent Reilly, who is Mackay's mentor, said he had not noticed "anything to suggest he wants to go home".

And he offered this advice.

"I thought a couple of times about going home when I was younger but staying here was the best thing I ever did," Victorian Reilly said.

Coach Neil Craig is understandably delighted with the progress of the Oakleigh Chargers' TAC Cup premiership player, who was taken with pick 48 at the 2006 national draft. "David's progressing nicely," Craig said.

"He's come from a long way back in that he had a really horrendous year last year with injury. For a guy in his first year to spend the whole year out and be living interstate takes great resilience.

"He's a really mature lad for his age and we talk about (Jason) Porplyzia's skills and cleanness, David Mackay's got that as well."

smiley-face.jpg

Hey, I'm 49 years old, been happily married for 24 years.

I've probably been married for longer than most of BigFooty's posters have been alive.

Of course I don't do any Rundle Mall perves, anymore, but I can assure you, what you see there, you'd see 10 fold in the other states, it must be so, just look at the difference in population numbers.

I'm happily married also but the day I stop looking I know I'm dead. :p

Great news!

now we just have to hope it's true...

Pretty much sums up my thoughts, although I'm willing to trust the AFC on this one, as they appear to be nothing but a professional outfit who knows exactly what they are doing as has been shown by their ability to get through a period of huge upheaval and change and still be 5 and 2 after 7 rounds and looking like we have are best young crop of talent ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're going to have to find a lot of salary cap room in the near future with our young guns.

DMac and Tippett...

Pizza boy is going to attract more cash too... Knighta (if not already with a salary bump).

Wowzers.

Then again, we must be paying Goody/Macca/Edwards/Sea Bass/etc a buttload.
that last group would all retire in the near future...so there'd be room.

They'd be classed as veterans (which affects how their payments are counted) though wouldn't they?

Only allowed 2 on the veteran list.

Not true. You can have as many veterans as you like, but when it comes to the salary cap calculations the law of diminishing returns applies.

1-2 veterans: 50% reduction in their salaries included under the cap
3 vets: 33%
4 vets: 25%
and so on.

Adelaide currently have only two veterans - Goodwin & Macca, though Bassett, Biglands, Edwards and (possibly) Burton would also have been eligible this year (Bassett wasn't eligible last year because of the 10-year service rule).

Even so, you'd still think that this group would account for a reasonable whack of our salary cap. The cap goes up each year and these players will all likely be gone by 2010, so I don't think we have too much to worry about with paying the youngsters what they're worth.

My bad. Must admit I assumed it was just 2, as I've only ever noticed two on the list, despite having several eligible over the last few years.

The laws on Veterans Lists are complex.

Most teams only have two veterans, because the diminishing level of salary cap relief doesn't make it worth having any more than that.

Last year one team (Footscray from memory) had 4 players on the veterans list, 2 "inside veterans" and 2 "outside veterans".

Not true. You can have as many veterans as you like, but when it comes to the salary cap calculations the law of diminishing returns applies.

1-2 veterans: 50% reduction in their salaries included under the cap
3 vets: 33%
4 vets: 25%
and so on.
Is it still the case that your rookies + veterans cannot exceed a certain number? Was it ever the case? Am I making things up?

Great news!

now we just have to hope it's true...
It was in The Advertiser. What more proof do you want?

Is it still the case that your rookies + veterans cannot exceed a certain number? Was it ever the case? Am I making things up?
At risk of taking this thread seriously off-topic, I'll give you a little lesson in how the Veterans List works.

In order to qualify for Veteran status, a player must be 30 years of age and must have given 10 years service to the same club. Reasonably sure they're allowed to be veterans if they turn 30 in that year (eg Burton). Service does not have to be consecutive (eg Peter Bell, who has had two stints with Freo).

Each club has two lists. The primary list consists of 38 players. The supplementary list consists of 6 players. "Supplementary List" might not be the correct name for it, but it will do for our purposes.

Veterans can be either "inside" or "outside". "Outside" veterans are placed on the supplementary list. "Inside" veterans are included in the primary list. Clubs can have a maximum of two "outside" veterans. There is no limit on the number of "inside" veterans.

The number of outside veterans has a direct bearing on the number of rookies the club can have. Any positions on the supplementary list not taken up by outside veterans are filled by rookies. Consequently, there are 3 possible permutations:
0 outside veterans, 6 rookies
1 outside veteran, 5 rookies
2 outside veterans, 4 rookies

The only advantage to nominating an "inside" veteran is the salary cap relief. "Outside" veterans effectively give you an extra experienced player on the list.

Teams which don't have 2 outside veterans can instead have "nominated rookies" to make up the difference in numbers. Nominated rookies do not need to wait for a player to be placed on the Long Term Injury list before becoming eligible to play in the AFL. Carlton's Jamison is a nominated rookie.

Hang on a sec junior, I was involved in setting up computer systems for a fabrication company in the late 1970's, and a network system for an insurance brokerage in 1988.

You should have seen the hardware & software from the 1970's, was more suitable as props for Star Trek or Star Wars, and when we did the stuff in 1988 we went for the huge upgrade of going for the 15 MB storage instead of the 10 MB, thinking that'd last us for years & years.

Talk about progress, hell, I can even talk with Norwood supporters these days...;)

That is Gold:thumbsu:.

Have to also agree with comments re our clubs having a tough job to keep players from interstate. The fact that Adelaide is the least attractive city in the AFL for newcommers to settle in and enjoy is just a problem we have to deal with.

The clubs understand this and whilst other clubs have their difficulties this is one that we need to pay a lot of attention to. IMO the best way is to find the boys an Adelaide girl.

When Scotty Welsh moved back from Nth Melb it was reported he was homesick. The main thing that brought him back was the girl. Now look at him, must be over that homesickness;)

Remove this Banner Ad

David Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back