Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

How was i wrong, find me where i said i would trade him for anything other than a really good deal. Do the search. I spent ages saying we needed to wait until he was injury free.Also spent a lot of times telling people he was a very good clearance player when he was playing a bit of VFL footy. Now i have an opinion on him. Good player, not quick, not agile, poor turning circle and a bit slow to react to change of direction. Leadership good, clearance work good, footy brain pretty good, left foot very good even elite, right foot not so much. Defensive side much better but his pace and slightly slow reaction time see him get caught out at times.

I have not really discussed trade prospects of Myers other than to say i would swap him directly for Rioli which would never happen anyway it was more based on who i thought would be the best fit for the team long term and i did say it was close. Other than that i have only ever said i would trade him for a very good deal.
He is not Ablett or Judd. Yes he does have leadership values but he is not an elite player. He is a good player with a lot going for him but that does not make him untouchable. Even if he is better than the captains you mentioned he is still not a top level player.
Heppell is already a better player with equally good leadership qualities and will be our next captain.
I have nothing to let go.

How much better is Heppell at this point in time?

I see a few subtle differences in the way they play but they are largely the same player. There was a gap in Heppell's favour due to Myers' injury history and it has been closing quite rapidly in the last half a season.

I agree that Myers is not likely to be our best player (I don't think Heppell will be either) but I don't see why the captain has to be the best player for a start.

The things that favour Myers are his character on field and off (I know that the club was seriously impressed with him last year during the week to week crises and he does a lot of selfless work on field) and the fact that he is a bull in close. If your captain is not the bet player but can boss basically every other player in the AFL in close it sets a dramatic example and would lend serious legitimacy to his leadership.

Heppel is elite and a much better player than Myers. Chalk and Cheese.

Myers is a good player and is blossoming into exactly what we need and want. I wouldn't mind Myers as captain as sometimes the pressure on the best player to be captain may impact

How much better is Heppell at this point in time?

I see a few subtle differences in the way they play but they are largely the same player. There was a gap in Heppell's favour due to Myers' injury history and it has been closing quite rapidly in the last half a season.

I agree that Myers is not likely to be our best player (I don't think Heppell will be either) but I don't see why the captain has to be the best player for a start.

The things that favour Myers are his character on field and off (I know that the club was seriously impressed with him last year during the week to week crises and he does a lot of selfless work on field) and the fact that he is a bull in close. If your captain is not the bet player but can boss basically every other player in the AFL in close it sets a dramatic example and would lend serious legitimacy to his leadership.

I do not think the gap has closed. Heppell is an elite player and he is no showing how good he is by wearing down the tag most weeks as well. His work rate
is as good as it gets, his defense has improved a heap and as you said about Myers he is very respected within as far as leadership, preparation and what he does in general life. He is also just as fierce at the ball and can be bashed and smashed and still come back for more.
The opposition obviously rate him higher as well as there are not many times Myers gets tagged if any. Heppell has been tagged a few times when Watson has been in the side.
Can not agree at all, Heppell is a level above Myers and that is taking nothing away from Myers.

Best player doesn't mean best leader. Wayne Rooney may be Manchester United's best player, but Vidic was always the better leader, hence Nemanja being captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back