Gold Coast
David Swallow (East Fremantle, WA) - Pick 1 in the 2010 AFL National Draft

swallow_d_a.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104530/default.aspx

Height: 186cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 19/11/92
Club: East Fremantle (WA)

Bio: Billed as one of the best juniors for more than 12 months, Swallow has already been guaranteed one of the top three selections in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft. With a game seemingly devoid of deficiencies, he appears factory-made for AFL football.

He possesses a penetrative kick, creative run, and a near prophetic vision for the flow of modern football. Operating in the heart of the midfield, his flawless fitness and physique gives him coast to coast run, allowing him to cut apart sides with surgical precision.

In quite unique circumstances, he was not subject to the rigours of the NAB AFL Draft Combine, instead spending the entirety of 2010 playing for the Gold Coast Suns in the VFL competition.

Rewarding the faith of Guy McKenna and the coaching staff, he finished fourth in the J.J Liston Medal - an award that recognises the best and fairest in the competition.

Last year, he was named the Larke Medallist while playing for Western Australia as a 16 year-old.

As the brother of North Melbourne best and fairest winner Andrew Swallow, he comes with a pedigree and CV as impressive as any in draft history.

Swallow is prodigy unlike anything the game has seen in recent years.

Current career total/averages.
stats.jpg

Contract extended for another year and he hasn't even played a game for us yet :thumbsu:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106179/default.aspx

GOLD Coast midfielder David Swallow has signed a 12-month extension with the club just weeks after the Suns secured him with the first pick of the NAB AFL Draft.

Swallow moved from Perth as a 16-year-old to play with Gold Coast during the 2010 VFL season after the club made an undertaking to use one of its first three draft picks on him last November.

He immediately impressed at VFL level with his strong showing in the JJ Liston Trophy for the VFL's best and fairest player convincing the club an extension until the end of the 2013 season was in order.

"I'm now going to be here beyond next year so I'm rapt," Swallow told the club's official website during a break in pre-season training.

2011 NAB Rising Star
AFL - NAB Rising Star 2011 - Outright Winner

David Swallow 2.75
Mitchell Duncan 8.00
Daniel Menzel 8.00
Gary Rohan 8.00
Andrew Gaff 11.00
Jordan Gysberts 15.00
Luke Shuey 15.00
Koby Stevens 15.00
from Sportsbet
Pretty amazing odds considering he has never played a game of AFL!

24_DavidSwallow.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 24
DOB 19/11/1992
HEIGHT 186cm
WEIGHT 83kg
FORMER CLUB East Fremantle, WA

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/david-swallow/

avid Swallow caused quite a stir when he joined the Gold Coast SUNS on the promise of 2010 National Draft selection as a 16-year-old, twelve months before his ‘Draft year’.

A powerful, explosive, fiercely competitive and supremely fit midfielder, Swallow (brother of North Melbourne 2009 Best and Fairest winner, Andrew) looks every bit the modern footballer – he’ll run all day at pace, he’ll win hard ball, he’ll use his acceleration to break the lines, he’ll tackle with rare ferocity and he’ll kick his share of goals from both inside and outside the 50 metre arc.

He placed third in GC SUNS Best and Fairest this year and fourth in the 2010 J J Liston Trophy for the VFL’s Best and Fairest player. That he collected his twelve J J Liston votes with four outright ‘best on ground’ performances is as good an indicator as any of his ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Swallow rounded out 2010 on a high finishing number one in the 2010 NAB Draft. Definitely one to watch in the club’s inaugural season.

I've watched a few of the GC games on ABC2 last year, and the NAB Cup game last weekend three time now, I can say without doubt that Swallow will be the number one player in the AFL by 2015 at the latest. He is a dead set freak.

Cleanest and fastest hands I've seen since Simon Black when he's in the guts of the clearances. Supremely fit, fast. Unbelievable vision. Superb foot skills. He's just an amazing player and it will be a joy to watch him mature and blossom over the next couple of years.

He also rarely, if ever, seems to make a mistake, let alone a clanger. Always putting a team mate to advantage.

I don't often agree with a Blues supporter but Pumpy you're spot on :)

Yes love the quick hands. David amazes me how he consistently manages to take possession of the ball in a congested pack situation and dish it off to a teammate before my brain has detected him taking possession in the first place. Can't wait to see him in tandem with Gazza in the middle and being rested on a forward flank where he'll cause some serious damage :cool:

Big wrap on Spits from none other than Simon Black :thumbsu:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/david-swallow-karmichael-hunt-impress-simon-black/story-e6frepf6-1226021280343

David Swallow, Karmichael Hunt impress Simon Black

HE IS yet to play an official AFL game but Gold Coast young gun David Swallow has already earned comparisons with Brownlow medallist Ben Cousins.

The No.1 draft pick began sensationally in the Suns' practice clash with rivals Brisbane Lions at Southport on Sunday in a 67-point loss.

Champion Lions midfielder Simon Black saw enough to convince him the 18-year-old was a future AFL superstar.

Had a huge game yesterday. So so impressive just to watch him play! Hope we sign him in for another 4 years at the end of this one. :D

The thought of him running around with more experience on the wing of Ablett makes me shudder a little. Agree with above. He never seems to make mistakes. One of the first tackles yesterday was him driving into someone from the Dees, not reading a dummy. Led to the first goal.

Huge asset. Hope he sticks around with us for a long long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good performance from dave last night. earned the hard ball gets, classic swallow stuff.
unlucky when he got run down from behind in one of the games though. he'll learn from that, always gotta take care when bouncing in the wet.

Re: NAB Cup Round 4. Vs. Sydney at Blacktown.

Fixture just released recently, we're up against the Swans in Blacktown.

Ins and outs? Surely this is the time where we bring in a more senior team?

Not sure if Ablett will get a run, but guys like Hall, Matera, Bennell, Lynch need to play. Perhaps the players who have played every NAB Cup thus far will get a rest or be subbed out at the half? IE: Swallow or Zac Smith.

Personally I hope Swallow keeps getting full games. He's just starting to come alive after warming up in the first 2 games. Easily BOG for us in round 3.

Caddy needs to play the full game. Gun player!

That is a huge call. I'm surprised he even got in our top 5 for the game. Shocked to not see Prestia in there though

That is a huge call. I'm surprised he even got in our top 5 for the GWS game. Shocked to not see Prestia in there though

Really.
Did not go mate but looking at the Disposal Efficiency rate 53% is not too flash.
Prestia's disposal does let him down at times.
Great little player love him but disposal is a little questionable. Can't get in the best every week just sharing the love with Swallow ....

Really.
Did not go mate but looking at the Disposal Efficiency rate 53% is not too flash.
Prestia's disposal does let him down at times.
Great little player love him but disposal is a little questionable. Can't get in the best every week just sharing the love with Swallow ....

I would almost go as far as saying I dont want Swallow with the ball sometimes!

Im not sure if his body is going too fast to accurately hit targets? He has been one of the biggest butchers of the ball this preseason by far!

Im sure he'll come good, and it really is an easy fix. The good sign is he has the engine, physique and can GET the ball.

I would almost go as far as saying I dont want Swallow with the ball sometimes!

Im not sure if his body is going too fast to accurately hit targets? He has been one of the biggest butchers of the ball this preseason by far!

Im sure he'll come good, and it really is an easy fix. The good sign is he has the engine, physique and can GET the ball.

You mean Prestia? Swallow isn't a bad user of the ball I've found. Prestia certainly is by foot though. He'll learn though!

You mean Prestia? Swallow isn't a bad user of the ball I've found. Prestia certainly is by foot though. He'll learn though!

Haha no I do mean Swallow, he is one of my favourite players with Caddy. Love his toughness and how he goes about his footy, but he does butcher it. :( Well thats what I've noticed from the couple games so far this year, and with 53% disposal efficiency against GWS is definitely not good enough. Thats a flip of the coin as to whether he hits a target, or turns it over. He will get better though, his ability, strength, and pace around the contest is extraordinary for his age, just needs to finish it off :D

He also drops the ball a little unorthodox like on his boot I think? But thats just my opinion.

I thought the above comment about 53% meant Prestia, not Spitta.

I had noticed that his (Swallow's) disposals were a little off, but so was everyone else in the NAB games, other teams included. Except for the senior boys, mind you. The more he plays the better he'll get though, you're right. :thumbsu:

Haha no I do mean Swallow, he is one of my favourite players with Caddy. Love his toughness and how he goes about his footy, but he does butcher it. :( Well thats what I've noticed from the couple games so far this year, and with 53% disposal efficiency against GWS is definitely not good enough. Thats a flip of the coin as to whether he hits a target, or turns it over. He will get better though, his ability, strength, and pace around the contest is extraordinary for his age, just needs to finish it off :D

He also drops the ball a little unorthodox like on his boot I think? But thats just my opinion.

Agree SK. Spitter's disposal on the run by foot is a bit of a work in progress, he either seems to hit it flush or totally mis-kicks. He's not Robinson Crusoe on our list though, we've got quite a few of them. Nigel Lappin of the Lions was much like this in his early years though and he eventually developed elite disposal by foot after a few years. Knowing your teammates' abilities also comes into it, how fast they can run onto a pass, how to weight the kicks etc.

Checking out the detailed stats from the Sydney preseason game and Swallow with the highest disposal count of 25 with a disposal efficiency of 52%.

As I said he can find the pill and has the tank and size to run all day. Just want to see the kid improve :)

Rising Star Revisited.

4. David Swallow (Gold Coast)
Taken No.1 for a reason. Not outstanding last year, but bloody good. Stats comparable to Chris Judd year one.

Was interested in this comment, so I looked it up. Stats in their first year:

Swallow.
Code:
GM	K	HB	D	M	G	B	T	HO	GA	GC	I50	FF	FA	DT *	SC *
21	9.9	9.8	19.7	3.0	0.5	0.7	4.0	0	0.7	1.2	4.0	0.6	0.8	76.3	79.5

Judd.
Code:
GM	K	HB	D	M	G	B	T	H	FF	FA.	Brownlow
22	10.1	5.0	15.0	2.2	1.0	0.6	2.9	0.1	0.6	0.6	N/A

Those are averages. So with those we can compare...

Disposals: Swallow (+4.7)
Marks: Swallow (+.8)
Goals: Judd (+.5)
Behinds: Swallow (+.1)
Tackles: Swallow (+1.1)

Swallow seems to have had the better year from that, if I say so myself. :D Top effort from Spitta.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back