dawes vs the rus

Remove this Banner Ad

lukey69

Rookie
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
who do you wanna see in our team i dont really wanna see both of them as we will be to tall. so if you had to choose who would you i would choose the rus if his in good shape.

I think we need to give both ample opportunity to show their wares.

Dawes because he needs to show improved confidence and marking ability to go the next step and Rusling because, while he has the talent to be a force up front, he has limited opportunity.
From all accounts Dawes has put in some "big" work to improve and Rusling's single minded determination to overcome continuous major injury over a sustained period, despite how confidence sapping it must have been deserves our recognition in a chance to play to his potential.

That said if the results are not good then we have to think seriously about other options down the track.

I think Rusling has showed more to this point. Dawes has only played 10 games, and rus 17, so there is hopefully a long way to go for both of them.

Well if Rus is fit, no contest.. Not many in the AFL could handle him and he hasn't even played 20 games.

But who knows, Dawes may have improved stacks in the off-season. For a big man like him, a bit more size might be all he needs, and big men usually develop later anyway.

Well if Rus is fit, no contest.. Not many in the AFL could handle him and he hasn't even played 20 games.

But who knows, Dawes may have improved stacks in the off-season. For a big man like him, a bit more size might be all he needs, and big men usually develop later anyway.

His biggest shortcoming was a lack of confidence in his ability and earlier possibly his knee.
I hope a year in the VFL has made improvements here. Apparently his marking was good in the intra-club but you can only take so much from that.
That said I optimistic rather than not.

His biggest shortcoming was a lack of confidence in his ability and earlier possibly his knee.
I hope a year in the VFL has made improvements here. Apparently his marking was good in the intra-club but you can only take so much from that.
That said I optimistic rather than not.

Agree when Dawes has Confidence he is a better player when he lacks it - It can really show.

The knee reco is a big surgery and does take time to get over mentally

hope Dawes. He's beard might frighten the other team :p from what I've seen of him at afl level he hasn't been shocking but certaintly not outstanding.rusling is too injury prone so I never get my hopes up with him because he's always in rehab.

At this point in time I'd put Leigh Brown ahead of both of them and I know I'll cop some heat for that. We can hope Rus can stay clear of injury, and we can hope Dawes turns into that monster we need aswell as developing his skills a bit more, but until I see what they can put on the table this year I'd prefer Leigh Brown over both of them honestly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither of them are in our best 22 at present.

This. I think they only deserve a game if their form demands it either through the NAB or VFL. Both are behind our current forward options at the moment. If however we start having issues with our forward line similar to last year I think one or the other should be given a chance. Whoever is showing better form or fits the structure better.

This. I think they only deserve a game if their form demands it either through the NAB or VFL. Both are behind our current forward options at the present. If however we start having issues with our forward line similar to last year I think one or the other should be given a chance. Whoever is showing better form or fits the structure better.

I think that's quite sensible, but I thought the premise was in NAB Cup to start with.

Easiest choice ever. Dawes for sure. Rusling is no more than a liability on the field. How does being a man down on the bench sound to you during the first quarter? Playing Rusling is like playing Russian roulette with 4 out of 6 chambers loaded and having 3 shots. Like a previous poster mentioned, Sean is made of Glass. Actually, Breakaway Glass. Poor bastard would have been close to elite if his body was made of normal human tissue. I can't see why we have persisted with him tbh. Maybe they have Wolverine'd him and covered his bones with Adamantium?

I think that's quite sensible, but I thought the premise was in NAB Cup to start with.

I just assumed the OP was referring to the regular season. If it's for the NAB it would have to be Dawes as Rus is underdone. I can see the wisdom in resting Clokes knee and giving Dawes a crack at CHF - see how much progress if any he has made.

My preference would be Rusling personally. But due to soreness he has been experiencing recently (nothing significant), I would get game #1 into Dawes in the NAB Cup to see what he can do. He is certainly making strides which is certainly positive but wouldn't say he is AFL standard just yet.

With our ruck stocks I think Jolly/ Wood might also get rotated through the KPF posts just to see how they look there as I suspect Cloke + JA will miss. Then likely Rusling along with Fraser also.

So a good opportunity to see what we have and get players used to the side.

I see both of them as being towards the back of the line currently

The ruckmen, L Brown, Reid and N Brown are all big guys I would like to see trialled ahead of these two (albeit some of the above will be down back). They both need to earn their stripes with big VFL performances

Have been a Rusling fan but dont like his chances of a big return , missed a lot of development. Dawes is not developing quickly, still suspect hands for a big bloke and hasnt taken the VFL by the scruff of the neck yet. He should of if he is going to be good in the bigtime

Rusling has shown that he can lead fast. From what I can remember, he didnt do much else. That would make him more of a Jack replacement...at this stage. Having said that, last year they were talking about easing him back into playing footy by way of the back line. I think that they will forget about playing him for the first half dozen games and try to get him playing some football in the backline at VFL level.

Dawes seemed to be improving late in the year. He's a big kid and I like his chances. I'd like to see him split a pack or two but it took Buddy a few years to get his confidence up, so its reasonable to think that Chris is going to take time.

I like the comments about Leigh Brown. If he can manage to get his kicking boots working, he'll be ahead of all of them.

I used to have just about no hope for Dawes but for some reason I really think this could be his year (not a 50-60 goal year) but a year where he does secure his spot in our 22. He's an absolute beast and if he can get his confidence up he WILL be an absolute monster at ff

Remove this Banner Ad

dawes vs the rus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back