dawes vs the rus

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree that Anthony is more of a third tall. I definitely think he is best suited to FF or CHF. I think he is a player that benefits from being the prime target and getting alot of delivery at FF - more opportunities (at CHF too if he ever gets played there). As a third tall I think he'd get alot less opportunities and suffer for it.

If he got played in a pocket it poses some troublesome structure issues too. I see Medhurst as our third tall forward. I think if you played them both - one in either pocket - we would really lack a crumbing forward. Medhurst is more of a present and mark forward, a bit opportunistic but not a true crumber. It means our forward line would be very tall too, which I think would seriously affect our forward line defensive pressure.

I think Anthony could go ok as a third tall but I don't think it suits his game the best and I don't think it fits well with our other players and their strengths. Not to mention the structure issues.

I think Medhurst best position is HFF, has no problem kicking them from 45 -50m and has a great field kick on him.

A forward line of

FF:Dick/Davis Rusling/Dawes JA
HF:Medhusrt Cloke Thomas/Didak

is fine it isn't any more top heavy then Brisbanes 01-04 team set up.

Cloke plays a very high CHF which allows JA, Dawes ect to lead into the space he leaves behind.
Rusling should always be used out of the goal square it's where he looks the best and is most dangerous.

What will cause top heavyness is if the coaches insist on playing a ruckmen forward in conjunction with our talls.

I think Medhurst best position is HFF, has no problem kicking them from 45 -50m and has a great field kick on him.

A forward line of

FF:Dick/Davis Rusling/Dawes JA
HF:Medhusrt Cloke Thomas/Didak

is fine it isn't any more top heavy then Brisbanes 01-04 team set up.

Cloke plays a very high CHF which allows JA, Dawes ect to lead into the space he leaves behind.
Rusling should always be used out of the goal square it's where he looks the best and is most dangerous.

What will cause top heavyness is if the coaches insist on playing a ruckmen forward in conjunction with our talls.

We tend to use our HFF's to do alot of grunt work and I just don't see this as Medhursts forte. I'm sure he'd do a good job in that role but I also think it would have an impact on his goal scoring output - which I think is really important to our side. I also think that Medhursts delivery into the forward 50 is a bit hit and miss at times. I just don't like the idea of Medhurst putting so many miles running up the ground on dodgy ankles when he is more dangerous in a pocket. I think Lockyer or Macaffer are better options on the HFF. Although I do see some benefits in playing Medders higher up the ground, I just don't think they outweigh the benefits of having him in the pocket.

Also, I still think that if you have any 3 of Cloke, Dawes, Rus, Anthony in the same forward line that your defensive pressure is gonna take a hit. Didak isn't the greatest in this regard either. The game has moved on since Brisbanes premiership reign - I think there is a much greater emphasis on rebound from defence and also the importance of stopping it.

We tend to use our HFF's to do alot of grunt work and I just don't see this as Medhursts forte. I'm sure he'd do a good job in that role but I also think it would have an impact on his goal scoring output - which I think is really important to our side. I also think that Medhursts delivery into the forward 50 is a bit hit and miss at times. I just don't like the idea of Medhurst putting so many miles running up the ground on dodgy ankles when he is more dangerous in a pocket. I think Lockyer or Macaffer are better options on the HFF. Although I do see some benefits in playing Medders higher up the ground, I just don't think they outweigh the benefits of having him in the pocket.

Also, I still think that if you have any 3 of Cloke, Dawes, Rus, Anthony in the same forward line that your defensive pressure is gonna take a hit. Didak isn't the greatest in this regard either. The game has moved on since Brisbanes premiership reign - I think there is a much greater emphasis on rebound from defence and also the importance of stopping it.

Yeah i should state I meant Medhurst to float around the HFF not venture too far down the wing, quite often he pushes up to the top of the f5o arc anyway.

I would wager that 01 - 03 Brisbane side would beat any of the last 5 premiership teams including Geelong who have shown they can get susceptible to physical pressure ie 08 loss to Hawks and our games against them in 07.

Remove this Banner Ad

dawes vs the rus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back