News & Events Daylight saving time

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunrise 5:20 at home in Qld today meaning first light (civil twilight*) is about 4:55am.

In a few months this will become a 4:41 sunrise and civil twilight at 4:15.

Shake my head.

*Civil twilight is the brightest form of twilight. There is enough natural sunlight during this period that artificial light may not be required to carry out outdoor activities.

Sunrise 5:20 at home in Qld today meaning first light (civil twilight*) is about 4:55am.

In a few months this will become a 4:41 sunrise and civil twilight at 4:15.

Shake my head.

*Civil twilight is the brightest form of twilight. There is enough natural sunlight during this period that artificial light may not be required to carry out outdoor activities.

Had a Gold Coast holiday in February a few years ago. The 'Sunshine State' being dark a couple hours earlier than Melbourne was amusing.

Had a Gold Coast holiday in February a few years ago. The 'Sunshine State' being dark a couple hours earlier than Melbourne was amusing.

When i went up there in 2009 was annoyed theme parks were not open late. Only Wet and Wild on a Saturday night. Otherwise they close at 5 or 6, like wtf.

The arguments against DLS stink considering where Australia sits relative to the equator.

In Perth we'd have sunrise at 6.30 and sunset at 8.30 instead of 5.30 and 7.30 as it is (ish) now. Not Earth shattering in terms of daylight hours compared to Europe or the UK and if it's oppressively hot then it's going to be oppressively hot regardless of what the clock says. Was 28 degrees at 11pm the other night. Would DLS have made it cooler? No.

The temperature reasoning is baffling. People actually think the movement of time influences the weather/temp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a federal thing rather than state based. All Australian states and territories put the clocks forward for an hour on first weekend in October, back on first weekend in April.

Should be a federal thing rather than state based. All Australian states and territories put the clocks forward for an hour on first weekend in October, back on first weekend in April.
Im happy to not have it
I now watch insiders at 8 instead of 9

If we in Victoria have and daylight saving since 1971 and the clocks go forward an hour how come our calendar is the same as everyone else in Australia without daylight saving? Shouldn't we be 51 hours or a little over 2 days ahead of Queensland who don't do it

If we in Victoria have and daylight saving since 1971 and the clocks go forward an hour how come our calendar is the same as everyone else in Australia without daylight saving? Shouldn't we be 51 hours or a little over 2 days ahead of Queensland who don't do it

One thing I've never been able to ascertain about Daylight Savings is whether there were referendums about it in the states and territories that observe DS time when it first came about. The Northern Territory hasn't had daylight saving since WW2, and while Western Australia and Queensland have trialed daylight savings on a number of occasions it has always been put to a referendum, which has always been defeated. But in NSW, ACT, Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia, were there referendums in the late 1960s/early 1970s where people voted in favor of daylight savings, or was it just brought in by these state governments at this time?

Remove this Banner Ad

News & Events Daylight saving time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back