Traded Dayne Beams and pick 67 traded for picks 5 and 25, and Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Collingwood's side here. He's not a free agent so Brisbane have to give up something of equal value to Collingwood. #5 and #25 is not equal to the value of Beams. If Brisbane want him so bad then they'll have to give up something a bit better

Sure they can think that they'll get him next year as a FA but remember that a lot can change in a year so I'd want to lock him in asap if I was Brisbane

I'm sure if Brisbane offer a deal which would've got done before 5pm, it would still get done next week. It's more just about assuming nothing will happen now and moving onto other deals. 5+21+25 would still get done IMO.
Doubt it, Collingwood seemed staunch in their demands for a Hanley/Zorko/Aish/Redden and pick 5. That's unreasonable too.

On Collingwood's side here. He's not a free agent so Brisbane have to give up something of equal value to Collingwood. #5 and #25 is not equal to the value of Beams. If Brisbane want him so bad then they'll have to give up something a bit better

Sure they can think that they'll get him next year as a FA but remember that a lot can change in a year so I'd want to lock him in asap if I was Brisbane
I don't understand not offering 5+21+25. I'm sure they could find something else to give Geelong for Christensen. Indications from the club is that 5+21+25 would be accepted for Beams. Don't see why they wouldn't give up an additional 2nd rounder to bring in a gun like Beams.

I don't understand not offering 5+21+25. I'm sure they could find something else to give Geelong for Christensen. Indications from the club is that 5+21+25 would be accepted for Beams. Don't see why they wouldn't give up an additional 2nd rounder to bring in a gun like Beams.
AC is value at #21 so they probably just want to lock that in while they can.
They also probably think Collingwood will eventually fold

So is it about his dad or his brother that you're questioning?

You said that choosing Brisbane means there is more to it than dad. It's because his brother is there and his dad can watch him play. You tarnish his character over that?
Exactly. If i was in beams place I would say to collingwood that I wanted to be traded to Queensland o be near my father and that I have a preference to go to Brisbane because they have offered the better deal. If collingwood couldn't get the deal done there I would be happy to go to Gold Coast. If the deal couldn't be done there I would just quit footy to be with my dad.

Collingwood has done the right thing here IMO. A contract has to mean something, a mans word has to mean something.

Collingwood were also right to give the deadline they can't let this deal mean that they can't focus on other trades this year. I mean if Brisbane couldn't get the deal done in 5 whole days I don't see what the extra week is going to do.

has meant that this trade period, is goign to be more embarrassing than last trade period, they can't even get the trade up, flaccid.

With just under a week to go, Brisbane's trade period is going reasonably well. Patfull traded for most likely Christenson so far.

Last edited:
How can you still get a salary if you refuse to do a job that you're employed/contracted to do? Pretty sure that'd open up all sorts of legal options for Collingwood. Also are you still allowed to put a price on your head? Serious question, i thought they put an end to that some time ago.

If he doesn't commit to his contract, you have every right to sack him, in which he walks.

Surely if Brisbane offered $800k then and the AFL knew that figure as i'm sure they would, surely if another club with an earlier pick could offer the same and he'd have to go there.

Once you enter the national draft as an uncontracted player, he can put a price on his head, lets say 1 mill over 1 year. Scare the shit out of the clubs wasting a first round draft pick on him for being a flight risk.....end up at Brisbane where he extends his contract for another 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 and 25 is quite a reasonable deal for Beams.
Pick 5's from 2006-2010
Jared Polec
Ben Cunnington
Michael Hurley
Jarrad Grant
Travis Boak

Pick 25s from 2006-2010
Patrick Karnezis
Aaron Black
Jack Redden
Tom Collier
Nathan Djerkura

Would swap Beams for 1 in 5 of those sets of players. 1 in 5 of those sets of years are terrible. So 4 in 5 chance says no, its not a particularly reasonable deal.

Gold Coast have plenty to offer and if they can offer Beams a similar contract to what has been offered by the lions and are willing to part with a player and their 1st pick then deal done.
Beams gets to QLD
Pies get a quality player a pick 7

If he doesn't commit to his contract, you have every right to sack him, in which he walks.

and what if we don't sack him? He'd be refusing to do what he's paid/contracted to do so surely he's not entitled to be paid.

Once you enter the national draft as an uncontracted player, he can put a price on his head, lets say 1 mill over 1 year. Scare the shit out of the clubs wasting a first round draft pick on him for being a flight risk.....end up at Brisbane where he extends his contract for another 3 years.

Fair enough but lets just say they do that, surely if they do then the AFL would be privy to that and would make Brisbane uphold that offer? If not and they pay him under that then that's just compromising and blatant draft tampering which the AFL take a very dim view of. Maybe in years past but i can't see it happening in this day and age, especially since they're more hell bent than ever on equalization between clubs.

Anyway it's a moot point i think as i don't think there's a chance in hell he'll sit out the season.

I think I can talk for the majority of Pies supporters when I say we'd probably rather trade him to GC/GWS than have him back at Collingwood.

So whats likely ( my opinion please don't get defensive Christ_JM ) going to happen is a trade with Brisbane on the last couple days for the same pick plus maybe a 4th or whatever ? Seeing as I can't see GWS having the cap for him (yes i know Christ_JM Griff is going there) and Gold Coast haven't shown much interest .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back