FORWARD POCKET
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
THE BIG SOUND WEST OF THE TOWN!
Laidley reopens 'tunnelling' debate

By Matt Burgan
10:59 AM Mon 01 September, 2008

Dean Laidley has reopened the controversial 'tunnelling' debate ahead of the Roos' clash with the Swans

NORTH MELBOURNE coach Dean Laidley has raised the controversial issue of 'tunnelling' with the AFL umpires department in the lead-up to his side's clash with Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

Laidley said after viewing the Roos-Swans match from round six on video last night that the issue needed to be addressed with the umpiring department ahead of the clubs' elimination final.

"One of our assistant coaches spoke to [AFL Umpires Coach] Rowan [Sawers] this morning," Laidley said.

"We want our key forwards to have a good run at the football."

More to come...

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHAT NEXT Jesse White all of a sudden appears on the field as the 19th man even though he will be in canberra

I am not surprised the club talked to the umpires, am surprised he has made it public. Edwards has only just come back from injury from since we played last time, I don't know if it is intentional or not but a few of our forwards have had their feet taken out in marking contests where the defender made no real attempt to spoil in the marking contest.

I don't think the result of a match is worth seriously injuring someone or potentially ending their career. There may have been nothing in it but it would be a serious concern to any club if players were targeted in that manner.

It's a perfect fit attitude wise coach+supporters = broken record, seriously anyone else getting sick of their "we are a victim attitude" AFL are after us, Caro is after us, Sydney is after us, Mark Robinson is after us.

Laidley reopens 'tunnelling' debate

By Matt Burgan
10:59 AM Mon 01 September, 2008

Dean Laidley has reopened the controversial 'tunnelling' debate ahead of the Roos' clash with the Swans

NORTH MELBOURNE coach Dean Laidley has raised the controversial issue of 'tunnelling' with the AFL umpires department in the lead-up to his side's clash with Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

Laidley said after viewing the Roos-Swans match from round six on video last night that the issue needed to be addressed with the umpiring department ahead of the clubs' elimination final.

"One of our assistant coaches spoke to [AFL Umpires Coach] Rowan [Sawers] this morning," Laidley said.

"We want our key forwards to have a good run at the football."

More to come...

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHAT NEXT Jesse White all of a sudden appears on the field as the 19th man even though he will be in canberra

I think that Roos should raise the issue of "diving" & staging for frees with the umpires. Players to note at North are Harvey & Pratt!

Don't worry! North will be handed at least 5 or 6 goals from our 'friends' in white.
Definitely sounds like a man that has NO confidence in his team.

Maybe we should line the boundaries will cushions so that North players
don't bruise themselves too much.

What next Laidley?

Victims!!

Just watched a snippet on Fox News.:eek:

I'm actually quite taken aback, it's a much worse attack than I'd have imagined any opposition coach would try on, Laidley really gets into us and names players. B2 and Leo both get a mention of players 'that are very good at tunnelling'.:eek:

The gloves are off now. :mad::mad:

I'm tipping this press conference with Laidley will get a good run on 'On the Couch' tonight, very unusual for this type of behaviour.

Looking forward to Laidley having strips torn off him on On The Couch.

Bloody disgraceful and I agree, they're shit scared of us. All it'll do is pump us up further for the game that we have them this scared, big home crowd, them coming off a 12 goal loss, us coming off a 10 goal win, we'll smash 'em silly.

But to name B2 and Barry is just low... We have never intentionally tunnelled, and all that term is is Saints' CEO bitching after a narrow win over us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not surprised the club talked to the umpires, am surprised he has made it public. Edwards has only just come back from injury from since we played last time, I don't know if it is intentional or not but a few of our forwards have had their feet taken out in marking contests where the defender made no real attempt to spoil in the marking contest.

I don't think the result of a match is worth seriously injuring someone or potentially ending their career. There may have been nothing in it but it would be a serious concern to any club if players were targeted in that manner.

I doubt any true fan of footy with argue with your premise that no match result is worth seriously injuring someone.

But suggestions that Edwards' injury was caused by anything more than bad luck with how he landed are deluded. Watch the incident. Was Mattner entitled to try the spoil? Was it a realistic spoil? Was his primary intent to push Edwards' legs under him. Answers are evidently yes, yes and no to any normal person.

Injuries happen. Far worse injuries than Edwards' broken leg happen with vigorous contests at the ball. It's called playing a contact sport.

Whinging is just plain whinging.

They're scared. Shit scared.

I don't agree with him going to the umpires. I definately don't agree with raising it in public, months after the last game and a few days before the final.

But scared? No, not really. We have beaten Footscray twice, Hawthorn, Collingwood twice and drawn with Sydney and lost two games to Geelong by a total of 40 points. Unfortunately for you blokes, I'm not sure anyone is scared of Sydney anymore.

These comments and his timing? Ordinary at best, no arguments.

I don't agree with him going to the umpires. I definately don't agree with raising it in public, months after the last game and a few days before the final.

But scared? No, not really. We have beaten Footscray twice, Hawthorn, Collingwood twice and drawn with Sydney and lost two games to Geelong by a total of 40 points. Unfortunately for you blokes, I'm not sure anyone is scared of Sydney anymore.

These comments and his timing? Ordinary at best, no arguments.

Good fair comments :thumbsu:

To be honest, I'm a bit 'meh' about him going to the umps, but to raise it in a press conference and name Leo and Craig is very, very poor form.

Is there honestly anybody in Australia who consider either of those guys as dirty players? I doubt it and to have their reputation smeared is poor, poor form.

Ah well, just provides more fuel for the fire, and who would have picked that our match would have been the first to raise the stakes!

I think that you're entitled to that veiw North Boy, but just remember how North has done when they've underestimated teams - most recent example was just last week in fact.

Ah well, just provides more fuel for the fire, and who would have picked that our match would have been the first to raise the stakes!

I think that you're entitled to that veiw North Boy, but just remember how North has done when they've underestimated teams - most recent example was just last week in fact.

Huh? I don't think sides are scared of Sydney anymore, but that doesn't mean anyone thinks they aren't worthy of respect or a switched performance. We front up with last weeks attitude and we won't score. There are suburban sides who would have beaten us on Saturday and the same effort would be a disaster.

We will turn up and have a dip. Whether we can turn our form around (just about every player had his worst game for the year 3 days ago) in such a short time is what I can't be sure of.

I doubt any true fan of footy with argue with your premise that no match result is worth seriously injuring someone.

But suggestions that Edwards' injury was caused by anything more than bad luck with how he landed are deluded. Watch the incident. Was Mattner entitled to try the spoil? Was it a realistic spoil? Was his primary intent to push Edwards' legs under him. Answers are evidently yes, yes and no to any normal person.

Injuries happen. Far worse injuries than Edwards' broken leg happen with vigorous contests at the ball. It's called playing a contact sport.

Whinging is just plain whinging.

Yeah, I don't agree with him raising it in the public, if he thinks some players are deliberately doing it then he really needs to lodge a formal complaint with the AFL.

As I said, my only real concern is when a defender targets the lower part of the body when a player launches off the ground to go for a marking contest. Running under someone is not really having a go at the contest and results in the player going for the ball to land awkwardly.

I think it should be a matter for the AFL to look at, not at the Swans but it happens a fair bit to all clubs really. We don't want to see one of our players on the receiving end of it as much as you don't want Goodes or some other player on the receiving end of it.

Again, I don't agree with him naming names or making it a public thing before the finals, it seems like he is using it for an on-field advantage much like Bomber Thompson did against us last year when he complained about us.

I don't think either team needs more media dramas from our game.

Looking forward to Laidley having strips torn off him on On The Couch.

Bloody disgraceful and I agree, they're shit scared of us. All it'll do is pump us up further for the game that we have them this scared, big home crowd, them coming off a 12 goal loss, us coming off a 10 goal win, we'll smash 'em silly.

But to name B2 and Barry is just low... We have never intentionally tunnelled, and all that term is is Saints' CEO bitching after a narrow win over us.

Why do you think he'll get strips torn off him "On the Couch"?
He's the coach of a Victorian side playing a non-Victorian side in a final. It'll probably be taken on board as a "massive issue", one that threatens the very fabric of VFL ... sorry, AFL ... if not reined in now (by penalising the Swans right out of the finals).
Why doesn't Paul Roos turn it round and come out in public worrying about his defenders constantly getting kicked in the neck and head by thoughtless, irresponsible North forwards flying for marks.
I hate North, probably more than any other team (probably started with my hatred for Wayne Carey, who from memory used to get away with more niggle and physical "pressure" than any other player I've seen) and I don't care what happens after Saturday night as long as we punt them into 2009.

The first "Dean" I ever knew, back in early high school, was complete tool too.

Yeah, I don't agree with him raising it in the public, if he thinks some players are deliberately doing it then he really needs to lodge a formal complaint with the AFL.

As I said, my only real concern is when a defender targets the lower part of the body when a player launches off the ground to go for a marking contest. Running under someone is not really having a go at the contest and results in the player going for the ball to land awkwardly.

I think it should be a matter for the AFL to look at, not at the Swans but it happens a fair bit to all clubs really. We don't want to see one of our players on the receiving end of it as much as you don't want Goodes or some other player on the receiving end of it.

Again, I don't agree with him naming names or making it a public thing before the finals, it seems like he is using it for an on-field advantage much like Bomber Thompson did against us last year when he complained about us.

I don't think either team needs more media dramas from our game.
I don't want a stouch,but arn't you one of the posters that was going crazy on the main board about the 19th man , just remember Kirk clearly kicked a goal that wasn't paid.

Why do you think he'll get strips torn off him "On the Couch"?
He's the coach of a Victorian side playing a non-Victorian side in a final. It'll probably be taken on board as a "massive issue", one that threatens the very fabric of VFL ... sorry, AFL ... if not reined in now (by penalising the Swans right out of the finals).
Why doesn't Paul Roos turn it round and come out in public worrying about his defenders constantly getting kicked in the neck and head by thoughtless, irresponsible North forwards flying for marks.
I hate North, probably more than any other team (probably started with my hatred for Wayne Carey, who from memory used to get away with more niggle and physical "pressure" than any other player I've seen) and I don't care what happens after Saturday night as long as we punt them into 2009.

The first "Dean" I ever knew, back in early high school, was complete tool too.
Well said Mr P B.,they are a pack of wingers who wont be around in 10 years.
Laidley is a goose and it will be now even better to knock these North scum out of the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean laidley & tunnelling!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back