Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunshine VRI were in the FDFL (now WFNL) in 1991-1993, but not by 1996 (my records missing for 94 and 95). Think those 3 years were it for them, their stay wasn't long. They played at Dobson Reserve, Churchill Avenue, Maidstone.

The colours shown for Yarraville on Wiki is the former VFA club, and not the club of the same name (but not connected) that played in the FDFL. That team played in Navy Blue with a Gold sash and were known as Kingsville until 1996.

RAAF Melbourne played in "Royal Blue with Gold Wings" at RAAF Laverton. Again played 1991-1993 but not by 1996.

Sandridge played in "White with Red Yoke" not a Red V as shown.

The above are supported by official league % club publications.

You're doing a fabulous job, there are plenty more ex FDFL/WRFL/WFNL clubs if you're interested - Port Colts, Newport East, Willy CYMS to name a few.
Thanks Dogs, I've been OS for a few months so I'll get onto the info you've passed on. Yes, if you know of any other FDFL/WRFL/WFNL clubs that aren't listed, please let me know and I'll add them to Wikipedia too!

Wycheproof-Narraport and Nullawil play each other tomorrow in the final home and away round in the North Central Football League before merging with each other.

Nullawil has a chance of making finals so it might not necessarily be both clubs' last matches at senior level.

They unite to become the Calder United Lions next season.

I've been making some decent progress on filling out the Former Clubs table on the Southern Football Netball League table on Wikipedia. Still looking for info on the following clubs if anyone has anything:

Ashburton: Jumper, Home Ground, Nickname, Former League, Date of establishment, years in SFNL

Burnley: Jumper, Home Ground, Nickname, Former League, date of establishment

Caulfield (not the VFA club): Jumper, Home Ground, Nickname, Former League, date of establishment

Carrum Downs: Jumper, date of establishment (supposedly blue and gold but I can't find any photos of the club despite it existing into the mid 2000s)

Burwood United: Home Ground

Carnegie: Nickname

Ashburton-Chadstone: Nickname and Home Ground

Caulfield Kontias: Nickname and Home Ground. Also not sure about their jumper, I'm sure I saw it mentioned somewhere that they wore black and white stripes but I don't have the source in my records.

Camberwell Power: Jumper and Home Ground (Apparently played at Howard Dawson Reserve in Glen Iris but would like another source on that)

Chadstone: Nickname, former league, date of establishment

Collingwood Districts: Nickname

East Bentleigh: Nickname, date of establishment

East Camberwell: Nickname, home ground

East Hawthorn: Nickname

East Malvern Amateurs: Jumper, nickname, home ground, former league,

East Sandringham: Jumper, nickname, home ground, former league, date of establishment

Essex Heights: Jumper, nickname, home ground, date of establishment

Glen Iris: Nickname, home ground (same as Glen Iris JFC?), former league, date of establishment

Hawthorn Citizens: Nickname (Hawks?), home ground (Rathmines Road Reserve?), former league, date of establishment

Heidelberg Colts: Home ground

Kooyong: Jumper, nickname, home ground, former league, date of establishment

Middle Park: Jumper, nickname, home ground, former league, date of establishment

Mount Waverley: Jumper

Mount Waverley Burwood: Jumper

Richmond Rosellas: Jumper, date of establishment

St Bede's Old Collegians: Nickname, home ground

St Pauls Bentleigh: Nickname

I've been making some decent progress on filling out the Former Clubs table on the Southern Football Netball League table on Wikipedia. Still looking for info on the following clubs if anyone has anything:

Ashburton: Jumper, Home Ground, Nickname, Former League, Date of establishment, years in SFNL

Caulfield (not the VFA club): Jumper, Home Ground, Nickname, Former League, date of establishment

Carrum Downs: Jumper, date of establishment (supposedly blue and gold but I can't find any photos of the club despite it existing into the mid 2000s)

Caulfield Kontias: Nickname and Home Ground. Also not sure about their jumper, I'm sure I saw it mentioned somewhere that they wore black and white stripes but I don't have the source in my records.

Camberwell Power: Jumper and Home Ground (Apparently played at Howard Dawson Reserve in Glen Iris but would like another source on that)

East Sandringham: Jumper, nickname, home ground, former league, date of establishment

Glen Iris: Nickname, home ground (same as Glen Iris JFC?), former league, date of establishment

Hawthorn Citizens: Nickname (Hawks?), home ground (Rathmines Road Reserve?), former league, date of establishment

Middle Park: Jumper, nickname, home ground, former league, date of establishment

I think I played against Essex Heights once in the ressies and I have this kind of recollection they might have had the Collingwood strip. But this was over 30 years ago so the memory is dodgy. It was a crazy muddy day.

I think I played against Essex Heights once in the ressies and I have this kind of recollection they might have had the Collingwood strip. But this was over 30 years ago so the memory is dodgy. It was a crazy muddy day.
Might be on the money there Mobbs, seeing as Ashwood are the Magpies. There's also this photo of them wearing a jumper with a yoke but it's in black and white unfortunately.

Might be on the money there Mobbs, seeing as Ashwood are the Magpies. There's also this photo of them wearing a jumper with a yoke but it's in black and white unfortunately.
Actually never mind, it was Ashwood I was thinking of! Got confused because Essex Heights was the oval where the game was at.

jumperfan so I've got this one reference that reads as follows:
essexheights.png
This seems to suggest Essex Heights may have worn the Richmond jumper, though the only definite claim here is that yellow was one of their colours.

Source - this comes from a document by a Ross McCulloch, available here:

jumperfan so I've got this one reference that reads as follows:
View attachment 2085777
This seems to suggest Essex Heights may have worn the Richmond jumper, though the only definite claim here is that yellow was one of their colours.

Source - this comes from a document by a Ross McCulloch, available here:
Thanks Mobbs, that's an excellent source.

Heidelberg Colts played at Olympic park in West Heidelberg behind Heidelberg United soccer ground on the yarra river across from Northland shopping centre.
Not a ritzy location and less fun to play against 🥊

Remove this Banner Ad

Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back