Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Who would you be interested in?
146.jpg

AFL.com.au has compiled a list that includes players likely to re-sign with their clubs and those who will be seriously considered in the delisted free agency period, which opens on November 1, and the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft later that month.

Michael Barlow
The out-of-contract midfielder's time at Fremantle appears up. Rival interest in the 28-year-old was limited during the trade period, but as a delisted free agent he could appeal to teams looking to add midfield depth.

Ricky Henderson
The Crows defender has attracted interest in his native Victoria after Adelaide informed him it was not in a position to offer him a new contract. A strong chance to find a new home.

Zac Clarke
The Fremantle free agent is getting closer to re-signing with the Dockers having fielded rival interest as an unrestricted free agent this year.

Mitch Brown
The key defender wants to return home to Victoria after 94 games in 10 seasons with West Coast. After being overlooked in the free agency period, his best hope of being picked up will be as a delisted free agent.

Xavier Richards
The versatile Swans tall requested a last-minute trade home to Victoria but attracted no genuine offers. Swans football chief Tom Harley said on Thursday the club would look to reopen talks with Richards, but he remains set on a move if he can find an interested club.

Dean Towers
The 189cm Swans utility attracted interest from the Brisbane Lions and Victorian clubs late in the year. Harley said on Thursday the club would continue talks with Towers, but his chances of finding a new home appear good if he decides on a move.

Jarryd Blair
The small forward should re-sign with Collingwood, with the parties in a good position to negotiate a new deal now the trade period is over.

Tom Lonergan
Geelong is keen for the veteran defender to play on in 2017 but the 32-year-old has yet to announce his plans. Remains a key part of the Cats' backline so we expect him to continue.

Drew Petrie
The former Roo spearhead is hoping to extend his career at West Coast. The Eagles took Geelong forward/ruckman Nathan Vardy on the last day of the trade period, but are likely to add another experienced tall to help cover Nic Naitanui's absence in 2017, so Petrie's hopes remain alive.

Dylan Buckley
One of a host of out-of-contract Carlton players kept in limbo during the trade period, the running defender's future at Ikon Park will be decided soon. Played just 11 games in 2016 but, at 23, seems well placed to earn another contract.

Andrejs Everitt
Spent time in the VFL this season and could be forced out of Carlton as the club looks to get game time into younger players. Almost made his way to Gold Coast in last year's trade period and, at 27, will have some appeal if he becomes a delisted free agent.

Josh Green
The Tasmanian small forward was hoping for a trade away from the Gabba and appears a long shot to return. Has been linked to Essendon and could find his way there in the pre-season draft.

Mitch Clark
The Cats face a tough decision on the key forward given injury has denied him an extended run to cement a senior position. However, Aaron Black's arrival via a trade with North Melbourne suggests he could be on the way out.

Angus Litherland
The 192cm defender fell out of favour this year after playing 2016's opening four rounds but, at 24, could be retained by the Hawks with Josh Gibson nearing the end of his career. Likely to get an opportunity at a rival club if the Hawks opt not to re-sign him.

Cam O'Shea
In a market where demand for key defenders is strong, the 24-year-old Victorian would likely attract interest if Port can't find room for him on its list next year.

Who would you be interested in?
AFL.com.au has compiled a list that includes players likely to re-sign with their clubs and those who will be seriously considered in the delisted free agency period, which opens on November 1, and the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft later that month.

Michael Barlow
The out-of-contract midfielder's time at Fremantle appears up. Rival interest in the 28-year-old was limited during the trade period, but as a delisted free agent he could appeal to teams looking to add midfield depth.

Ricky Henderson
The Crows defender has attracted interest in his native Victoria after Adelaide informed him it was not in a position to offer him a new contract. A strong chance to find a new home.

Zac Clarke
The Fremantle free agent is getting closer to re-signing with the Dockers having fielded rival interest as an unrestricted free agent this year.

Mitch Brown
The key defender wants to return home to Victoria after 94 games in 10 seasons with West Coast. After being overlooked in the free agency period, his best hope of being picked up will be as a delisted free agent.

Xavier Richards
The versatile Swans tall requested a last-minute trade home to Victoria but attracted no genuine offers. Swans football chief Tom Harley said on Thursday the club would look to reopen talks with Richards, but he remains set on a move if he can find an interested club.

Dean Towers
The 189cm Swans utility attracted interest from the Brisbane Lions and Victorian clubs late in the year. Harley said on Thursday the club would continue talks with Towers, but his chances of finding a new home appear good if he decides on a move.

Jarryd Blair
The small forward should re-sign with Collingwood, with the parties in a good position to negotiate a new deal now the trade period is over.

Tom Lonergan
Geelong is keen for the veteran defender to play on in 2017 but the 32-year-old has yet to announce his plans. Remains a key part of the Cats' backline so we expect him to continue.

Drew Petrie
The former Roo spearhead is hoping to extend his career at West Coast. The Eagles took Geelong forward/ruckman Nathan Vardy on the last day of the trade period, but are likely to add another experienced tall to help cover Nic Naitanui's absence in 2017, so Petrie's hopes remain alive.

Dylan Buckley
One of a host of out-of-contract Carlton players kept in limbo during the trade period, the running defender's future at Ikon Park will be decided soon. Played just 11 games in 2016 but, at 23, seems well placed to earn another contract.

Andrejs Everitt
Spent time in the VFL this season and could be forced out of Carlton as the club looks to get game time into younger players. Almost made his way to Gold Coast in last year's trade period and, at 27, will have some appeal if he becomes a delisted free agent.

Josh Green
The Tasmanian small forward was hoping for a trade away from the Gabba and appears a long shot to return. Has been linked to Essendon and could find his way there in the pre-season draft.

Mitch Clark
The Cats face a tough decision on the key forward given injury has denied him an extended run to cement a senior position. However, Aaron Black's arrival via a trade with North Melbourne suggests he could be on the way out.

Angus Litherland
The 192cm defender fell out of favour this year after playing 2016's opening four rounds but, at 24, could be retained by the Hawks with Josh Gibson nearing the end of his career. Likely to get an opportunity at a rival club if the Hawks opt not to re-sign him.

Cam O'Shea
In a market where demand for key defenders is strong, the 24-year-old Victorian would likely attract interest if Port can't find room for him on its list next year.
Made it obvious which ones i wouldn't mind seeing at Hawthorn of course Litherland is already at the Hawks.

I'll order it from the ones i most want to least want:

1. Buckley. i'd be ecstatic if Hawks got him. Don't know why he's not signed up yet.

2. Mitch Brown. Need a KPD.

3. X.Richards. Talented player. unlucky with injuries. Nice addition to any team provided he stays fit.

4. Barlow. Got something to offer. Decent player. got another 3 years left in him at least.

5. Towers. Alright player. can see him getting picked up by another team if he doesn't go on at Sydney. could be good.

6. Henderson, O'Shea, Everitt

7. Clarke, Blair

8. Lonergan & Petrie

Didn't include Litherland as he's already a hawk.

Granted the NEAFL is a poor league - but Xavier Richards killed it there. Get him under Clakro and get his confidence up and he could be a player. We could use another tall option as well.

Anyone who says Mitch Clark has rocks in their head.

Buckley is not a good pick up. He is servicable but will not be any more than C grade from what I have seen.

If we were competing for the flag I'd see value in Barlow but as it is I'd rather see Woodward have a shot if we lost Mitchell.

Richards; no thanks we have a plethora of not quite key position talls.

Brown; maybe as he fills a definite deficiency.

Towers & Everitt; both C grade utilities; pass.

Buckley is not a good pick up. He is servicable but will not be any more than C grade from what I have seen.

If we were competing for the flag I'd see value in Barlow but as it is I'd rather see Woodward have a shot if we lost Mitchell.

Richards; no thanks we have a plethora of not quite key position talls.

Brown; maybe as he fills a definite deficiency.

Towers & Everitt; both C grade utilities; pass.
On Buckley, I would also suggest if he was overlooked through 2016 by Bolton, he'd probably not be something Clarkson would be interested in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our draft starts at 88. I'd be surprised if we didn't take one or two delisted free agents.

If that list id consider Richards, Brown and Barlow. If Barrett at GWS is delisted he might be worth a look too.

No one on that list is overly enticing, but then again there won't be much enticing at pick 88 either.

Most of those on that list are still contracted or wanted by their current clubs too, so not exactly delisted free agents.

Morabito is the one who is delisted that has the biggest scope for improvement. The rest all are all stop-gaps the deprive younger players from developing ala Grimley in '13 & '14.

No one on that list is overly enticing, but then again there won't be much enticing at pick 88 either.

Most of those on that list are still contracted or wanted by their current clubs too, so not exactly delisted free agents.

Morabito is the one who is delisted that has the biggest scope for improvement. The rest all are all stop-gaps the deprive younger players from developing ala Grimley in '13 & '14.

I thought Grimley deprived himself from developing by being a lazy player?

Your point is valid though. That's why I think Richards would be the best target there as he's younger and a backup forward wouldn't be all that bad for us.

Not keen on Barlow because Shiels and Langford are already ahead of him. Langford is a similar player and younger.

I thought Grimley deprived himself from developing by being a lazy player?

Your point is valid though. That's why I think Richards would be the best target there as he's younger and a backup forward wouldn't be all that bad for us.

Not keen on Barlow because Shiels and Langford are already ahead of him. Langford is a similar player and younger.
Grimley had a negative effect on the development of the other KPF's on Hawthorn's list. Grimley was the main target for BHH as he was taller than the average VFL KPD and could occasionally take a mark. Therefore he was the main target and not in the future plans of Hawthorn while Toby and co. were ignored and that slowed their development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted free agents - sifting through the neighbor's bins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back