Delisted free agents - sifting through the neighbor's bins

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're being a little optimistic, or perhaps haven't taken into account just how deep the Bulldogs and Giants bat.

We would need a lot to go right to contend.
Since we won the 2015 flag we'd probably need all of the following to be seriously contending in 2017:
- Vickery to at minimum match Hale's 2015 output (possible)
- Brand to at minimum match Lake's 2015 output (probably unlikely and he offers something different anyway)
- T.Mitchell and O'Meara to match the combined output of S.Mitchell and Lewis' 2015 output (would need them both to seamlessly fit and hit the ground running)
- Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson to not slide very far
- Quite a lot of our youth to improve enough to be useful depth throughout the year
- The net change in form/ability of all our other best 22 players to at least breakeven with 2015
- Roughead to have done a pre-season and be available for the majority of the year.
- Not have a next best side that's much stronger than West Coast 2015
- A new game plan that our current list can execute that can effectively combat the strengths of teams like Bulldogs and GWS

We'd have done well to get even half of this in our favour before the end of next season. So I agree it would be very optimistic to think we could be seriously contending again next season. But stranger things have happened.

Since we won the 2015 flag we'd probably need all of the following to be seriously contending in 2017:
- Vickery to at minimum match Hale's 2015 output (possible)
- Brand to at minimum match Lake's 2015 output (probably unlikely and he offers something different anyway)
- T.Mitchell and O'Meara to match the combined output of S.Mitchell and Lewis' 2015 output (would need them both to seamlessly fit and hit the ground running)
- Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson to not slide very far
- Quite a lot of our youth to improve enough to be useful depth throughout the year
- The net change in form/ability of all our other best 22 players to at least breakeven with 2015
- Roughead to have done a pre-season and be available for the majority of the year.
- Not have a next best side that's much stronger than West Coast 2015
- A new game plan that our current list can execute that can effectively combat the strengths of teams like Bulldogs and GWS

We'd have done well to get even half of this in our favour before the end of next season. So I agree it would be very optimistic to think we could be seriously contending again next season. But stranger things have happened.

*DONALD TRUMP LIKES THIS POST*

Attend quite a few BHH games, review some of my posts on the BHH thread.

Miles could have debuted towards the end of the year if it wasnt for his injury. Is a very nice player. Has improved out of sight in the last half of 2016. Was even listed as an emergency once or twice i believe.

Lovell on a wing has been much discussed on other threads. Why can't he play there? You realise he has an incredible tank? Can run all day. Look at his combine results. Finished top 6 or 7 in the beep test.

Miles. Nothing screams AFL standard. I hope I'm wrong. He is too short for back pocket, his improvement was as a defensive forward pocket. I am thinking your evaluation is based off the ABC televised game he kicked three late in the year?

Lovell. I am the most confident about this kid making it. Will be a very good player. He is not a winger but. His game is contested ball. If you have played the game you will obviously realise it's a very difficult position to play. Smith is elite as a winger. Lovell is hopefully elite as a contested player that goes from contest to contest, like sammy..

Miles. Nothing screams AFL standard. I hope I'm wrong. He is too short for back pocket, his improvement was as a defensive forward pocket. I am thinking your evaluation is based off the ABC televised game he kicked three late in the year?

Lovell. I am the most confident about this kid making it. Will be a very good player. He is not a winger but. His game is contested ball. If you have played the game you will obviously realise it's a very difficult position to play. Smith is elite as a winger. Lovell is hopefully elite as a contested player that goes from contest to contest, like sammy..
Yeah Lovell looks good. Miles came third in the box hill B&F and missed the last three games so he has talent just question of where he can play at AFL level

So Miles is too short to make it, listed as 1.8m, but Lovell you feel confident about and he is 1.74m.

If your good enough, height becomes irrelevant e.g. Caleb Daniel.

Your interpretation is that Lewis said stuff you I'm going to the dees and then we tried to keep him.

He was asked about GCS he said no.
Conversations about his future and next contract were had.
He explored his options in Melbourne.
His manager got him a really good deal at the Dees.
Dees low balled at the trade table.
Hawks took unders in the end to facilitate the move.

There was a lot of noise in the media about Hawks during the trade period that was soap opera like, you seem to have bought into that as you haven't come up with anything that indicates you know what happened

Do you want me to produce a voice recording? The facts of the matter would be enough for most without the accompanying commentary at the time. Why are you having such a hard time with this?

Do you want me to produce a voice recording? The facts of the matter would be enough for most without the accompanying commentary at the time. Why are you having such a hard time with this?
Because you are stating soap opera opinion as fact.

Miles. Nothing screams AFL standard. I hope I'm wrong. He is too short for back pocket, his improvement was as a defensive forward pocket...

Miles is similar to Harbrow, bum close to the ground and good evasive skills. Doc (179cms) provides little dash out of defence, Miles is far more attacking. He is not a huge kick but is smart with the footy. Would be the worst ducker to ever pull on a HFC jumper if he debuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was possibly quite a few things going on with Lewis behind the scenes. I don't think we have access to enough information to conclude what happened and when.

So Miles is too short to make it, listed as 1.8m, but Lovell you feel confident about and he is 1.74m.

If your good enough, height becomes irrelevant e.g. Caleb Daniel.

I would suggest you consider positions they play. Lovell plays mid. Miles is the same height as Duryea, but 10kg lighter. You don't see many 180cm back pockets weighing 70kg these days. Watching Box Hill, he just didn't seem to have put any weight on over the course of the season.

Anyhow, they pushed him forward and you would suspect his best hope if pushing for a poppy role in a few seasons.

Your
Miles was given a contract extension in 2016.

If he has "nothing that screams AFL standard" then what exactly is the club doing?

Your right. I should have prefaced it with 'in my opinion'. I'm happy to be wrong on this in two years.

But remember, BF would be a lonely place if we're not entitled to the odd soap box moment...

Thanks for pulling me up, I can see why your the moderator.

Can't recall Miles starting forward too often. They normally chucked him forward in desperation. He is light across the chest and shoulders, but we have a tendency to keep weight off our newbies. If he makes it, he will be a zippy, creative, small defender. I have seen worse prospects at BHH.

So it's delisted free agency round 2 as of today. We expecting to hear anything from the Hawks? If we had of delisted someone yesterday or had someone retire early like there seemed to be a few do yesterday I reckon we would but I think we head to the draft with this list. Do we need to fill the full 40 into next season? we have 37 now if I'm not mistaken? Will add two at the draft giving us 39

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted free agents - sifting through the neighbor's bins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back