Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone considered Kosi in the ruck calculations ?
He performed admirably in the second half of the drawn GF.
It may be that we also have our eye on a VFL ruckman.

Kosi as a second ruck opens a key forward position, which in turn places pressure on Walsh, Cahill, Heyne and Lynch to come on this year, of which Heyne is not a KP.

It may well be with the new interchange system we won't be playing two rucks a game.
Rather it will be Gardiner or McEvoy with help from the likes of Kosi, Blake or Stanley ( depending on who is playing ).
I'd be rucking with Kosi and playing Stanley in the forward line before I'd go rucking with Stanley. ( Which takes some of the pressure of Lynch , Cahill etc ).

You never know , the Saints may also have a smokey mature age rookie in mind.

I'm a bit pissed that we took on McGrath in the first place if we weren't going to go the distance.
I don't agree with delisting McGrath, I hope we re-rookie him, but we had nothing to lose by taking him on. As a NSW rookie he didn't take up a place on our rookie list so it's not like he denied anyone a place on our list. He did have a couple of ankle injuries if I recall correctly, perhaps he is never going to bulk up to the size required to ruck at AFL level.

I would very much like to hear the club's explanation for delisting him and Hutchings.

thing with Cahill is that he is an absolute jet when he is on :thumbsu:

Coaching staff obviously realise this and are just going to try and get some strength and consistency into his game.

he absolutely tore Michael Hurley a new one at the under 18's national champs a few years ago. (and Hurley played that comp like a man against boys).

However, I dare say next season is the last roll of the dice for Paul.

thing with Cahill is that he is an absolute jet when he is on :thumbsu:

Coaching staff obviously realise this and are just going to try and get some strength and consistency into his game.

he absolutely tore Michael Hurley a new one at the under 18's national champs a few years ago. (and Hurley played that comp like a man against boys).

However, I dare say next season is the last roll of the dice for Paul.

i watched him up on the gold coast this year and his attack at the ball blew me away, he definitely has something to offer.

I am not fussed at the management at this stage, we haven't lost any of the hard at it players as IDed by Squizzy. We need to keep all the angry young men on our list. If they are not angry, start sticking pins into them and fire them up. Passion is what we need to draft and keep.

Am also very glad we did no trades, the best will end up at the GC all the others will have big ? hanging over them.

I don't agree with delisting McGrath, I hope we re-rookie him, but we had nothing to lose by taking him on. As a NSW rookie he didn't take up a place on our rookie list so it's not like he denied anyone a place on our list. He did have a couple of ankle injuries if I recall correctly, perhaps he is never going to bulk up to the size required to ruck at AFL level.

I would very much like to hear the club's explanation for delisting him and Hutchings.
I remember reading on Saintsational before the season that one of the posters spoke to McGrath at a function in Queensland and he had a really bad attitude - he was joking about some weight sessions he told the coaches he'd been doing but which he'd actually skipped.

If that's true, and his attitude didn't improve, then he's not going to make it anywhere. Just because someone's tall it doesn't mean they're a better bet than anyone else.

Still surprised re Patto. Makes me think Gardiner is going around again.

I'm so hoping our young brigade of Armo, Steven, Lynch, Stanley, Heyne, Miles and co can step up. Ability is there it's more confidence that they need to develop.

How nice would it have been to have had a fit Jarrod Allen these past two years. Was going to be Sammy Fish mkII as a forward. Sigh. Poor bugger

I'm so hoping our young brigade of Armo, Steven, Lynch, Stanley, Heyne, Miles and co can step up. Ability is there it's more confidence that they need to develop.

How nice would it have been to have had a fit Jarrod Allen these past two years. Was going to be Sammy Fish mkII as a forward. Sigh. Poor bugger

I think it makes sense if they Rookie Patto, freeing up the main list . He wasn't a really effective player and should only play if there is a big problem with Gardiner or McEvoy.
If Gardiner doesn't pull up from his treatment - long term injury and Patto is temporarily elevated.

Even if Gardi is having another season, you wouldn't bank on anywhere near 22 games.

Does this mean that we'd commit to playing Macca even if he was out of form?

Don't think so.

Either they have identified a mature ruckman to draft or Patto will be picked up again.

EDIT - too quick, SS!

I wish we had. Would have been a lot easier earlier in the year without roo, and he certainly seemed to give more below the knees than kosi. Cahill, as much as I like him, just doesn't seem to offer as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the deal with Hutchins?

Thought he was a decent prospect in his U18 year, what happened with him this year?

Injuries? home sick? not up to it?

Would love to know..

It's the question everyone wants to know really, he hasn't been at the club all that long for home sickness I would have thought, he's 19 so still rather young to be considered failed, only thing I can think of is that they might be thinking with a supposed excess of inside mids this draft they might have an eye on a "trade up" in the skills section. Lyon does seem to like his inside mids to work outside as well and we did criticise "the round sporting item" ( He who ruins threads) for not being able to kick over a jam tin and are supposed to be targeting silky smooth players.

As for actual reason, we've mostly got no idea at all as to the why's.

It's the question everyone wants to know really, he hasn't been at the club all that long for home sickness I would have thought, he's 19 so still rather young to be considered failed, only thing I can think of is that they might be thinking with a supposed excess of inside mids this draft they might have an eye on a "trade up" in the skills section. Lyon does seem to like his inside mids to work outside as well and we did criticise "the round sporting item" ( He who ruins threads) for not being able to kick over a jam tin and are supposed to be targeting silky smooth players.

As for actual reason, we've mostly got no idea at all as to the why's.

Did he get on the park much at all this year? How did he go?

Liked his game at Casey Fields in his under 18 year, certainly looked a likely type..

What are his skills like? awareness?

Could you see him getting another go elsewhere?

Did he get on the park much at all this year? How did he go?

Liked his game at Casey Fields in his under 18 year, certainly looked a likely type..

What are his skills like? awareness?

Could you see him getting another go elsewhere?

I only saw him twice to comment on anything as matter of factly, he just looked a "likely sort" from what I saw, had a good head on him and didn't exactly stink it up or anything. Squizzy & Bourkey would probably be the men to answer specific questions on him with more accuracy but I'd be surprised if he wasn't picked up as a rookie, but then he did appear to miss a few games with injury so there might be something in that we simply don't know about.

I was more iffy on McGrath since he was at the function I attended whereas Hutchings wasn't so yeah.

I only saw him twice to comment on anything as matter of factly, he just looked a "likely sort" from what I saw, had a good head on him and didn't exactly stink it up or anything. Squizzy & Bourkey would probably be the men to answer specific questions on him with more accuracy but I'd be surprised if he wasn't picked up as a rookie, but then he did appear to miss a few games with injury so there might be something in that we simply don't know about.

I was more iffy on McGrath since he was at the function I attended whereas Hutchings wasn't so yeah.

Ok, thanks buddy, will get onto them..

Cheers :thumbsu:

Was Lenny a Veterin "inside" the list last year. If one of the veterins is moved outside the list ( in Leu of a rookie position ) thats another position on the main list we can get.

Then we would have outs: 1 veterin, 1 S***head, Smith, King and Pattison.
That would give us four picks.
Thats all we would need. Three picks in the draft and one in the pre-season maybe.

I think we currently have 36 listed players.
With two veterans we are allowed to have up to 40 listed players ( but less rookies ).
So I'm expecting four new players on the senior list, and I wouldn't expect any more de-listings.
Does that four factor in elevating Tom Simpkin? Hopefully we can keep Gaertner on the rookie list for a third year, he's not ready but I don't want to lose him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back