Departing players and Best n Fairests

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Been some interesting examples last few days of players leaving under Free Agency and how that's played out at BnFs.

Obviously these can be sensitive occasions and each players circumstance is different.

We've seen Barrass acknowledge this sensitivity but then use the ocassion at the Eagles BnF to acknowledge all the support he received at the club and the bonds he has formed with the playing group and in doing so, probably going a long way to ensuring an amicable departure.

Then we've seen St Kilda take a different approach and ban Battle from actually attending the awards night. They would have their reasons and possibly Battle may not have been upfront about his intentions. But even still in this day of Free Agency you wonder if clubs should try and acknowledge the contributions of all their employees.

And then at Richmond where the departing Baker and Bolton give underwhelming speeches at the Jack Dyer. I get not everyone is an orator but you'd think they'd sense the significance of the moment and at least make the effort to prepare a speech to show their appreciation for what the club has offered them.

At the end of the day, football clubs are organisations and players employees. How they handle departures is probably no better or worse than in some of the workplaces I've been at.

Nice troll. Reality is not everyone is comfortable with public speaking. I mean look at Scotts pressers at Geelong. Awkward, arrogant at times, but I'm sure he's a heck of a guy behind the scenes.

Nice troll. Reality is not everyone is comfortable with public speaking. I mean look at Scotts pressers at Geelong. Awkward, arrogant at times, but I'm sure he's a heck of a guy behind the scenes.
Agree -as acknowledged above.

It's not everyone's cup of tea. At the same time you can prepare if it's important. They have player managers etc.

At least Richmond encouraged them to attend and acknowledged their contribution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Departing players and Best n Fairests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back