Dermott Brereton - a hypocrit and a goose

Remove this Banner Ad

Just fix the rule, the players are paid to get every advantage they can under the rules, umpires pay it so they do it.

Pay obvious and blatant high tackles and nothing more.

And I wish GFC supporters would stop trying to defend Joel, he does look for high contact and thats a fact. So do a lot of players and there are players in every team who do it. Its not a thing one team does and another team doesnt, they all do it because the umpires reward it.

The umpiring in Eagles games in WA is a disgrace and has been for years, the only good thing about it is when they come over here for a final and look bewildered when those frees rightly dont get paid in a final.

On a side note, did I see a free kick awarded AGAINST Dean Cox in the ruck last night? Nearly fell off my couch.

I bet it wasn't paid inside North's forward line, like so many of WCE's are.

His criticism should be aimed at the AFL and Gieschen, not the Selwoods/WC.

All the players are doing is exploiting the loop hole created by the AFL's protect the head at any cost agenda. Stop paying the frees for players that blatantly drop the knees or duck into tackles (like it used to be) and the problem would be solved.

The players aren't the problem, the AFL is.

As long as I have watched footy, umps have paid a free kick for high tackles when they bend the knees. James Hird used to be a master of it.

They don't pay free kicks if they bend at the waist and dop the head forward, still don't.

For all the kerfuffle over one free kick - I'm sure they pointed out the others that were wrong throughout the game. I mean - one kick decided it right??? I mean boomer wasn't gifted one to start the match was he?

Fact is, mate, that WCE gets the 50/50 umpiring decisions 9 times out of 10.

that sounds like an opinion, not a fact. maaaaate.

the rest of your post is hilarious. just another thing to give me a nice smile on a saturday morning after watching my team have a win.

Either the umps are stupid, or you guys are paying them.

Show me a game where WCE lost a game at Subiaco by less than a goal as a direct result of a free kick. No, I can't remember one, either.

But then, WCE get looked after the tribunal as well. From John Worsfold never getting cited for breaking Richard Osborne's cheekbone in a State game, to Kennedy not getting rubbed out for breaking Colin Sylvia's jaw in a practice game, the Eagles have the protection of the umps, the judiciary and the AFL.
Well there was the Derby recently when Ballantyne was paid a free, ran in off his line after the siren and kicked a......oh yeah, that's right, it hit the post and the Dockers lost. Still not our fault he couldn't convert!

Going back to tribunal decisions from last century just shows you know how to hold a grudge mate, it was a different game back then!

We also had McGinnity who's jaw was broken in a NAB Cup match a couple of years ago by Maxwell. He never received a punishment either, sometimes you get hurt when you play football and you just have to suck it up.

Either the umps are stupid, or you guys are paying them.

Show me a game where WCE lost a game at Subiaco by less than a goal as a direct result of a free kick. No, I can't remember one, either.

But then, WCE get looked after the tribunal as well. From John Worsfold never getting cited for breaking Richard Osborne's cheekbone in a State game, to Kennedy not getting rubbed out for breaking Colin Sylvia's jaw in a practice game, the Eagles have the protection of the umps, the judiciary and the AFL.

Balancer for making us host finals in Melbourne.

Brereton is an idiot, last week he carries on like a child about Goodes is a coward for going feet first and not having the courage to put his head over the ball.

This week he's complaining that the three Selwood brothers and Shuey get too many frees, all of these players in every game consistently bend over and put their heads over the ball and hence draw more free then players who don't have the courage to "take the hit".

So Dermie exactly which way do you want a player to play???

Feet first or put their head over the ball and take the hits?

Brereton is and was an absolute goose last week and last night after the game:thumbsdown:

As for the Vic media with their pre written scripts and stats about head high frees what a bunch of chumps. One article states that Shuey's questionable free resulted in a goal. Well he actually duffed the kick and didn't even score.:cool: But lets not let the truth get in the way of a good.....I mean crap story.

The Selwood tackle initially was high but not paid, obvious as day but not paid. Then the second one which was paid no camera angle showed exactly what really happened but the umpire was 3m away with a clear view of it. But Brereton and Eddie were frothing at the mouth reaching for their pre written scripts on Selwoods and head high frees.

The blatant bias commentary from Dermie and Eddie was sickening to listen to..........luckily they kept replaying the Naitanui mark and goal cos that was worth talking about.
So let's see if I've got this... Your contention is players have a choice of either going into a contest feet first like Adam Goodes does and tripping their opponents, or going into a contest, putting their head over the ball and ducking/staging for a free kick? Nothing in between?

In the Goodes scenario, Brereton is criticising Goodes for dangerous play that can injure opponents.
In the second scenario, Brereton is criticising umpires for rewarding players with unwarranted free kicks. He reckons it should be play on.

You can't see the difference? And you're calling Dermott Brereton the idiot ?

Sounds to me like you're really annoyed by commentators who point out the unwarranted "high contact" free kicks that a couple of the West Coast boys are good at milking. You could turn the volume down on your television if the commentary gets too annoying. Or you could write a letter to Selwood, Shuey and Hams and ask them to stop ducking their heads because it's upsetting the amount of criticism they get. Or you could start a thread about what a ******** Brereton is on the Fourth Estate Board.

So many choices.

I watched it live and saw the same as everyone in the media seemed to see. Another WC player acting up a free kick in one way or another. Derm is the one that made the initial statement about it but he is sure not alone on his thoughts. Is everyone a goose too? If not then maybe he has a point.

Wow, watched it live. And what angle did you see the two frees Dermie was bleating on about.

The Shuey free was in the back, Ziebell was horizontal to the ground and literally landed on him / across his back.

The Selwood free the video is a blind angle but the umpire had a clear view 3 m away.

So where exactly were you sitting that got you a better view?

The media already had their script written and Dermie had stats ready to quote. They had their minds made up before the game and crapped on about two frees that were called in the last 2 minutes of the game. One was an obvious free and the other we have no clear camera angle but the umpire had a clear view from 3 m away.

But its the Eagles and Shuey and Selwood must be cheating every time they get a free.

That's the issue here. And yes Dermie is a goose. He bags out Goodes and then bags out players for putting their head over the ball. All of those top 6 player who get head high frees are inside / grunt mids who are prepared to cop it high. Brereton never put his head over the ball as a player, he was too busy belting blokes and fluffing up his perm.

Dermott thinks that players should put their head over their ball, but not stage for free kicks. I don't see the problem with his comments.

Dermott thinks that players should put their head over their ball, but not stage for free kicks. I don't see the problem with his comments.

A player who puts their head over the ball is more likely to get a free than a player waving their hand in the air out in the open on the wing or a CHF with an out of control perm with an ego bigger than the game itself.

He has a go at Adam Selwood and Shuey about free's that were perfectly legit. Selwood should have been paid over the shoulder for the first contact made but wasn't, he got a free for high contact after he'd already been tackled to the ground with two more Norths players piling on. So even though he did nothing wrong in that instance it didn't stop Dermit "playing the man not the ball".

But that's been his style all his life really so he is consistent I must say.:thumbsdown:

If Eddie and Dermie want to push their agenda that's fine, just find a free that actually backs up their point of view. The two they carried on about, one was fair as Ziebell clearly landed in Shuey's back, the second no one has a good camera angle on but the umpire had a clear view of 3m away and the obvious legitimate head high free was missed.

Epic fail. It simply shows that Dermie and Eddie were grinding an axe and doing it without much of a clue = goose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there was the Derby recently when Ballantyne was paid a free, ran in off his line after the siren and kicked a......oh yeah, that's right, it hit the post and the Dockers lost. Still not our fault he couldn't convert!

Going back to tribunal decisions from last century just shows you know how to hold a grudge mate, it was a different game back then!

We also had McGinnity who's jaw was broken in a NAB Cup match a couple of years ago by Maxwell. He never received a punishment either, sometimes you get hurt when you play football and you just have to suck it up.

When John Worsfold smashed Richard Osborne's jaw with his fist in a State-Of-Origin game many years ago, and didn't even get cited, then I though that the Tribunal cannot charge any player for any offence ever.

John Worsfold was a thug as a player, yet never seemed to get brought to the tribunal, so pardon me if it seems you get rubbed out if you hit a WCE player, but if you play for WCE and hit someone, you get a medal.

I dunno about thug of a player catman, he was courageous, tough and if he got the chance to line someone up, he would never hesitate. That was the way footy was played in the 80's and 90's.

Yet most players, even in the 80's, got rubbed out for lining someone up like Worsfold did. Dermott himself got done for the same things that Worsfold got away with.

Brereton is the epitome of thug mate, at least Worsfold played within the line on most occasions.

Brereton kneed a bloke in the nuts deliberately, stood on a players face, studs and all, broke how many jaws and noses? He deserved everything he got by the tribunal and it's no surprise their were bush thugs waiting to get a crack at him when he gave local footy a try. He didn't last very long and decided the media was the safest place to earn some money.

Brereton is the epitome of thug mate, at least Worsfold played within the line on most occasions.

Brereton kneed a bloke in the nuts deliberately, stood on a players face, studs and all, broke how many jaws and noses? He deserved everything he got by the tribunal and it's no surprise their were bush thugs waiting to get a crack at him when he gave local footy a try. He didn't last very long and decided the media was the safest place to earn some money.

I'm surprised you're defending Worsfold, considering how many West Coast players have hit Geelong players and got away with it.

What about the player who tunnelled Tom Hawkins while he was taking a screamer in 2012? Hawkins was knocked out and didn't return to the ground, (and it wouldn't surprise me if this started his back problems), yet the WCE player who did it got away with it. If we did it to one of their players, the Cats player would have got weeks.

The tribunal and the umpires favor the Eagles (at home), and you all know it.

I'm surprised you're defending Worsfold, considering how many West Coast players have hit Geelong players and got away with it.

What about the player who tunnelled Tom Hawkins while he was taking a screamer in 2012? Hawkins was knocked out and didn't return to the ground, (and it wouldn't surprise me if this started his back problems), yet the WCE player who did it got away with it. If we did it to one of their players, the Cats player would have got weeks.

The tribunal and the umpires favor the Eagles (at home), and you all know it.

Conspiracy theories board.

Oh, we should believe WCE supporters who say that their team aren't favoured or thugs.

Just worry about getting your team back up the ladder.

Why would I worry about getting them back up the ladder? I'm not a player or a coach.
I guess it still burns some Geelong supporters that we belted you in 92 and 94.

You seem to be deluded to the point that you believe todays game is the same as the 80s and 90s. Back then the hard knocks were part of the game and every single team had players that were tougher than others and harder. Todays game no longer allows that.

You are in la la land if you think Geelong were never tough at it and sometimes roughed players up.

Explain to me how we are favoured by the umps? You'll no doubt say ducking but ignore the fact that Geelongs captain wins more free than anyone.

Why would I worry about getting them back up the ladder? I'm not a player or a coach.
I guess it still burns some Geelong supporters that we belted you in 92 and 94.

You seem to be deluded to the point that you believe todays game is the same as the 80s and 90s. Back then the hard knocks were part of the game and every single team had players that were tougher than others and harder. Todays game no longer allows that.

You are in la la land if you think Geelong were never tough at it and sometimes roughed players up.

Explain to me how we are favoured by the umps? You'll no doubt say ducking but ignore the fact that Geelongs captain wins more free than anyone.

it was a diff game back then. one we all enjoyed. players would snipe, bash, verbally abuse and physically intimidate opponents to gain advantage.

different story now.

it was a diff game back then. one we all enjoyed. players would snipe, bash, verbally abuse and physically intimidate opponents to gain advantage.

different story now.

You and I and most others know this.

That was pretty funny. I was hoping he'd keep playing. Don't think his ego was ever going to comfortably handle that somehow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermott Brereton - a hypocrit and a goose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back