Dermott Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

"He's, what, 195-196cm, probably pushing 100kgs but gee he's a good kick for goal."

Anyone else noticed that he just automatically assumes that every ruckman that hasn't been an AA is an atrocious kick/set shot?

And not sure if I'm on my own here, but does anyone else listen to Brereton talk about a past or present footballer and assure us that 'He's an absolutely ripping bloke' or something similar and immediately think 'Well, that player must be a complete tosser, then'?

It's so, so, so sad to see how many people actually think he knows anything about the modern game.
If you do some research on Dermott Brereton you might of been a little too young to know what Dermie actually did apart from him getting reported and rubbed out.
He's smarter than what you think he might be.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dermott+Brereton
You're lucky that you have plenty of helpers willing to pull their fingers out and help you do the research. Anyone who has won more than 5 day premierships and 5 night premierships has got every right to be able to give off their opinions and advice.
In fact the knowledge he has of the game was taught to him by some legendary coaches in particular the Late Alan Jeans. I strongly suggest you look up at how many games and goals he has kicked and played before you go any further.
In fact if you post on fox footy's forum which is called the crowd you will find derm on there frequently posting up his stuff. People often give him a mouthful of rubbish but he's only giving out advice to those that need it.
Sure he's a controversial character but so is Buddy franklin.

Oh and go and read his book.

If you do some research on Dermott Brereton you might of been a little too young to know what Dermie actually did apart from him getting reported and rubbed out.

Hmmm...nah, I reckon I've got him pegged about right.

The 'five night' thing is always good for a chuckle, too. I wonder how many people would even know which years he won a night premiership, without looking it up. I bet even Hawthorn supporters struggle to remember.

Fits into the Malcolm Blight box for me - he speaks a lot of rubbish but at least he often says something that you'd never have thought of. Sometimes it's madness, others it's mad genius (moreso in Blight's case). Rather it over a Darcy/Shaw type.
Add Harley to Darcy/Shaw and you have summed it up to perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dermott Brereton
You're lucky that you have plenty of helpers willing to pull their fingers out and help you do the research. Anyone who has won more than 5 day premierships and 5 night premierships has got every right to be able to give off their opinions and advice.
In fact the knowledge he has of the game was taught to him by some legendary coaches in particular the Late Alan Jeans. I strongly suggest you look up at how many games and goals he has kicked and played before you go any further.
In fact if you post on fox footy's forum which is called the crowd you will find derm on there frequently posting up his stuff. People often give him a mouthful of rubbish but he's only giving out advice to those that need it.
Sure he's a controversial character but so is Buddy franklin.

Oh and go and read his book.

Nice try Derm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Derm but can he please stop labelling North Melbourne players lazy and selfish. Don't know if you caught a bit of his article but he's called Boomer selfish and Nick Dal Santo lazy.
I would love to see Dermie try and chase down Boomer as boomer is having a shot at goal. When a 36 year old who is so close to playing 400 AFL games you do not have the license to go and label him selfish.
Until Derm realises this I'm sure that Brad Scott will be onto the phone to Dermott and giving him a well calculated spray.

What about last Sunday night when he was saying that players giving love-taps to the guts and so on has to be eradicated from the game. This coming from the biggest thug to ever step on the field.

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed that he just automatically assumes that every ruckman that hasn't been an AA is an atrocious kick/set shot?

Did it tonight. Clarke scrubbed it off the side off his boot after weaving through three opponents, Derm says '... and then he kicks it like Zac Clarke!', even though Clarke's actually a pretty good kick.

I think he actually has some interesting insights to offer, he makes a bit of a rod for his own back with his loquaciousness, it can grate occasionally.

Would take him over Alastair Lynch, Tony Shaw and some others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermott Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back