Detailed historical stats are being added

Remove this Banner Ad

Great work!

I'm flat out at work, so only the second half of '73 is done at this point. Next two weeks don't look too bad, so hopefully will be done in a fortnight or so.

Ah, if only they went back that far. I wouldn't mind seeing the stats from South's early premierships.

Unfortunately, I think 65 is as far back as they go.

Maybe it's best to drag them out, because it'll be a sad day when we can't go back any further.

Then again, I never expected we would go back this far (if I'd known, I wouldn't have spent 50-odd hours at the State library going through microfilm newspapers to get Swans stats from the '70s and '80s). It's amazing to have such a comprehensive database.

Ah, if only they went back that far. I wouldn't mind seeing the stats from South's early premierships.

Unfortunately, I think 65 is as far back as they go.

Maybe it's best to drag them out, because it'll be a sad day when we can't go back any further.

Then again, I never expected we would go back this far (if I'd known, I wouldn't have spent 50-odd hours at the State library going through microfilm newspapers to get Swans stats from the '70s and '80s). It's amazing to have such a comprehensive database.

And with that, we thank Paul for the website and RLeague for providing the domain name.

This is as close the VFL/AFL will get to Cricinfo.

Ray Young (alongside Harry Beitzel) of Footy Week started compiling the full stats from Rd1 1965. That's as far back as it goes in terms of every-game every week stats.

But stats for significant games were complied as far back as the 1930s. We're trawling through the old archives of the Sporting Globe, for example, and have found that most Grand Finals had the basic stats recorded (kicks, marks, goals, behinds, frees for, frees against, kicks to teammates), and handballs for the later period. Also, in the 1930s a fellow called Dave Stewart would attend one game per week and collate similar stats (see attached).

I've also read that a group of uni students followed Haydn Bunton around for the year in the mid-1930s and collected his complete match stats. I haven't found those records yet but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

Attachments

• CarlvsColl-June1936.JPG
    CarlvsColl-June1936.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 11

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm dying to know if the missing rounds are going to be available at some point - whether they got missed or are missing from the source. I think Jayzel is waiting on your word, Paul...

I've also read that a group of uni students followed Haydn Bunton around for the year in the mid-1930s and collected his complete match stats. I haven't found those records yet but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

An excerpt from Bunton's biography by Chris Donald (2003)
Pages 116-117:

"The Star (newspaper) published Bunton's 1935 season statistics, which showed he had possession of the ball 598 times from 147 marks, 71 free kicks and 380 in general play. He kicked 41 goals, 29 behinds, missed the goals nine times, and had shots at goal, marked or cleared 47 times. He also gave off 116 handpasses, 131 foot passes and had 225 other kicks. This was an average of 28 kicks and 35 disposals per game in his 17 games for 1935."

Individual game stats for Bunton as published in the biography are:

45 kicks vs. Footscray, Round 3, 1935, Western Oval
44 kicks vs. North Melbourne, Round 4, 1935, Brunswick St
43 kicks vs. St. Kilda, Round 1, 1935, Junction Oval
42 kicks vs. Footscray, Round 14, 1935, Brunswick St
35 kicks vs. Footscray, Round 2, 1932, Western Oval
35 kicks vs. Geelong, Round 5, 1932, Brunswick St
28 kicks vs. Collingwood, Round 13, 1933, Victoria Park (plus 12 marks)
26 kicks vs. Geelong, Round 16, 1933, Brunswick St (plus 9 marks)
26 kicks vs. Richmond, Round 18, 1933, Punt Road (plus 13 marks)
24 kicks vs. South Melbourne, Round 9, 1933, Brunswick St, (plus 6 marks)
20 kicks vs. Hawthorn, Round 8, 1933, Glenferrie (plus 8 marks)

An excerpt from Bunton's biography by Chris Donald (2003)
Pages 116-117:

"The Star (newspaper) published Bunton's 1935 season statistics, which showed he had possession of the ball 598 times from 147 marks, 71 free kicks and 380 in general play. He kicked 41 goals, 29 behinds, missed the goals nine times, and had shots at goal, marked or cleared 47 times. He also gave off 116 handpasses, 131 foot passes and had 225 other kicks. This was an average of 28 kicks and 35 disposals per game in his 17 games for 1935."
This is great stuff worbod. Are there season stats from any other Year?

There are no other season stats printed in the biography. I decided to print every stat I could find in my previous post, both relating to Bunton's achievements in a season or in a game. There was actually one other game for Victoria in 1931 where the author states Bunton took 14 marks, and in 1939 for WA versus Vic he had 16 kicks, but that's it. Bunton is also reported to have had 60 kicks for Subiaco in one game in 1939, but there is no mention of this in the book. It would be good to see whether the Melbourne State Library have a copy of the 1935 Star newspaper on microfilm, as it may possibly give game by game details.

It may also be of interest to note that Chris Donald (the author) has listed a game by game account of Bunton's Brownlow votes for 1931. Not sure from where he has obtained this info, though he does quote excerpts from The Sporting Globe regularly during the 1931 chapter. It does make for interesting reading to see how Bunton would have won the Brownlow that season. By the end of round 7, he only had one vote, and then stormed home.

Round 2: 1
Round 8: 2
Round 9: 1
Round 10: 2
Round 12: 3
Round 13: 3
Round 14: 3
Round 15: 2
Round 16: 3
Round 17: 3
Round 18: 3

This may assist *Paul* in being able to add this data into his Brownlow section. There are no other round by round vote breakdowns given in the book, but Donald does also mention that in 1932 Bunton received 3 votes 5 times, 2 votes 2 times and 1 vote 4 times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Detailed historical stats are being added

Remove this Banner Ad

Back