Senior Deven Robertson (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid-Season Re-cap

BIG IMPROVERS

After making his debut in Round 1 last year Deven Robertson had to wait one year and 10 days through a world-wide pandemic to play his second game. But he made every day count and since getting back into the side he’s been a standout, averaging 14.6 possessions and 5.9 tackles to provide valuable midfield support.

The knock on Dev in his draft year was his disposal. I think it needs to be remembered that he averaged 30 disposals and was the B and F at the national champs. This kid is developing very well. There were two kicks last night one in the third and fourth that were entries into the forward 50 and were top level. He seriously reminds me of Rory Sloan. Get on board people!

On board and quickly becoming a fan favourite. Hard at it and is blossoming rapidly.
Hard to believe he's in his 2nd season

Yeah his kicking is no worse than many other high quality mids. Hell, look at Dangerfields kicking.

Dev will never have the bullet-like penetration that high end mids do, but he has so many other weapons. His ability to read the play, win the footy and be a one touch player is showing more and more. His ability to read the trajectory of kicks, get into position and mark is of a very high standard.

Lions' young bull rewarded for Selwood job with Rising Star nom

DEVEN Robertson has received the round 15 NAB AFL Rising Star for his efforts in the Lions' 44-point mauling of the Cats.

Robertson amassed 16 disposals, 20 pressure acts, two goal assists and four tackles, all the while keeping Geelong captain Joel Selwood to just 13 touches on Thursday night.

Robertson's nomination is the first for the Lions this year, and comes amid a breakout season for the young midfielder.

After playing just the one game in his debut season, Robertson has been a consistent feature in Brisbane's side since round six this year.

Yeah his kicking is no worse than many other high quality mids. Hell, look at Dangerfields kicking.

Dev will never have the bullet-like penetration that high end mids do, but he has so many other weapons. His ability to read the play, win the footy and be a one touch player is showing more and more. His ability to read the trajectory of kicks, get into position and mark is of a very high standard.

Low Long passes are pretty high risk. I reckon once he feels like he has cemented his spot, you will see his full repertoire.

One thing is for sure the boy can play footy and his attack on the man and footy is top notch for a fella that is in his second year.

I think his awareness in the contest is really food as well. Plenty to work with. At worst he's going to be a 10 year midfielder that does all the tough stuff and makes others look good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2021 Season Review: Robertson & Prior

They played their underage rep footy alongside each other, were drafted to the Lions together and in 2021 Deven Robertson and Jaxon Prior continued their parallel journeys by becoming regulars in Chris Fagan’s senior side.

Robertson debuted in Rd 1, 2020 but it remained his only AFL game for the season.

However, in his second year at the Club he played 16 games floating through the midfield and spending time out on the wing.

His breakout game came in a bruising encounter against Carlton at Marvel Stadium in Rd 6.

It was a game many remember for the loss of Darcy Gardiner to a concussion, the extreme act of courage from Mitch Robinson that saw the veteran winger require a set of staples in the head to stem the flow of bleeding, or Brownlow medalist Lachie Neale playing through an ankle injury that would eventually rule him out for six matches.

Amidst the carnage the teenager showed he could handle the tough stuff as he stunned the Blues with an 18 possession, six tackle and two goal performance.

His 19 disposal effort against GWS and another 18 touches in the Q Clash with the Suns were his other most productive games.

However, it was his competitiveness and tackling ferocity that signaled he was a player of the future as he twice recorded eight or more tackles in a game.

Season Averages

Deven Robertson

Disposals - 13.1

Kicks - 6.9

Handballs - 6.3

Marks - 3.3

Tackles - 4.2

Coleman Sidelined For Extended Stint

He said it was more a precautionary measure for Robertson who was back on the track today.

“We got Dev scanned also and it was more of a neural lower back awareness and tightness, we weren’t willing to take a risk,’’ he said.

“He trained today, and we expect him to be back next week.’’

Match Report: Lions Topple Giants

Robertson grabs his chance

The hamstring injury suffered by Hugh McCluggage opened the door for Robertson – and the young West Australian grabbed the opportunity with both hands. The third-year midfielder was one of the catalysts for changing the momentum during the first term, crashing bodies around stoppages and winning his own ball against the tide. Robertson kicked a goal in the second quarter and topped it with an even better effort in the third, blind turning into space and snapping from close range. The 20-year-old finished with 17 disposals and two goals and will be difficult to drop next week.

VFL Lions Down Dogs in the Wet

Dev Robertson and Mitch Robinson showcased their pressure around the contest and composure in front of goal to see the Lions on their way to victory. The pair finished with nine and six tackles respectively, while also managing to find a goal each.

Brisbane Lions Make it Five Straight

Tom Berry gave his forwards plenty of opportunity with 10 inside 50’s, while fellow midfielder Dev Robertson was clinical at the stoppage, laying eight tackles and racking up seven clearances from 29 disposals.

'Stay ready': Young Lion grabs his opportunity in Gabba cauldron

Deven-Robertson-celebrates-a-goal-during-the-elimination-final-between-Brisbane-and-Richmond-at-the-Gabba-on-September-1-2022.JPG

TWO simple words were running through Deven Robertson's head while he was plying his trade in the VFL – stay ready.

The young Brisbane midfielder had played just four senior games this season – and none since round 15 – before being pitch-forked into the cauldron of Thursday night's elimination final against Richmond.

And he didn't let coach Chris Fagan or his Lions teammates down.

With Jarryd Lyons (groin) missing, Robertson was assigned the task of quietening the Tigers' best midfielder, Dion Prestia, which he did admirably for most of the first half before the triple premiership ball-winner had a late flurry prior to injuring his hamstring.

Robertson was then shifted to Trent Cotchin in the second half. Again, job done.

The 21-year-old finished with 12 disposals and a timely third-quarter goal, but his impact went way beyond his statistics.

Deven-Robertson-celebrates-after-kicking-a-goal-during-the-elimination-final-between-Brisbane-and-Richmond-at-the-Gabba-on-September-1-2022.jpg

His defensive intensity, which resulted in a team-high 24 pressure acts, stood out.

"He's a dogged competitor … I thought he did a great job," a beaming Fagan said following the nail-biting two-point triumph.

"He's a high-quality human being, Dev Robertson, and I was pretty sure he'd get it done and I'm really pleased for him he was able to."

Robertson had a similar experience last year, where he was dropped for the final month of the season and then reinstated for the semi-final against the Western Bulldogs.

He told AFL.com.au he'd learnt from that experience, along with watching some teammates at the lower level.

"I knew first-hand I just had to stay ready because opportunities can come," Robertson said.

"I was plugging away in the VFL … I was trying to be as ready as I could.

"You see Rhys (Mathieson) dominating VFL and coming in and playing really well.

"'Motty' (Darcy Wilmot) has been playing well all year and gets his chance and plays well.

"It's all about staying ready and doing as much as you can, even though you could be disappointed you're not getting a game, just working on your craft in the VFL and doing the best you can."

Robertson described the win as one of the best feelings he's ever had.

With Lyons possibly available for next weekend's semi-final, and Cam Rayner back from suspension, spots are tight, but the West Australian has shown he's made for September.

VFL Wrap: From Slow Starters to Toppling the Leagues Best

He was joined in the engine room by Dev Robertson, who continued to showcase his physicality around the contest in another strong season.

Robertson played a crucial role in the Lions Round 22 win over Casey, collecting three goals, 30 disposals, five marks, six tackles and five clearances before following Mathieson in receiving a call-up to the AFL side for Finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back