Dick Caine

Remove this Banner Ad

jason_recliner

Premiership Player
Dec 9, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Case has been building long enough that Caine deserves his own thread.

Australian swim coach Dick Caine charged with further sexual abuse offences

Sydney swim coach Richard "Dick" Caine has been charged with more historical sexual assault offences after another alleged victim came forward to police.

Today, Mr Caine was due to appear before Downing Centre Local Court on fresh charges, including four counts of committing an act of indecency against a female aged between 13 and 15 yo and two sexual assault charges.

Here's some background on the closed in 2019 Kogarah War Memorial Pool at Carss Park outdoor swimming pool Caine leased/managed for 46 years until July 2017.

'The Kogarah War Memorial Pool was opened on 1 October 1966 and Mr Dick Caine was awarded the lease of the pool (including maintenance responsibilities) from Kogarah Council in 1971. It remained under Mr Caine’s management until July 2017. Council did not renew the lease in July 2017 due to concerns about the condition of the facility. Georges River Council took on responsibility for the full management and day-to-day operation of the facility in July 2017.

Georges River Council closed the Kogarah War Memorial Pool on Tuesday 23 July 2019. This followed investigation of environmental damage caused by the pool discharge and leaking of water into the Georges River. '

Here's some background on the closed in 2019 Kogarah War Memorial Pool at Carss Park outdoor swimming pool Caine leased/managed for 46 years until July 2017.

'The Kogarah War Memorial Pool was opened on 1 October 1966 and Mr Dick Caine was awarded the lease of the pool (including maintenance responsibilities) from Kogarah Council in 1971. It remained under Mr Caine’s management until July 2017. Council did not renew the lease in July 2017 due to concerns about the condition of the facility. Georges River Council took on responsibility for the full management and day-to-day operation of the facility in July 2017.

Georges River Council closed the Kogarah War Memorial Pool on Tuesday 23 July 2019. This followed investigation of environmental damage caused by the pool discharge and leaking of water into the Georges River. '

You missed the Council extended the lease in 2015. The due diligence at that point would be central to any claim against the lessee less than 2 years later.

'Child sex charges mount against Olympic swim coach Dick Caine'

'December 15, 2022 - 12:27PM'

'The list of historic child abuse allegations against elite swim coach Dick Caine is steadily growing, with police now laying a fourth set of charges against the swimming great.'

'Caine has been charged with a further 13 offences'

'The case will return to court in February for further mention.'

Guilty on all charges, and the non-publication order on the Judge only court case has been lifted.

'August 28, 2024 — 2.19pm'

'The 78-year-old did not appear for a single day of his lengthy judge-alone special hearing in Sydney’s Downing Centre District Court after he was previously deemed unfit to face a criminal trial due to health reasons.

The court heard on Wednesday that Caine was in palliative care in hospital.

Delivering his long-awaited judgment, Judge Paul McGuire found “on the limited evidence available, the accused committed the offence charged” on all 39 counts against all six victims, some of whom attended court and welcomed the outcome as “closure”.'

Having met and chatted to Dick once at his Carss Park pool shortly in its last years of being open, when I was virtually the only other patron swimming there,
(I occasionally swam there, likewise family at some school swim carnivals),
I don't recall much about him or what we chatted about.
Devasting for all of his victims and his families.
At least some form of justice is being served, albeit decades too late.

Currently the top of the page article on the SMH online.

Having met and chatted to Dick once at his Carss Park pool shortly in its last years of being open, when I was virtually the only other patron swimming there,
(I occasionally swam there, likewise family at some school swim carnivals),
I don't recall much about him or what we chatted about.
Devasting for all of his victims and his families.
At least some form of justice is being served, albeit decades too late.

Currently the top of the page article on the SMH online.
Sickening to think schools were having swimming carnivals at his pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dick Caine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back