Did we lose this at the selection table?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say we lost the match because of our efficiency going forward - think the commentators said in the first quarter we had far more inside 50s than they did, yet whenever they went into their forward 50 they scored

Need to kick goals not behinds

As Kingy46 mentioned, the move to throw Edwards back as a loose man didn't make sense to me. They have done this previously with Vickery as well. I'd prefer to see lids or someone that is capable in the air but will give more run when the ball hits the deck. also, moving a tall alters our structure. Edwards back allowed them to have one free down back also. They made that player a runner and it worked to their advantage.

Betts smashed Morris. We really had no one to throw on him as plan B. I love Morris' attack on the footy but Diving into a contest when your out of position may be brave but all your doing is losing your feet. Morris needs to think his way through the contest rather than just throw himself at everything. Don't get me wrong, I love him in the side. He has been great in a position we have struggled to fill for years. I just hope he continues to refine his game.

I would say it may have been that ludicrous sub rule that the AFL, in their infinite wisdom, have enforced, but in reality we simply got torched in the clearances - that's what cost us the game.

I was horribly nervous all week about the game, I was manic during the game, and I was surprisingly philosophical after the game - today reality has really kicked in hard and I've just deleted every single footy related show from my iQ and unlinked all my footy related series links - I couldnt face watching the replay.

I'm as flat as a pancake and have zero interest in footy, other than the joy of watching Freo dismantle Hawthorn in the GF.

too many what ifs, and why didn't we pick him, and we shudda done this, not fit enough blah blah blah..

here is my take on yesterday:

conca injured oh shit, started well didnt capitalize, umps gave us a boost up early...

2nd half: judd, waite, gibbs and murphy got going and we only had cotch, AFTER 3/4 time our warriors in tuck, newy and king looked gone.. so did jack and dustin... jackson hobbling.... umps now giving carlton a good run.. front runners like garlett, betts and yarran exposing us...ITS ALL OVER...

king, morris, jack and sheds have been good in H/A but picked a bad day to play shockers

injuries no excuse, fair dinkum i thought judd needed a wheelchair just b4 1/2 time

carlton deserve praise, when we started to to struggle they got going, and in the end were much too good and it comes as no surprise to me that carltons best were all 28-30 year olds seasoned veterans - judd, waite, duigan compared to our best 3 in cotchin, vloss and bacher who are all under 25 and their best is yet to come. bad luck tiges, thanks for a year that very solid and something to build on:thumbsu:

I think we're really unfit and carrying injured players into finals is a lesson that we've learned

Judd was in the same boat injury-wise, and imo won the match for them in the third. I think it's a risk almost all coaches take, and it's very easy to criticise afterwards. Hardwick would've been crucified if he didn't run Reiwoldt etc.

Is it just me on has anyone else noticed that when sides get on a run against us the sillys do not ******* miss! They kick 'em out of their collective arses!! ...and the painful thing is that when your watching you just expect them to nail it....

We do not play tight enough and physically enough in the backline IMO apart from mid pressure. They tend to rely too much on covering space and not close enough to their men. To worried about how to run it out as well.

IMO Lids should not be in the backline but wing. If in backline should have been on Betts. With LIds and others marking ability on the wing, it lessens the need for run out of the backline like Freo who have a powerful marking midfield

Seriously Duigan outmarked him in a contest and kicked a goal. This is not on. To many guys like Robinson late simply will themselves to the ball to take a mark or in the ruck contest. We lack a lot of contestable ball smarts IMO at times and peripheral vision going forward. Tuck and Houli going forward did not look laterally bursting from the centre. Martin is a long way from being effective in the ruck IMO. Still learning the caper. He really should be half forward, move him to a wing so he can develop.

We seriously lack smart top end ruck rovers. Judd murdered us and Cotch cannot do it all!!

too many what ifs, and why didn't we pick him, and we shudda done this, not fit enough blah blah blah..

here is my take on yesterday:

conca injured oh shit, started well didnt capitalize, umps gave us a boost up early...

2nd half: judd, waite, gibbs and murphy got going and we only had cotch, AFTER 3/4 time our warriors in tuck, newy and king looked gone.. so did jack and dustin... jackson hobbling.... umps now giving carlton a good run.. front runners like garlett, betts and yarran exposing us...ITS ALL OVER...

king, morris, jack and sheds have been good in H/A but picked a bad day to play shockers

injuries no excuse, fair dinkum i thought judd needed a wheelchair just b4 1/2 time

carlton deserve praise, when we started to to struggle they got going, and in the end were much too good and it comes as no surprise to me that carltons best were all 28-30 year olds seasoned veterans - judd, waite, duigan compared to our best 3 in cotchin, vloss and bacher who are all under 25 and their best is yet to come. bad luck tiges, thanks for a year that very solid and something to build on:thumbsu:

Bacher was not in our best 3?? he butchered the ball going forward a few times!! Petterd easily in our best not that we had many!! V was clean and solid:thumbsu:, Cotch was good to:thumbsu:

Bacher was not in our best 3?? he butchered the ball going forward a few times!! Petterd easily in our best not that we had many!! V was clean and solid:thumbsu:, Cotch was good to:thumbsu:
fair enuff, i rated cotch our best then daylight, then vloss and more daylight then it was hard houli seemed to me to give a lot of run and keep his man quiet, agree petts was good after that jacko, mullet, lids were ok but their opponents were better. felt sorry for lids as 4 times duigan was in the right spot at the right time and kicks truly, he kicks 1.3 we prob win

fair enuff, i rated cotch our best then daylight, then vloss and more daylight then it was hard houli seemed to me to give a lot of run and keep his man quiet, agree petts was good after that jacko, mullet, lids were ok but their opponents were better. felt sorry for lids as 4 times duigan was in the right spot at the right time and kicks truly, he kicks 1.3 we prob win

honestly I do not know who is on who these days in the backline. Houli was on Betts at least once early, Grimes 2nd qtr, later Morris, Lids on Duigan at times later Grimes. Hardly seen Chaplin. Newie was back in the fray late.

Honestly we still have to sort out our backline IMO. Lids needs to go to the wing IMO unless there is a specific matchup, we need a CHB and McIntosh needs to hopefully have a crack in 2014.

I don't think our backline is settled though! we could do worse if didn't Docherty fall in our lap to!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

honestly I do not know who is on who these days in the backline. Houli was on Betts at least once early, Grimes 2nd qtr, later Morris, Lids on Duigan at times later Grimes. Hardly seen Chaplin. Newie was back in the fray late.

Honestly we still have to sort out our backline IMO. Lids needs to go to the wing IMO unless there is a specific matchup, we need a CHB and McIntosh needs to hopefully have a crack in 2014.

I don't think our backline is settled though! we could do worse if didn't Docherty fall in our lap to!
early on bach had a fair bit of yarran and carved him up, also had garlett and prob betts. but only when morris was resting. actually thought all our recycled in petts, houli, ivan, aaron, chaps and grigg were all good but not great. king, morris and sheds disappointed me the most all had stinkers.

early on bach had a fair bit of yarran and carved him up, also had garlett and prob betts. but only when morris was resting. actually thought all our recycled in petts, houli, ivan, aaron, chaps and grigg were all good but not great. king, morris and sheds disappointed me the most all had stinkers.

Houli I didn't see a lot of. So in terms of match ups wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. Maric was okay considering matchups, he got beaten but is supposed to given up against Kruezer and Warnock, you just hope we win out more in the other matchups. A Edwards was okay but I am not sure how JR up in the midfield away from the goal area where he is our biggest threat worked

Sheds did go missing, but generally we need a bit more impact from a lot of other guys IMO. For example Chaplin didn't do much, likewise King, Grigg didn't seem to do too much IMO, Martin was missing a little in second half, Newman injuried , Conca likewise. We lacked some quality decision makers with the ball in the middle and in the ruck IMO. That is why we need to get some smart ruck rovers in the guts at the ruck to make the biggest difference. Eg. if we had 22 V's we win the game but that isn't going to happen. Tuck didn't seem to do a lot for 3.5 qtrs, and we seemed to miss some smarts and energy in the centre and around the rucks at time IMO from our mids. Someone like Watson would make the world over difference IMO or even Barlow with clever decision making and positioning centrally. This is what we lack mostly IMO because when you have guys like sheds in the middle not making a impact it is very had to generate momentum! Some guys will be down but too many did too little IMO and didn't impose themselves on the match with ball in hand like V and Cotch. Whether that is a lack of class, or lack of contestability or both not sure.

Grigg was ok. I would have selected Foley for Shane Edwards in hindsight.
true but if foley played and we still got beat and foley was poor there would have been an uproar why sheds wasnt picked, footy is a funny game and somehow i feel if we had of fell over the line and won, everyone would be saying 'no changes'

I think Petterd was very good early, he and Edwards playing deep forward looked very threatening and should have kicked another two or three between them before half time. No problems with their output, like most of our players both went missing late but I certainly don't think Petterd's spot in the 22 should come under question.

My main annoyance from the game was our lack of accountability on Judd when they were getting the run on in the 3rd qtr. This should be obvious to blind freddy that he needs to be shut down immediately yet it didn't happen.

Morris and Rance had shockers, but have been great most of the year, just when they get beaten they seem to be beaten really badly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we lose this at the selection table?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back