pcara

Senior List
Apr 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I have been told that during the interview stages in the search of our new coach, the following occurred.As we all know it was a choice b/w Hardwick & Hinkley.

Hardwick-- promised 3 wins with a big cull of the list
Hinkley-- promised 8 wins without culling the list deeply.

Personally I do not care if we get any wins this season as the right man was appointed and is making the right decisions for the future.
Hinkley would have been another Wallace trying to make decisions that would have hurt us again long term.

Dimma is the man.:thumbsu:

I apologise if this has been covered previously.

Some coaches don't feel the need to change over an entire list, they recruit players that they can use for their particular gamestyles. Paul Roos is a great example of that, he recruited mediocre players from other teams, moulded them and now they are part of a Sydney side that just does not need to rebuild!

I do like however Dimma's approach for only 3 wins. He must of outlined in his interviewing process that winning is not what we have to focus on this year. It's game structure, player development and cultural change within the players and the administration.

I'm a big fan of Hardwick but I hear only but positive things for Hinkley and I'm sure he'll be a good/great coach in the future.

I am sure Hinkley would've been a good coach but Im glad we picked Hardwick. IMO RFC needed someone like Hardwick, who is eager to work with the young players and focus on the long term goals. Not take short cuts.

I don't believe a coach can promise a certain number of wins. All they can promise is that they will do all they can to build a list that will win another flag. That would include culling.

hardwick gave a similar outcome when he went for the essendon job & matty knights offered the hinkley version & knights got the gig !

need to ask ourselfs would we be pleased if we were in essendons position
personally i believe that we should of gone this path when wallace took over & we may of left our run too late.

in saying that i do like the new recruits we have picked up the last 2 years and will all depend on how well we can develope these kids & hope we can get another 5-6 more good kids to complete the rebuild of our list.

not sure pcar that it would have been quite as simple as that mate....part of DH overwhelming plan of course would have involved paring back the list as much as possible as we work toward our 11th flag. Sure retaining Browny and Bowden may have won us 1 or 2 more games and that is debatable however it would have stood in the way of collins and others firming their spots.

Im comfortable with dimma coz he has been involved in a 3 successful environments, thats really broard and diverse experience to draw on which should ultimately be pretty powerful

at this rate dimma would be lucky to get 3 wins in 3 seasons, the world wont stop to allow richmond to catch up. vfl sides would fancy their chances of knocking off the elite professional outfit like richmond

with goldcoast/gws coming the drafts wont be like before.

at this rate dimma would be lucky to get 3 wins in 3 seasons, the world wont stop to allow richmond to catch up. vfl sides would fancy their chances of knocking off the elite professional outfit like richmond

I've never really gone the man in here before but....... shut up idiot!!

First time poster long time reader but FFS you are an absolute spud/troll/flog. The crap you churn up on a constant basis amazes me. Hardwick is going about it in the best way possible and each on of his decisions has been the right one so far. Yes we dont have a win on the board but no-one should have expected it yet. In his first 3 weeks in the coaches box he has attempted to teach the kids a gameplan that takes them forward, even by leaving a the tall timber out of the forward line it is teaching them how to hit a leading target accurately once they perfect this then they can bomb it long to the contest with a KPF.
He has set the tone for the culture he expects by being the ultimate one handing out the suspensions to connors and Co. There is nothing wrong with the current state we are in as we are moving forward the team come round 11 will look completely different and will actually resemble something with a spine. The drafts will have little to no impact on us it is now up to how they develop the kids and they have more than enough time on there hands to develop the future of the club

well with the aforementioned sides coming in how do you figure that our ageing rivals will be in a position to extend the gap enstein:eek:....duh, didn't fink of dat:eek:

It's a little early to say who was the correct choice. All we need to do is give Dimma the time and support he needs and hope he was the right choice.

I have been told that during the interview stages in the search of our new coach, the following occurred.As we all know it was a choice b/w Hardwick & Hinkley.

Hardwick-- promised 3 wins with a big cull of the list
Hinkley-- promised 8 wins without culling the list deeply.

I'd be wary of any prospective coach that would actually 'promise' wins in that situation... sounds a bit more like the TW approach!

But if asked, if Hardwick responded with a win 3 & cull the list answer then that perhaps explains why he got the gig.

Far more realistic & cudos to the decision makers for seeing the correct path.

I have zero complaints about our choice... :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think it means we get the first 2 'live' picks which would be 4 and 6

Well as much as I hate the lose for draft pick set up that would not be a bad outcome. Especially when you consider that GC might pick needs rather than best available so you could potentially still net the second or third best of the draft.

hmm i will let you know at the end of this yrs nd if hes the man for the job.
so far hes done the easy bit has he the stomach for the real stuff.

if he is the man for the job half way thru next yr will be interesting, when we are quite possibly worse than we are now after culling another 8 to 12 from the list proper. i wonder if the ferals patience will go that far.

26 wouldn't be a bad extra pick to get. Especially since we finally seem to be getting our picks right. Nason at 71 is looking pretty good!

Thing that worries me is that haven't the top ten kids from this year's draft already been sent off to the Gold Coast? Swallow, Darling etc etc. So isn't pick 4 really pick 14?

Pretty sure we're eligible for pick 4 and the priority 6 if we finish last.

You'd be wrong.

Rule Changes

In the early 2000s, it became apparent that a team with reasonable prospects could have an isolated bad season through injury, and finish with five wins, 'inappropriately' earn a player-list boosting priority draft pick. This was deemed to be unfair since the initial raison d'etre of the priority picks was solely to help consistently poor teams to rebuild.
As a consequence, several changes were made to the rules in 2006:
* The Priority Round was shifted, so that it was held between the First and Second rounds of the draft.
* Teams would receive a Priority Selection only if they finished the season with fewer than 16.5 premiership points.
* If a team finished with fewer than 16.5 premiership points in two consecutive seasons, then their Priority Selection is taken before the First Round.

Source: Priority draft pick

We finished with 22 points last year, so will NOT be eligible for a first round priority pick this year, regardless of how many wins we have. Spluff is on the money here.

If we finish with less than 16.5 points this year, we will be eligible for a second round priority pick, I think it is 26 or 27.

If we finish with less than 16.5 points both this year AND next year, then we will get the first round priority pick in the next draft (thus probably picks 4 & 6 with GWS getting 1, 2, 3 & 5 - assuming we finish bottom next year).

Remove this Banner Ad

Dimma-- The correct choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back