Dinner at Silks

Remove this Banner Ad

THe problem with "blocs" is that each club has its own circumstances. Melbourne has been run by inept useless dimwits since the Norm Smith era. Chris Connelly heads the football department and while he is a fabulous filler of silence on the ABC, I would hate to have to sift the gold from all those words that come out of his mouth.

Last time I looked St. Kilda was seen to be a popular club so i dont know why it is struggling now. It lost a big opportunity when it let its last coach leave. I dont know if $50m is going to improve decision-making.

Western Bulldogs probably need assistance in promoting the game in the Western suburbs more than just more money. They got their improved training facilities. They have the same salary cap as the other sides. Do they expect to buy a premiership if they are given more money?

Port should never have been allowed into the league. It was the AFL that made that bad decision. Anyone with any brains would have realised that no one outside of the Port area would barrack for a pack of ferals. Well, they proved their point. They got a premiership. Now they should return to the SANFL and let the South Australians start up a genuine second South Australian side....

I could go on but you get the drift. Money wont solve any problems. It might bring the larger clubs back to the field....restrict their growth.....and maybe that's the true focus of these changes.

Most of them went the daily special of 'Roast Swan' by the sound of it!

Although one president was said to have complained loudly about the constant 'tinkering' with the wine list and the new cap on visits to the salad bar!!

It's actually a really interesting article. I think the big clubs have a legitimate gripe. I think the small clubs have a legitimate gripe. To me it all centres around two issues.

The AFL is tight arse in supporting the smaller clubs despite their enormous revenue stream and would rather take a cut from well run and fiscally sensible clubs like us instead of out of their own coffers.

Compounding this is the smaller clubs being completely bent over and taken for a ride with the Etihad deal. Until the inequity of that is addressed (and Port have similar limitations in Adelaide and see how they are faring) I don't see how they can compete in fairness.

Hawthorn was the only club providing anything like a sensible solution, as extreme as it was, in all of that debate. Good on them for identifying and recognising it.

It's actually a really interesting article. I think the big clubs have a legitimate gripe. I think the small clubs have a legitimate gripe. To me it all centres around two issues.

The AFL is tight arse in supporting the smaller clubs despite their enormous revenue stream and would rather take a cut from well run and fiscally sensible clubs like us instead of out of their own coffers.

Compounding this is the smaller clubs being completely bent over and taken for a ride with the Etihad deal. Until the inequity of that is addressed (and Port have similar limitations in Adelaide and see how they are faring) I don't see how they can compete in fairness.

Hawthorn was the only club providing anything like a sensible solution, as extreme as it was, in all of that debate. Good on them for identifying and recognising it.

I know how they feel. I went to the KISS concert on Wednesday night.....$28.50 for three beers!

I know how they feel. I went to the KISS concert on Wednesday night.....$28.50 for three beers!

It's a fricken terrible venue for a concert. Went to Pearl Jam there a few moons ago and while the concert was rad it just could have been so much better at a good venue. It stinks as a sporting venue too. You can barely see a thing from the third level in my AFL experience there. Overhanded with the Soccer too, the security are a joke and what the hell is with telling the supporters they can't stand up! So glad Victory are over at Aami Park now.

It's a fricken terrible venue for a concert. Went to Pearl Jam there a few moons ago and while the concert was rad it just could have been so much better at a good venue. It stinks as a sporting venue too. You can barely see a thing from the third level in my AFL experience there. Overhanded with the Soccer too, the security are a joke and what the hell is with telling the supporters they can't stand up! So glad Victory are over at Aami Park now.

I hate it so much I have amended my legends membership to MCG only. I will be watching round 1 on TV.

I have long advocated a retreat from the handout mentality. Much better to build stronger clubs through better systems and people than throwing money at the problem.

You wonder if the hand outs would even be needed if the smaller clubs weren't totally hamstrung by poor stadium deals. That may or may not have been shit decisions at the time by the administrators of the day but they are still inheritently unfair and limiting for those clubs. That fundamental fact needs to be addressed before talks of handouts is even discussed.

But seeings as it was brought up, clubs like Collingwood are draw cards. As a result we receive prime time games because that is what the broadcasters and sponsors want. Small clubs get a severely restricted sniff of this exposure as a result. They can be the best managed club going around but are still very unlikely to make positive progress as a result.

The AFL is the major recipient of this windfall, it's why they allow it. Because they allow it (for their own and presumably the games benefit) that wealth should be evenly re-distributed to clubs that the arrangement is being made to the detriment of. That is only fair. Hell it's not even fair if you ask me. Fair would be an even distribution of Friday and Saturday night games that gives those clubs the opportunity to grow their brands and build their clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wonder if the hand outs would even be needed if the smaller clubs weren't totally hamstrung by poor stadium deals. That may or may not have been shit decisions at the time by the administrators of the day but they are still inheritently unfair and limiting for those clubs. That fundamental fact needs to be addressed before talks of handouts is even discussed.

But seeings as it was brought up, clubs like Collingwood are draw cards. As a result we receive prime time games because that is what the broadcasters and sponsors want. Small clubs get a severely restricted sniff of this exposure as a result. They can be the best managed club going around but are still very unlikely to make positive progress as a result.

The AFL is the major recipient of this windfall, it's why they allow it. Because they allow it (for their own and presumably the games benefit) that wealth should be evenly re-distributed to clubs that the arrangement is being made to the detriment of. That is only fair. Hell it's not even fair if you ask me. Fair would be an even distribution of Friday and Saturday night games that gives those clubs the opportunity to grow their brands and build their clubs.
Until a grass roots program is implemented to turn around a very lop sided competition there will be ongoing inequities however the AFL try to throw money at it. Half arsed laws are no help either, time to get ALL the clubs involved - sure it will be a brawl at first but its too important to exclude anyone. Time for the AFL to take a back seat and LISTEN to informed opinion instead of trying to impose their half arsed theories on the competition.

OOOPs end rant :oops:

Bloody hell...........that's happy hour price in Singapore.....we jump at the below $10 beers...
You guys are so lucky.........beer prices in Singapore are enough to drive a man to drink...

And then broke I'm guessing! Holy crap that's obscene.

I lived with a dude from Norway back in Uni. He decided to transfer to Australia because he heard the beer was cheap. Poor bastard, the last big tax on beer had come in and slabs were pushing $40+ bucks. He then discovered that Smirnoff was like $22 at the time and was stoked. Norway, not that far from Russia, but was atleast three times the cost than here and we are a world away. Go figure.

I still think our general "she'll be right" careless attitude means we get seriously reamed on most retail shopping. Compare us to most "remote" countries in the world and what we pay just doesn't stack up.

I still think our general "she'll be right" careless attitude means we get seriously reamed on most retail shopping. Compare us to most "remote" countries in the world and what we pay just doesn't stack up.

I maintain that if this were any other country in the world there would be riots in the streets over some of the stuff that goes on here. From the cost of living to our inadequate public transport system to our piss-poor excuse for political leaders. Nobody else in the world would put up with it but for some reason we do.

I maintain that if this were any other country in the world there would be riots in the streets over some of the stuff that goes on here. From the cost of living to our inadequate public transport system to our piss-poor excuse for political leaders. Nobody else in the world would put up with it but for some reason we do.

I know. And yet somehow it works. Admittedly probably not as well as it could. I think it boils down to our access to a continent worth of resources and the wealth that generates and the impacts that we are in turn insulated from. We are incredibly lucky individuals really. Actually I feel we are incredibly wasteful.

Check out Norways system of dealing with their resources. This has nothing to do with the above reference to Norway by the way. They have enormous wealth resulting from offshore oil. We are similar but our real money spinner is coal. You know what Norway does? They put their resources out to tender and let the highest bidder, the market, dictate what access to that resource will cost. They do it in a measured way and at their own leisure.

In contrast you know what we do? We issue an exploratory mining licence. How much does that cost? Depends on the jurisdiction (this discord between states) but it equates to roughly $15,000. That means that a mining company can be sewing up a multi million or billion dollar mining activity for a comparitive pittance. With sweet fa tax to account for it.

That is wrong. It's our, every citizen of this countries, wealth. But while we are all kept relatively happy and wealthy people are loath to question it. In reality it is total bollocks!

I know. And yet somehow it works. Admittedly probably not as well as it could. I think it boils down to our access to a continent worth of resources and the wealth that generates and the impacts that we are in turn insulated from. We are incredibly lucky individuals really. Actually I feel we are incredibly wasteful.

Check out Norways system of dealing with their resources. This has nothing to do with the above reference to Norway by the way. They have enormous wealth resulting from offshore oil. We are similar but our real money spinner is coal. You know what Norway does? They put their resources out to tender and let the highest bidder, the market, dictate what access to that resource will cost. They do it in a measured way and at their own leisure.

In contrast you know what we do? We issue an exploratory mining licence. How much does that cost? Depends on the jurisdiction (this discord between states) but it equates to roughly $15,000. That means that a mining company can be sewing up a multi million or billion dollar mining activity for a comparitive pittance. With sweet fa tax to account for it.

That is wrong. It's our, every citizen of this countries, wealth. But while we are all kept relatively happy and wealthy people are loath to question it. In reality it is total bollocks!
Good points brought up but you don't even have to go that far. Just go to your local shopping centre, look around at the shoppers - they put up with 5th rate service and shoddy goods without so much as a peep, instead of complaining they simply don't go back to that store again - shopping with your feet as its called. That may be fine from an individual viewpoint but it gives the wrong message to shopkeepers - especially the corporate shopkeepers.

A determinedly angry customer or two in the complaint managers face every day or two will do more than any amount of 'shopping with your feet' to change the corporate mindset about just what is and isn't acceptable service.

Bloody hell...........that's happy hour price in Singapore.....we jump at the below $10 beers...
You guys are so lucky.........beer prices in Singapore are enough to drive a man to drink...

so true,ive done about 22 trips to Singapore and the beer prices always do my head in

the only way get decent prices Ive found was along the boat quay during the various bars and restaurants happy hours but it meant that you had to keep moving place every hour or so.

As bad as things may seem here, many places are worse.

An example: I recently spent some time in Shanghai. It has an awesome public transport system. The 430 km/h maglev train from the airport was a lot of fun (Melbourne could do with one of those!). Great energy on the streets. Inspiring modern building architecture...

... but I didn't see a blue sky in any of the nine days I was there. And it wasn't due to cloud, it was due to smog. It's normal for office workers to wear facemasks - so much so that face masks have become a fashion accessory with funky designs.

As much as a decent public transport system would be good (and Sydney needs fixing so much more than Melbourne), I'll take my blue sky thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dinner at Silks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back